SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Year 2020, and I'm..... returning to revolvers for CCW
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Year 2020, and I'm..... returning to revolvers for CCW Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Here's a new speedloader company:

https://zetasix.com/

I have older models I bought 15 years ago.

Thanks for posting this. I picked up a couple J frame speed loaders.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Radioman,

Have you put it to paper and a timer to see what you actually shoot better (or if you actually shoot either better)?

I can get liking revolvers better, but in a SHTF situation, which is the reason for carrying, which gives you more advantage over an attacker?

Oh, there are others that I shoot better. M&P compact to name one. But confidence is part of the equation too. I always feel like I'm going to get Glock Leg with the M&P compact (Or would "M&P leg" be a better term, if there is such a term). I've never felt this way with any of the revolvers. I can't quite put it into words, but there's a certain comfort that I have with the revolvers that I don't have with the others. Part of it could be because I've shot about 10 times the amount of ammo through revolvers in the past 40 years, compared to the semi-autos.

When I did Practical Pistol some years ago, it was 100% revolver. That probably figures in too.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Zeta six tip.

Think about the Boraii for pocket carry. Keeps the revolver upright for me.
Here's the link for a Smith J frame....$16.99
https://www.boraii.com/store/p...O_full_underlug.html

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention the M&P. I also consider the Glock Leg issue. I generally consider carrying a striker gun with no manual safety as tantamount to carrying a modern 1911 cocked and unlocked.

However my solution would be to go to a striker gun with a safety. Yes, I know that's a training issue. People seem terrified of the concept that under pressure, they'll forget to deactivate the safety. My take is just train safety deactivation/reactivation into your muscle memory. And, of course, pretty much all the M&Ps are available with manual safeties.

I don't know if that would get you over the semi-auto hump, but it's something to think about.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Radioman,

Have you put it to paper and a timer to see what you actually shoot better (or if you actually shoot either better)?

I can get liking revolvers better, but in a SHTF situation, which is the reason for carrying, which gives you more advantage over an attacker?

Oh, there are others that I shoot better. M&P compact to name one. But confidence is part of the equation too. I always feel like I'm going to get Glock Leg with the M&P compact (Or would "M&P leg" be a better term, if there is such a term). I've never felt this way with any of the revolvers. I can't quite put it into words, but there's a certain comfort that I have with the revolvers that I don't have with the others. Part of it could be because I've shot about 10 times the amount of ammo through revolvers in the past 40 years, compared to the semi-autos.

When I did Practical Pistol some years ago, it was 100% revolver. That probably figures in too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny you mention the M&P. I also consider the Glock Leg issue. I generally consider carrying a striker gun with no manual safety as tantamount to carrying a modern 1911 cocked and unlocked.

That's exactly how I feel. I recall when carrying a 1911 cocked and locked was considered something that was for only those with extensive training in such. For the rest of us, it was the DA revolver.

quote:

However my solution would be to go to a striker gun with a safety. Yes, I know that's a training issue. People seem terrified of the concept that under pressure, they'll forget to deactivate the safety. My take is just train safety deactivation/reactivation into your muscle memory. And, of course, pretty much all the M&Ps are available with manual safeties.

I don't know if that would get you over the semi-auto hump, but it's something to think about.

You know, I've thought about it quite a bit since you posted this. Recall back in the 90's when many LEO agencies were making the switch from revolvers to semi-auto. There was much discussion about the training required for that transition to occur.

I recall reading about Wash DC in particular going from Smith Revolvers to Glocks, and, I recall that some of the veteran cops had a real rough time making the switch. Not just marksmanship, but other factors. After all, some of these guys had been training with, carrying, dry firing, and even competing with revolvers for many decades. It just wasn't "comfortable" for them to make the switch to a semi-auto without a lot of effort.

I honestly believe I may be one of those "problem people" who did so much with revolvers over the years that my brain's reflexes are so entrenched into revolvers that somehow the switch was never made toward semi-autos. For me, loading, unloading, trigger feel, holstering and generally handling a revolver is like a reflex. I don't even give it thought, it just happens.

On the other hand, with a semi auto, I've always have to "think" about loading it, pulling the slide back, clambering a round, lowering the hammer (for SA/DA guns like the classic P=series Sigs), making the gun safe (e.g. making sure the chamber is empty)...... all these functions for me take manual thought. It's not a reflex.

That's the best I can do on explaining it. I just feel more confident with a revolver. I suppose I could make more effort on making a semi-auto more second nature, but to be brutally honest, I no longer shoot the thousands upon thousands of rounds per year that I did 20 to 30 years ago.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I carry an SP101 from time to time. Heavy little runt. Dont feel undergunned at all.

It is a solid little gun. I carried mine for the first time in a while and agree, I don't feel undergunned at all.

Check out my blog at ammdog.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: January 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find a J frame fits my lifestyle best. I don't feel under gunned and it's sure better than no gun at all.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I hear what your saying. I have two opposite reactions.

First is to agree. If you think it's the right way to go, it is. The likelihood of ever actually shooting a gun in a defensive situation is low, and if so, the chance of needing more than five or six rounds is somewhat low. And if you're confident with the gun, the chance of a screw up under pressure are lower.

But on the other hand, the gun geek in me is saying that if you can get comfortable with autos, they have too many advantages to ignore. I'm not going to reiterate them, you know them just as well as I do. Part of how I think about this comes down to the answer to the question, if I got caught is one of the several mass shootings that have occurred over the last decade with a normal CCW carry set up, what would I want that setup to be? I'll tell you right now, it wouldn't be a 5-shot .38 snub, or even the 6-shot K-frame.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

That's exactly how I feel. I recall when carrying a 1911 cocked and locked was considered something that was for only those with extensive training in such. For the rest of us, it was the DA revolver.

quote:

You know, I've thought about it quite a bit since you posted this. Recall back in the 90's when many LEO agencies were making the switch from revolvers to semi-auto. There was much discussion about the training required for that transition to occur.

I recall reading about Wash DC in particular going from Smith Revolvers to Glocks, and, I recall that some of the veteran cops had a real rough time making the switch. Not just marksmanship, but other factors. After all, some of these guys had been training with, carrying, dry firing, and even competing with revolvers for many decades. It just wasn't "comfortable" for them to make the switch to a semi-auto without a lot of effort.

I honestly believe I may be one of those "problem people" who did so much with revolvers over the years that my brain's reflexes are so entrenched into revolvers that somehow the switch was never made toward semi-autos. For me, loading, unloading, trigger feel, holstering and generally handling a revolver is like a reflex. I don't even give it thought, it just happens.

On the other hand, with a semi auto, I've always have to "think" about loading it, pulling the slide back, clambering a round, lowering the hammer (for SA/DA guns like the classic P=series Sigs), making the gun safe (e.g. making sure the chamber is empty)...... all these functions for me take manual thought. It's not a reflex.

That's the best I can do on explaining it. I just feel more confident with a revolver. I suppose I could make more effort on making a semi-auto more second nature, but to be brutally honest, I no longer shoot the thousands upon thousands of rounds per year that I did 20 to 30 years ago.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I carry a 2" K6S occasionally in the summer, with a speed loader and/or a speed strip. I'm confident/competent with it, but I prefer the quicker reloading of a semi auto.

Now, if someone would just come out with a 12 rd belt fed revolver... Razz

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Something like a modern version of this?

quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I carry a 2" K6S occasionally in the summer, with a speed loader and/or a speed strip. I'm confident/competent with it, but I prefer the quicker reloading of a semi auto.

Now, if someone would just come out with a 12 rd belt fed revolver... Razz

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I knew someone would have an image of one. I'll bet holsters are hard to find.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I carried a J frame for years before upping it to my G26. If the slide ever becomes too much to handle, then it's back to the J frame.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I haven't carried (besides my M29 occasionally) a revolver in a couple years.

Forgot how handy they are especially in cold regions. having a Jframe in your coat pocket is often quicker than belt carry.

Picked up a LCR in 9mm yesterday

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

On Monday, I visited a small Yoop gun shop. Lo and behold, a used Ruger LCR .357 was in the case. It now is on my dresser. Great trigger!
My wife really likes hers. It goes with her every day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the LCR in 38 special. Nice for concealed carry.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
The LCR in .327 Fed. Magnum hits all the right notes for me, personally. That sixth shot is just icing on the cake.
I, too, feel that things are "just right" with a revolver.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I occasionally pocket carry a J-frame when I just need a quick solution. Today, I carried my SP101 .357 for the first time in about 12 years. I definitely didn't feel undergunned. The fireball with full power magnums from that little cannon is enough to put the fear of God in a would-be assailant. Big Grin

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
The LCR in .327 Fed. Magnum hits all the right notes for me, personally. That sixth shot is just icing on the cake.
I, too, feel that things are "just right" with a revolver.

Any thoughts on the SP101 in .327 Fed? That looks like a great combination of gun/caliber.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. I appreciate & find revolvers easier to carry especially IWB. Their curves & radius mend more towards ones body than the edges on pistols. They often print less too. Sometimes the only limit to 6 rounds is you Smile
I’m a big fan of the hammerless DAO SP101 & the S&W MP340. Modern 38+P is more than capable.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
My wife she like my LCR .38 SPL+P 5 shot.I am 70 and she is 67,when we go for walks she CC it.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post