SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Year 2020, and I'm..... returning to revolvers for CCW
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Year 2020, and I'm..... returning to revolvers for CCW Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
I'm switching between a 1 7/8" model-60 J-frame and a 4" K-frame, depending on what I'm wearing. Down to 5 or 6 in the cylinder plus one or two speed loaders.

In the spirit of "A man's got to know his limitations," I just feel more confident with my revolvers. They are like an extension of my hand. I have awesome grips for them, I shoot them well, I have Milt Sparks leather that I like, and I feel safer re-holstering since I can put my thumb on that hammer as I was taught to do. (I know, I know, the P228 has a hammer too). I can load/unload the thing in like 2 seconds.

Don't know how to explain it, but there's just a certain confidence that I have with the revolver.

God gave me 2 gifts: Run and Fight. Being not an LEO or church security guard, my plan is to use Run, so I just need enough shots to give me a head start to get the heck out of a situation and start my Run from the bad guy. Hopefully 5 or 6 plus a reload or two gives me that head start Smile

Any there others here who are carrying a revolver in this 3rd decade of the 21st century, or am I alone here?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
My EDC when I run service calls every day is a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace laser grips in an Galco glove ankle holster. Don't carry any spare ammo with me. For sure not the best set up, but when I wear a tee shirt every day and lay down under sinks etc, I don't need a gun digging into my side when I lay on it.
When I'm not working I carry a FN 509 midsize IWB.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Your not alone.
I carry a model 49 j-frame most of time.

Posts: 1550 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My M&P 340 ends up with me quite often, I'm really fond of that little wheel gun.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry an SP101 from time to time. Heavy little runt. Dont feel undergunned at all.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried my J - Frame S&W 340 PD for years now. I went through 3 small semi autos trying to find the perfect carry and had reliability issues with all of them. A revolver always works even if I sacrifice a bit of accuracy with a 1 7/8 inch barrel.

Rich -
P226R 9MM
P239 .40 / .357
S&W 340 PD
S&W 1911DK
SA Saint Edge Ar
Buckmark Camper

Posts: 62 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: March 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The less reliable my hands have gotten, the more I appreciate them.

I also carry, often, in a densely pedestrian area, with a fair amount of street people.

I think they are a better option for very close quarters.

Honestly, I think most cops would be better served with lightweight 8 shot revolvers.

I know they don’t shoot “mad dogs” much anymore, but they are easier to maintain, and I think there are lots of departments where they are more likely to put a crippled animal down, than get in a prolonged shoot out.

Posts: 5726 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to know the area you live, if 5 rounds will work that is great.
Near me 2 weeks ago there was a homeowner vs bad guy shootout.
The guy arrived home and bad guy jumped out of bushes. A total of 27 shots fired between the two people. There was a home invasion in Houston last year where over 70 rounds were fired by all parties involved.
So I no longer believe that 3 feet 3 shot nonsense. I will carry the extra ammo for the rest of my life and if I never need it that was 3 pounds of weight I carried for no reason, I can live with that.

I carry a S&W 340sc as a BUG but have a full size semi auto with 2 spare mags as primary because, reasons.....

Posts: 15 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I'm doing the same this year. Kimber 3" DASA, or Kimber 2", or a Model 66.

The fusion holster with ulticlip is the perfect hoslter for my setup.

I'm going all revolver this year with the occasional G43X carried when appropriate.

Nice to change it up occasionally.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
I carried a J frame on the ankle as a BUG while on the job. Now that I'm retired, I'm going back to the J frame along with a 4 1/4" 1911.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
I too am a fan of the wheel gun. The better "concealable" revolvers are clearly the 38 and 357 snubs. Yes, I know there are others; but, my comments are directed at these. I just can't get past the "quality", for lack of a better term, of defensive ammo.

It just seems that in researching self-defense ammo, they (manufacturers) just can't seem to come up with or develop a good defensive round. When I do carry my snub nosed revolvers, I carry a form of a semi wadcutter with a flat meplat. In light of how close the 38 and 9mm are to one another, one would think a quality 38 round could be developed.

I did not address 357 ammo in a snub nose as they really are a conundrum when being shot in a short barrel offering small advantages at the expense of large disadvantages, in my opinion.

I love carrying my 38s; but, they are not my regular day to day carry guns.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I carry my SP 101 every Monday night.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Monday, I visited a small Yoop gun shop. Lo and behold, a used Ruger LCR .357 was in the case. It now is on my dresser. Great trigger!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Been carrying a Kimber 6S and been shooting a Colt King Cobra Carry that I really like too. It may find its way into the rotation.

I usually carry Carbon or Gold Dot .38+P with Gold Dot .357 for one of the reloads. Usually carry a couple of speed strips and/or a speed loader.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had been carrying my Colt Cobra 2017 in a IWB leather holster however, due to back problems I went to something lighter (Doctors orders). It is a Colt Cobra cira 1970. I use a Wright Leather works "Banshee" and is very comfortable.

I like the ease of changing from practice ammo to carry ammo to snake loads with out having to rack a slide. So do my arthritic hands.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Due to heat/humidity carry in summer is difficult- so a pocket SIG P938 gets the nod. Really nice gun. The LCP will not work for me due to size 12 hands- very hard to pull the trigger. The 911 action w/ safety is super.

Other times I like my S&W 642 w/Crimson trace grips. Wonderful. +P is not fun. My "normal" load is 1-2 Frangibles and the rest hollow points.

I had a detective tell me the laser is a big deal. He also has the 642 laser on his ankle. He said he likes it at night as all he has to do is hit the "target" with the laser and they stop.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drmajor:

...Other times I like my S&W 642 w/Crimson trace grips. Wonderful. +P is not fun...

"Not fun" is accurate. So is "painful" if you're dumb enough to shoot a box of 50 rds.

I still have my 642 but no longer carry it as I have an LCP and "several" other guns.

And welcome to the forum! You've already figured out our discussions are not limited to Sigs.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I'm a wheelgun fan but prefer my SIG P938 Blackwood for concealed carry. A pleasure to shoot, accurate, flawless, excellent night sights, more capacity than most revolvers, easy to conceal and good looking.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Radioman,

Have you put it to paper and a timer to see what you actually shoot better (or if you actually shoot either better)?

I can get liking revolvers better, but in a SHTF situation, which is the reason for carrying, which gives you more advantage over an attacker?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a new speedloader company:

https://zetasix.com/

I have older models I bought 15 years ago.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post