SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealed carry and traffic stops
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed carry and traffic stops Login/Join 
posted
I'm sure this has been posted but with many new members and people getting their permits to carry, I thought I'd pass on some advice. By no means am I a lawyer and take what I say however you want.
I was stopped yesterday May 7th on my way to work for speeding. 8 miles over the limit but I know it's their job.
Ohio State Patrolman approached the driver's side window and said, "Do you know why I'm stopping you today sir?"
I'm always carrying as soon as I leave my house so my pistol was on me.
My response: "Sir, by law I am required to inform you that I am carrying a concealed weapon".
Yes his hand went to his pistol. He didn't draw down on me but I know this is out of his safety. He doesn't know me. For all he knows, I'm a crazy man.
If you've never been stopped before, don't freak out. He's doing his job.
OSP: "Where is the weapon located?"
Me: "Inside my right side waistband".
OSP: "Alright sir, I'm going to have you exit the vehicle slowly".
He then opens my door, yes, hand on his pistol and guides me out. I am put in a finger/wrist lock of some sort(I'm not a LEO so I don't know) and he slowly retrieves my pistol from the holster. I am then frisked to make sure I don't have anything else on me. Again, don't freak out. He's doing his job.
I sit back in my car and then wait. After a few minutes, I am handed my DL, CCW license, registration and insurance card. A ticket also.
I am given my 2 magazines for the pistol but am asked if I could pop my trunk so he can place the pistol in there. No problem.
So a couple of points here.
#1. Don't freak out. You act crazy, something will happen and it'll probably be bad.
#2. Keep your registration, insurance card and whatever else in your visor above you. You start reaching around when you've informed him you're carrying and bad things may happen.
#3. Listen to his orders. He doesn't know you. He wants to go home and so do you.
#4. Keep your hands on the steering wheel until he asks for documents or licenses. Pretty simple. He can see your hands.
#5. Again, don't freak out. You're a law abiding person.

Just some friendly tips. All in all, it was a routine stop. This is the 4th time I've been stopped while carrying(3x in Ohio, 1x in Michigan) and they all went smoothly.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
This right here is why I never verbally tell officers I'm carrying. Saying the word firearm, gun, pistol, etc always tends to put them on edge. Rather, I simply hand my LTC along with my DL to the officer. That way, I've informed them without having to use any hot button words.

To that end, if I was disarmed in this instance I would be pissed. From the sound of it there was no need and the officer had no reason to believe you were a threat, on what basis did he decide to disarm you?

I can appreciate that some might not have issue with it, but personally I would. To each his own.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigM4, in some states it's a law. You have to inform them you're carrying. I do believe Michigan is one.
I did not take any offense to it at all. He doesn't know me and I have the utmost respect for law enforcement.
Until he runs my information through the system and sees I have no warrants, no arrests or anything, I am a potential threat. Period. When you go out grocery shopping, out to supper, anywhere in public and someone approaches that you don't know, what are you thinking? Condition yellow. Most times it's nothing but you're on guard. Same with LEO's.
I could do anything. Run away, drive off, get out of the car and start something, etc.
Actually at the end when he was handing documents back to me, we had a conversation. Not best friend type of thing but light none the less.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that people who are going to start trouble with an officer probably won't bother informing him/her that they are carrying a concealed weapon.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
SigM4, in some states it's a law. You have to inform them you're carrying. I do believe Michigan is one.

And I get that, but does the law specifically say that "inform" has to be verbal? The law in Texas does not. Thus, why I take the stance that by handing them my LTC I have now informed them. If they fail to look at it, or otherwise disregard it, that's their issue. I just find it to be a more subtle and less threatening method of informing. I've always been of the assumption that using the works gun, firearm, pistol, etc have the tendency to put the LEO on alert when it's not needed.

As to my comment about being disarmed, I do wonder if it's simply a difference in culture. If a cop disarmed everyone he came in contact with that was carrying in Texas he'd have little time left in the day to do anything else. Of the handful of times I've been stopped/contacted the officer actually acted more at ease once they knew I was carrying and/or and LTC holder. So, to that end I guess that's why I would be so shocked at being disarmed.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

And I get that, but does the law specifically say that "inform" has to be verbal? The law in Texas does not. Thus, why I take the stance that by handing them my LTC I have now informed them. If they fail to look at it, or otherwise disregard it, that's their issue. I just find it to be a more subtle and less threatening method of informing. I've always been of the assumption that using the works gun, firearm, pistol, etc have the tendency to put the LEO on alert when it's not needed.

I think some are verbal but I'm not absolutely certain.
Words are definitely alerting to some law enforcement and the neighborhood I was traveling through was not the greatest.
My business I own is in a terrible place which is why I carry.
I will have to find the Ohio website and look. It's been a while and I know things change.

posted Hide Post
Traffic Stops and Other Law Enforcement Encounters
If a person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying
a concealed handgun as a CCW licensee, whether in a motor vehicle
or not, he shall promptly inform the law enforcement officer that he
is carrying a concealed handgun. If in a vehicle, the licensee shall
remain in the vehicle and keep his hands in plain sight at all times.
Violating this section of law is a first-degree misdemeanor, and in
addition to any other penalty handed down by a court, may result
in the suspension of the person’s concealed handgun license for
one year. A permit holder is not required to inform law enforcement of
his status if he is not carrying a firearm.

This is from the Ohio website.

Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I've been a LEO for 19+ years and I'm appalled at the way some LEO's treat law abiding, gun carrying people.

I would never treat anyone the way the OP was treated. Asked out of the car, only to be frisked? Based on what? The safest place for a handgun is in the holster. And then, it's to be placed in the trunk?

So now, the driver has to wait until the LEO leaves, then faces the risk of getting hit my another vehicle as he gets out to retrieve his (probably unloaded) handgun from the trunk?

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
quote:

Until he runs my information through the system and sees I have no warrants, no arrests or anything, I am a potential threat. Period.

So, guilty until being proven innocent?

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
so glad Georgia doesn't have this stupid law.

Just another example of punishing law-abiding citizens with a law that nobody who isn't law-abiding would ever bother to obey.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
quote:

Until he runs my information through the system and sees I have no warrants, no arrests or anything, I am a potential threat. Period.

So, guilty until being proven innocent?

I didn't make any assumptions, I just followed orders from the trooper.
I wouldn't say "guilty" as much him being safe. Unless he knew me personally, I could be anything. Drug dealer, have a warrant, just committed a crime, whatever.
I did not feel I was mistreated in any way. In the grand scheme of things, just a grain of sand.

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
The trunk thing is dual purpose....he doesn't want you handling the gun in his presence...and he also gets a free look in your trunk without probable cause. Clever.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
The trunk thing is dual purpose....he doesn't want you handling the gun in his presence...and he also gets a free look in your trunk without probable cause. Clever.

I was thinking that also. Only thing in the trunk is a snow brush.
Since I do obey the law and I'm not a drug user or homicidal maniac storing bodies in my trunk, I didn't care.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
I've been a LEO for 19+ years and I'm appalled at the way some LEO's treat law abiding, gun carrying people.

I would never treat anyone the way the OP was treated. Asked out of the car, only to be frisked? Based on what? The safest place for a handgun is in the holster. And then, it's to be placed in the trunk?

So now, the driver has to wait until the LEO leaves, then faces the risk of getting hit my another vehicle as he gets out to retrieve his (probably unloaded) handgun from the trunk?

And you're exactly correct on everything you said.
I obey the laws for concealed carry because I value the ability to carry a pistol. I don't want to lose my license so I go along.
As stated, the times I've been pulled over, I have never been mistreated. Not once have I been told that I shouldn't be carrying. Never been yelled at or drawn down on.

posted Hide Post
Yep.... The frisk and removal was excessive.
And 8 over? Low quality pinch.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Road tax collection.

As far as verbally telling the LEO that you have the gun, this vastly depends on state law. But if the law requires it, I'd do it verbally? Why? Many LEOs now are equipped with body mic (with or without a body camera.) Assuming there's at least a dash cam, the video might not pick up the fact that you handed the LEO your CCW paperwork. If you say it verbally, it in the audio recording. If it ever becomes an issue, it's been recorded.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And 8 over? Low quality pinch.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had this discussion with a friend who was a Lieutenant (now retired) with the Orange County Sheriff Department.

In Florida we are not required to inform, but my concern was that if LE wants me to step out of the vehicle during a stop, it's possible that a sharp eye might notice the way my shirt drapes over a holstered gun. Last thing I want is a nervous cop.

If I were to verbally inform, even though it's not required, my use of the word "gun" (or any synonum) might set a cop on edge.

We agreed that the safest course might be for me to hand my carry permit over, along with license, registration, and insurance document. That way I would be informing, even though not required, and at the same time it would show the LEO that if s/he spotted the gun on my belt, it would be legal.

Probably academic, as it has been more than twenty years since I knowingly exceeded the speed limit. I habitually use cruise control set right at the limit and stay in the rightmost lane that is practical. Can't remember the last time I had a ticket, or was even stopped for a "conversation."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's much different than my experiences in KY.

The last time i was stopped (Bowling Green City Police / Motor Officer) it went like this:

As I handed the officer my DL and CWP, "I have a weapons permit and my weapon is (location of weapon)"

Officer: "That's perfectly OK. We appreciate your telling us"

Gave me a warning. We shook hands.

I love Kentucky.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Probably academic, as it has been more than twenty years since I knowingly exceeded the speed limit. I habitually use cruise control set right at the limit and stay in the rightmost lane that is practical. Can't remember the last time I had a ticket, or was even stopped for a "conversation."

I have a tendency to be 5-8 mph over a posted speed. Won't do it in a school zone because of the childrens, hahaha, but I do clip along.
This was definitely because of the neighborhood I was in. A state route right through a place known for heroin. Not a user but I have to go through it to get to my business, just one of those things.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Seems that way to me. IA does not require notification, but I would do so. CCW info comes back when they run your DL so they're gonna know. I would have done exactly as you did, but afterwards I would have been disappointed.

I've been carrying over 13 years now, have not been stopped since then. On the open road I'm usually going 5 or 6mph over, not a sizzling 8.

In defense of the LEO, maybe your car matched the description of a recent armed robber. But I doubt that was the case.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post