SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealed carry and traffic stops
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed carry and traffic stops Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glad we don't have to inform in most states down south.

Been pulled over several times for various reasons, no muss no fuss.

Now if they ask about weapons or have me exit the vehicle, I would inform at that point.

But not for a simple traffic stop where I'm belted into the drivers seat and is impossible to see unless the LEO has xray vision. It just doesn't need to be injected into a stop and state law pretty much backs that up by not requiring it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I hardly get stopped, over 10 years now. I agree, start with some ‘permit’ verbiage, no ‘gun’ talk.

I just don’t see the reason for cops working the CC holder through disarmament hoops. 1st off, one has to assume any individual is armed. With hands in sight and location of CC weapon known, I doubt the holder will outdraw the officer. That gun is best in it’s holster, not fiddled with while one is a bit tense.

Recent stats show the average CCW holder is 7 times more law abiding than a law enforcement officer. Knowing the stop is a CCW holder should put the officer at a ‘slight’ ease.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

...Knowing the stop is a CCW holder should put the officer at a ‘slight’ ease.

How man bad guys tell the LEO they're carrying?? Sure, some people get upset when the get a ticket, but the disarming still seems excessive.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Unless required, I never tell.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Yep.... The frisk and removal was excessive.

Seems that way to me. IA does not require notification, but I would do so. CCW info comes back when they run your DL so they're gonna know. I would have done exactly as you did, but afterwards I would have been disappointed.

I've been carrying over 13 years now, have not been stopped since then. On the open road I'm usually going 5 or 6mph over, not a sizzling 8.

In defense of the LEO, maybe your car matched the description of a recent armed robber. But I doubt that was the case.

I also agree the frisk and removal were over the line. I’ve been stopped twice while carrying and advised the officer immediately. Both officers were courteous and never had me step out of the vehicle or remove anything. On the first stop as soon as a told the officer that I had a CCW and was carrying he said “I thought so” and immediately let me go with a warning. The second stop the deputy asked what kind of pistol I carried, he also issued a warning.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Did he clear the chambered round and just toss it in the trunk too?

And how are these second-person disarming moves not sweeping the person, with a gun and holster perhaps unfamiliar to the jumpy disarmer?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Did he clear the chambered round and just toss it in the trunk too?

And how are these second-person disarming moves not sweeping the person, with a gun and holster perhaps unfamiliar to the jumpy disarmer?

Pistol's slide was locked back when he put it in the trunk.
I was handed my 2 magazines first and informed that he loaded the chambered round back in the magazine.
As I've said, this was all about the neighborhood I was going through. High crime and heroin area.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Was the trooper young?

FYI, in Ohio, the troopers give you 7 mph over and that's it. 7. We don't even start stopping cars till you hit 16 over. And you still might not get a ticket. That's assuming we even have time to check for speeders. We only make time to sit in school zones during school hours to check for speeders.

90% of my stops with permit holders and they aren't carrying and I chastise them on why they should carry. The 10% that are carrying do notify me as they are required and my usual question is Cool, what are you carrying? Or Ok, don't show me yours and I won't show you mine.

Unless I am arresting you for something (maybe a warrant) then I would never disarm you. There's no need to bring guns out into a situation that doesn't require it. I'm not the type to give all permit holders a pass, there's some shady people out there with permits. Just need to be diligent.

Before I approach a car, I've already ran the owner's info and looked at a photo. If an agency doesn't have computers in the car, at the very least the dispatcher should've advised the officer if he/she gave them the plate.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Was the trooper young?

FYI, in Ohio, the troopers give you 7 mph over and that's it. 7. We don't even start stopping cars till you hit 16 over. And you still might not get a ticket. That's assuming we even have time to check for speeders. We only make time to sit in school zones during school hours to check for speeders.

90% of my stops with permit holders and they aren't carrying and I chastise them on why they should carry. The 10% that are carrying do notify me as they are required and my usual question is Cool, what are you carrying? Or Ok, don't show me yours and I won't show you mine.

Unless I am arresting you for something (maybe a warrant) then I would never disarm you. There's no need to bring guns out into a situation that doesn't require it. I'm not the type to give all permit holders a pass, there's some shady people out there with permits. Just need to be diligent.

Before I approach a car, I've already ran the owner's info and looked at a photo. If an agency doesn't have computers in the car, at the very least the dispatcher should've advised the officer if he/she gave them the plate.

He was young. I'm 50 and I'd say he was mid to upper 20's, maybe 30.
Chowser, being from N.E. Ohio, I know you've heard about Warren/Youngstown area.
Hell, the time I sold you that Glock and we met in Ravenna, I was armed. If I leave the house, it's on me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was handed my 2 magazines first and informed that he loaded the chambered round back in the magazine.

So, you chamber a round and don't replace that round in your mag?

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I guess it also matters where you are. I’ve been pulled 3-4 times and the cops didn’t even care to look at my concealed license.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I understand LEOs have a tough job... but it would seem to me they would realize that if you meant to do them harm it would be way before you informed them you were carrying.

You are required to inform here in S.C. and it has been suggested to me when stopped to just hand them your CWP card along with your drivers license... that's how I do it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It will depend on the issuing agency but Kalif is a must announce state. Failure to announce & if reported could cost you your ccw. Everything else the op noted is correct. Announce sooner than later. Hands on steering wheel & be polite. He or she is doing their job & they want to go home. Just hope you do NOT get the antigun LEO that abuses you for carrying, yes it happens. We are good guys & should be treated as good guys until proven we are not.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a guy tbone me at an intersection a couple years ago. The guy then took off. When the city police came, I told the officer, that I was a chl holder and was carrying. He says no problem, where's the other guy?

I told him he went to the macdonalds on the next corner. He said, You let him, I said well I was not gonna shoot him. He just smiled.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I practice a policy of "don't ask, don't tell" here in PA.

Have only been pulled over while armed once, and by a bored local cop as I was the only car coming through town at like 1:30 am after a very late movie and he probably thought he had an easy DUI.

He didn't ask and I didn't tell.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohio is a must notify state.

I've been stopped 5 times since I got my CHL (Concealed Handgun License), which means I've been stopped 5 times while armed, since I "never leave home without it."

Two gave me a ticket, three gave me a warning. NONE of them disarmed me, or even seemed concerned. Two of them actually thanked me for carrying, one of them after talking guns for few minutes.

Disarming someone to simply give them a ticket should literally be a crime. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I'm sure this has been posted but with many new members and people getting their permits to carry, I thought I'd pass on some advice. By no means am I a lawyer and take what I say however you want.
I was stopped yesterday May 7th on my way to work for speeding. 8 miles over the limit but I know it's their job.
Ohio State Patrolman approached the driver's side window and said, "Do you know why I'm stopping you today sir?"
I'm always carrying as soon as I leave my house so my pistol was on me.
My response: "Sir, by law I am required to inform you that I am carrying a concealed weapon".
Yes his hand went to his pistol. He didn't draw down on me but I know this is out of his safety. He doesn't know me. For all he knows, I'm a crazy man.
If you've never been stopped before, don't freak out. He's doing his job.
OSP: "Where is the weapon located?"
Me: "Inside my right side waistband".
OSP: "Alright sir, I'm going to have you exit the vehicle slowly".
He then opens my door, yes, hand on his pistol and guides me out. I am put in a finger/wrist lock of some sort(I'm not a LEO so I don't know) and he slowly retrieves my pistol from the holster. I am then frisked to make sure I don't have anything else on me. Again, don't freak out. He's doing his job.
I sit back in my car and then wait. After a few minutes, I am handed my DL, CCW license, registration and insurance card. A ticket also.
I am given my 2 magazines for the pistol but am asked if I could pop my trunk so he can place the pistol in there. No problem.
So a couple of points here.
#1. Don't freak out. You act crazy, something will happen and it'll probably be bad.
#2. Keep your registration, insurance card and whatever else in your visor above you. You start reaching around when you've informed him you're carrying and bad things may happen.
#3. Listen to his orders. He doesn't know you. He wants to go home and so do you.
#4. Keep your hands on the steering wheel until he asks for documents or licenses. Pretty simple. He can see your hands.
#5. Again, don't freak out. You're a law abiding person.

Just some friendly tips. All in all, it was a routine stop. This is the 4th time I've been stopped while carrying(3x in Ohio, 1x in Michigan) and they all went smoothly.
I agree with everything you say! I will only add this : When stopped never use the word gun especially at night or any other time the police have doubled up. The officer that has covered the right side hears the word gun may just start shooting. This has actually happened! Like you said" hand over your lience, registration, and permit at the same time and don't speak until you are required to!

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I'm an Ohio resident and CCW holder. You must have got a newbie trooper. I carry sometimes while riding my motorcycle and I've been pulled over for speeding. Kept my hands on the bars, immediately informed the officer of my permit and where I was wearing my weapon. To date, none of them have seemed the least bit concerned.
Sheriff's Deputies can be another matter, but I refuse to engage in roadside discussions of legalities with law enforcement period. Doesn't do any good.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loaded Round:
That's much different than my experiences in KY.

The last time i was stopped (Bowling Green City Police / Motor Officer) it went like this:

As I handed the officer my DL and CWP, "I have a weapons permit and my weapon is (location of weapon)"

Officer: "That's perfectly OK. We appreciate your telling us"

Gave me a warning. We shook hands.

I love Kentucky.

Same interaction I’ve had in Minnesota with local cops and highway patrol

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have never disarmed someone legally carrying a firearm.
I have seen a couple folks do it and afterward ask them why they did. Never got a good answer. The less handling of the weapon the better. I also have never had a legally carrying person act weird or hinkey either that would cause me any concern.
If they were acting strange or overly nervous things may go differently but I have never experienced it.
I can’t say I’ll never do it based upon totality of the circumstances but I have been at it for awhile and have yet to do it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post