SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealed carry and traffic stops
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed carry and traffic stops Login/Join 
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
In PA, it does not automatically pop up that the person has a LTCF. I believe the dispatched has to run the info through another screen.

At first, they did this automatically, then they put a stop to that. The officer had to request that info. Then, they changed it yet again and I think they run the screen and tell the officer about the LCTF.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Not sure what information the dispatcher may see on their screen.
But on the computer in the patrol units the ccw permit comes up on the screen when the driver license is ran.

The thing that has changed is when the vehicle registration is checked the owners driver license information does not come up on its own. You must now do a separate entry for the driver license information.

You are no longer allowed to use Probable cause for the traffic stop based on a registration check and the driver license information would automatically come up and may show a suspended driver.
The problem was that the driver of the vehicle may not be the registered owner of the vehicle who has the suspended driver license in the Great Commonwealth of Pa

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
That is ridiculous. I'm glad we don't have to disclose in Alabama.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both times I had contact with LE for minor traffic related issues while carrying, the officer/deputy didn’t care and hardly skipped a beat when I disclosed. The first time, I suspect it actually got me OUT of a ticket for doing 15 over.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a 25 year Ohio LEO and I also teach the CHL classes. I tell my students that as an LEO, most tend to get a little jumpy when someone blurts out they have a gun. I suggest that they advise the officer that they have a CHL first and then advise that they are carrying a handgun.

I have never removed someone from the car and disarmed them(other than people that were not carrying legally). Only once did I get snippy with someone when I ran his license, (he was not the registered owner) and learned that he had a CHL. When I asked him if he was carrying he said "yeah". I asked him why had had not informed me of that little bit of info and he stated that his instructor never told him of that. I advised him that it was in the booklet as well, to which he replied he didn't read it.

I let him know that instead of seizing his pistol, confiscating his CHL, and arresting him, I was just going to cite him for the traffic violations, gave him another copy of the booklet on the CHL laws and suggest that he read it, as it will save him some big problems down the road.

As far as Troopers are concerned, they have opposed Ohio's concealed carry since it was enacted.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marcushoss:

I let him know that instead of seizing his pistol, confiscating his CHL, and arresting him, I was just going to cite him for the traffic violations, gave him another copy of the booklet on the CHL laws and suggest that he read it, as it will save him some big problems down the road.

Why would you say something like that? You were going to arrest him because he didn't inform you right away?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To let him know that he could have been arrested, and had his pistol confiscated and his CHL suspended for failing to notify. Please keep in mind that it was not that he delayed in telling, he did not tell until I asked him. He was not being a jerk, he just had some traffic issues.

He was either lying about not knowing that he had to notify, or he had received some very bad instruction in his training. Without knowing which it was, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and warned him with a teaching moment.

My oldest son was arrested for failing to notify and had his CHL suspended for a year. He attended a "training" from an instructor that was know for giving out certificates for tuition and not requiring the people to attend the training. He did not want have to sit through the class.

So it is possible that the guy was lying to me and it was possible that he was ignorant of the law and the requirements. Either way, I know now that he is aware of the laws, and, should there be a next time.....

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that advising that I have a concealed carry permit is a great way out of a ticket.

Of course I add a charm offensive with the ignorance that I was going that fast...

Worked at even 35 over limit... Cool

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Only thing I take from the OP and some of his subsequent posts -

You keep saying the officer doesn't know if you're a bad guy or what...

How many bad guys start off the conversation with "Officer I have a permit and I am carrying a weapon." ???

I'd wager a $100 that NONE of the bad guys ever start off the conversation that way.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 40 years of law enforcement, I probably took a handgun off a CCW probably 2 or 3 times. It is safe where it is. I got pulled over in Ohio once. Told the Trooper "I'm packing, right hip". He just said "Good on you". That was it.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
I am always relieved when I see the ccw permit because the odds are good they are not a convicted felon or any other violent offender passing the required back ground checks.

Knowing this before I have a chance to run their information.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, handing over a CCW license informs that you have a license, it does not inform that you are armed.

If I was an officer and someone handed me a CCW license, I would ask "are you armed now?" The response is what informs the officer.

This means the officer had to ask because you did not inform up front.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
In my opinion, handing over a CCW license informs that you have a license, it does not inform that you are armed.

If I was an officer and someone handed me a CCW license, I would ask "are you armed now?" The response is what informs the officer.

This means the officer had to ask because you did not inform up front.

Just my opinion.
I have thought about this, and have discussed it with a friend who is senior LEO.
Here in Florida, we do not have to volunteer information, but if asked, we must answer truthfully.

My concern is that if I do not inform and a sharp-eyed cop spots my pistol, that might make him / her nervous. I do not want to deal with a cop who is nervous because of my firearm.

On the other hand, it's probably not a good idea to start a conversation with "I have a gun, yo!"

The consensus is, even though not required, it's not at all a bad idea to include the carry permit with the other documents that are handed over in a traffic stop: license, registration, insurance. That way the officer is informed that a firearm you are carrying is, in fact, legal. Doing it this way, my cop friend said that 99% of the time the scenario will be:

Cop: "Where is the weapon?"

V-Tail: "Holstered, behind my right hip."

Cop: "OK, don't touch it."

This way, we don't have a cop who is startled if s/he spots a concealed firearm, no over-reaction prompted by nerves.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I had this discussion with a friend who was a Lieutenant (now retired) with the Orange County Sheriff Department.

In Florida we are not required to inform, but my concern was that if LE wants me to step out of the vehicle during a stop, it's possible that a sharp eye might notice the way my shirt drapes over a holstered gun. Last thing I want is a nervous cop.

If I were to verbally inform, even though it's not required, my use of the word "gun" (or any synonum) might set a cop on edge.

We agreed that the safest course might be for me to hand my carry permit over, along with license, registration, and insurance document. That way I would be informing, even though not required, and at the same time it would show the LEO that if s/he spotted the gun on my belt, it would be legal.

Probably academic, as it has been more than twenty years since I knowingly exceeded the speed limit. I habitually use cruise control set right at the limit and stay in the rightmost lane that is practical. Can't remember the last time I had a ticket, or was even stopped for a "conversation."
You never know if the officer who comes up to your car has a rookie backing him up. If that rookie hears the word GUN he could panic and start shooting. Even though it's been a long time ago I remember that actually happened. Then, carrying concealed was still quite new but now most Leo's are much more comfortable with it. I hand my permit along with drivers permit to the officer at same time and keep my mouth shout until asked a question.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chansen92:
You never know if the officer who comes up to your car has a rookie backing him up. If that rookie hears the word GUN he could panic and start shooting. Even though it's been a long time ago I remember that actually happened. Then, carrying concealed was still quite new but now most Leo's are much more comfortable with it. I hand my permit along with drivers permit to the officer at same time and keep my mouth shout until asked a question.

In Ohio we are required to inform. I never use the word "gun" when I notify. Here is how my concealed carry instructor recommended we do it.

"Officer, I have a concealed carry license and I am currently armed."

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Arizona we are required by law to answer a LEO, if we have a firearm on us during a traffic stop.

Conversation usually goes like this:

Cop - do you have a weapon on you?

Me- Yes, a Sig 9mm in my belt holster, left side.

COP - Well, don't reach for it.

OR:

COP - Do you have a gun on you?

Me - Yes, zippered closed jacket pocket small 9mm Beretta.

COP - Well, don't show me yours and I won't show you mine.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in SC you are required to inform. Just by handing over your CWP that indicates you are carrying. Why else would you give him your CWP?

The 2X I have been stopped all I was asked is where my gun was and then told to keep it there. I can not imagine being asked to step out of the car and have the gun taken and put in the trunk.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding placing the pistol in the trunk, I agree that it is mostly a trick to see what is in the trunk. The CHL law in Ohio does not mention having to place the firearm in the trunk, so I think it best to tell the LEO that you are not opening the trunk.

When you state that, the officer is on notice that you know what the laws are and that you know what he is trying to do.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I've had 5 encounters, 3 in Wheeling WV and 2 by the OSP. 4 of them were accidents, all 4 were the other persons fault and one was a speeding violation. None of the 5 literally didn't seem to care I was carrying. All 3 WV stops they asked me to put the weapon in the glove box. Once in WV and once in Oh they took my weapons for safe keeping while I went to the hospital and my car was towed. They were both waiting for me outside the emergency room when I was released to give me my handgun back. I guess its a lot of paperwork if they have to keep them overnight. Both asked me why I was carrying a 10 mm, (Glock 29) and why I thought I needed that much firepower. I told them I travel to Cleveland a lot. They seemed to be satisfied with that answer.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think I would have a small problem with any LEO "disarming" me. Most accidents are guns coming out of & going into a holster. Throw in most LEO are not gun people, handling an unknown pistol might become an issue. So lic, reg & ccw permit. then hope the guy/gal is not afraid of good guys with guns.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post