SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealed carry and traffic stops
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed carry and traffic stops Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I got pulled over for speeding, 13 over the limit, about 1 AM the other night near my home in Florida. I rolled down my window and kept my hands on the steering wheel. The officer shined his light on me and asked for my license. When I removed my license from the clear pocket in my wallet he saw my carry permit underneath and asked if I was armed. I told him my gun was in the console. He asked me to exit the truck and asked if I had any other weapons on my person. I told him I had a Benchmade auto knife in my right front pocket. He asked me to lift my shirt and he removed the knife and placed it on my console. Then he asked me to stand behind the truck and went to his cruiser to run my license. He never asked for registration or insurance and it took about 2 minutes for him to come back and hand me my license. Told me to watch my speed and have a nice night. This officer was calm, respectful and professional and he didn't give me a ticket.

Posts: 13 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asteirman
posted Hide Post
Not long ago I was headed to my son’s cabin in Vermont three miles from the Canadian border. I was taking a route I don’t normally use and I missed the turn I was looking for. I rounded a bend and there was the border station for entry into Canada. I slowed down and mad a uturn ...instantly two Border Patrol vehicles pulled me over. I explained that I had no intention to go to Canada and was headed to a town east of the border crossing. They ran my driver’s license and asked if I had any law enforcement contact. I told them no and then they asked if they could search my vehicle with a dog and I said sure. Then they asked if I wanted to get out of the vehicle. Yes ! I said. But oh by the way I have an unloaded shotgun in the back seat and a loaded 38 in my right front pocket.I was asked why I had a 38. Because I can. Then he said that’s a good reason. Vermont is a constitutional carry state with nor permit or need to notify. So I was told to exit the vehicle and keep my hand away from my front pocket. I folded my arms and chatted while they searched my vehicle with the dog and the bed of the truck. After some small talk they said I could leave. I thanked them for their service and shook both of the agents hands. They were surprised I was happy to be searched. These feds were polite and professional. I was happy to have a nice interaction with the Border Patrol

Skill on Demand

Posts: 110 | Location: Republic of Vermont | Registered: April 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I first started as a reserve deputy one of the first things that I was taught was to assume EVERYONE has a gun until proven otherwise.

Seemed like smart concept to me.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
There is no guaranteed good way to inform in states that require it. Even if you inform out of courtesey and respect for the of officer in a state that doesn't required it, the officer may be a really bad listener and react negatively to the word "gun". It's happened to my twice, and I'm in a no-inform required state. So the last thing I say in a traffic stop in my state is "gun", or anything that sounds like it. Some officers are not reasonable, balanced, and intelligent people in general. So unless you get a really good officer, it's a crap shoot.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
There is no requirement to inform in my state. If they don't ask, I don't tell.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will depend on the issuing agency but Kalif is a must announce state.

i think there is some variation from county to county. my issuing county (monterey) requires it. The last renewal class i took was in santa cruz county and they said no. as it is, i must announce anywhere in the state because my issuing county is monterey regardless of where i take the class

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

Definitely this!!!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in SC I was stopped twice. Once just a general check of everyone and the other a small speeding infraction.

During the general check when told I had a CWP and was carrying the officer just said "Fine, keep it where it is."

During the speeding I was asked where I was carrying and then what kind. He said he would prefer to carry an H&K (mine) to an M&P (his) and told me to watch my speed.

No big deal at either stop.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I have not read all the responses to the OP, but I consider my CCW permit a "No Ticket Charm" as I have never gotten a ticket upon producing the CCW permit.

Of course I am pleasant, obviously not a threat and apologetic even at one time at 30 over the limit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EasyFire,

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
general check of everyone

?

Are they checking for "your papers," or what?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:

Definitely this!!!

Poor advice.

Just tell me you are a CHL holder and that you have your firearm on you (in whatever location it is). THen hand me your driver's license, insurance card, and CHL (if applicable)

I'll give you instructions, that 99.99999% of the time are going to be:

"Thank you for informing me, for the remainder of this traffic stop please make sure that it remains right there and you don't handle it until after we have conducted our business."

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:

Definitely this!!!

Poor advice.

Just tell me you are a CHL holder and that you have your firearm on you (in whatever location it is). THen hand me your driver's license, insurance card, and CHL (if applicable)

I'll give you instructions, that 99.99999% of the time are going to be:

"Thank you for informing me, for the remainder of this traffic stop please make sure that it remains right there and you don't handle it until after we have conducted our business."

Kevin

Actually, it's not poor advice. I've read too many threads where officers freak out and turn a "routine stop" into something resembling a felony stop. The person is brought out of the vehicle, hands on the hood.....patted down and the firearm removed like he was Johnny Dangerous.

I've read posts where the gun is removed and maybe disassembled (slide from frame), bullets removed from the magazine......given back or placed in the trunk with a stern warning.......Don't you load that until I'm gone!!!

I'm a 20+ year LE officer and I get asked the question a lot.....inform or not. If required by your state, then you must inform. In my state (PA), there is no duty to inform. I give them an honest answer.......it's going to be a 50/50 shot.

You may get an officer that will just say, thank you....just don't make any sudden movements, etc....we'll take care of business and both go out separate ways.

Or, you'll get the guy who will tense up.......call for back up because the driver is armed.......next thing you know there are 2-3 other cars showing up and everything turns into a shit show.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If the Police says, "Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine," And you say,

"Excuse me while I whip this out!"
you will probably get your ass kicked. ---Chris Rock (maybe)

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I have not read all the posts. I have been stopped twice here in SC. Both times I was given a warning. Here I just give the LEO my DL with the CWP which satisfies my need to inform. I can not even imagine being asked to get out of the car and frisked. As an aside both times I was only asked to keep my hand away from my gun. One LEO asked what kind of gun and said he would have preferred my H&K to his M&P.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopped in my home state, local marshal. He freaked out when I informed him I was armed. I was told to get out prior to anything happening. He took my weapon DL and CCP ran everything and handed me back DL/CCP and ticket, asked about my gun he said he was keeping it!!! I informed him that would be a crime (stealing a firearm) he returned it but was VERY MAD!!!

Stopped in Texas by State Trooper informed her of weapon, she looked me in the eye and said thats fine DL please!!!!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Ive had similar experience

Since I got my CHL/CCP Ive been pulled over 4x in TX and 1x in NC and only 1 ticket.

quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
I have not read all the responses to the OP, but I consider my CCW permit a "No Ticket Charm" as I have never gotten a ticket upon producing the CCW permit.

Of course I am pleasant, obviously not a threat and apologetic even at one time at 30 over the limit.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
In my issuing county in CA we are required to notify.

There isn't mandatory language but it generally says you have to communicate at your first appropriate chance that you are are a CCW holder out of your county and you are carrying one of the weapons on your permit. Then ask the officer how he wants you to proceed and then follow his instructions.

In my renewal class they repeatedly said don't use the word "gun" since you will have a bad day but "weapon" isn't so alarming and if you sit there with your hands on the wheel, things will go much better.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Michigan, according to this document, you need to report the presence of a licensed concealed handgun immediately. They list a court case where someone handed over his CPL forty seconds after the officer approached the window and he cited the driver for not reporting. The courts decided forty seconds was too long before self reporting.

Posts: 27 | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida does not require a CWP holder to disclose he or she is armed unless asked but on the few occasions I have been pulled over I always hand over my permit with DL insurance and registration and tell the officer I am carrying. Never had an the officer freak out on me. While that does happen it seems even from the anecdotal responses to this thread it is is far less likely than a calm response. And I can only imagine the shit show from an overreacting officer if informed if that officer were to learn of the weapon on his or her own without being informed. No thanks. I do not look good in orange. On the whole, I think I will continue to inform and take my chances on a bad reaction. And yeah, I also have found informing does tend to generate goodwill when it comes to whether a citation is issued

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tweedcab
posted Hide Post
I am in PA. There is no need to inform, and I would be surprised that in any state which issues permits the LE doesn't know, simply by running your license, whether or not you have a permit. If you do have one, they should ask if you are carrying. Earlier in the year I was pulled over for speeding and the officer said he noticed I have a permit to carry, and asked if I was. I said yes, Officer, on my right hip at 4 o'clock, I'll keep my hands up here on the wheel. That was it. I understand it is a law to inform in some states, but wtf, that could really come across wrong depending on how you say it. Also, why hand your permit over when I would hope that by virtue of your state issued DL they will know that immediately. What does handing the permit over actually accomplish?

Posts: 333 | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post