SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Holster question based on waist size
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster question based on waist size Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I've only ever owned VMII holsters. I've owned several and they've always worked but I am wondering if I may be better suited for a different style.

Would you say that a more compact design like the Summer Special would be better suited for a smaller waist? Let's say 32" pants?

It was always my assumption that a wider holster design would distribute the weight better and perhaps that is true, but also the holster has to counter to a tighter radius so to speak.

Before I place my next order with Milt Sparks, does anyone who has experience with both have an opinion?

I can always order both and sell one later so it's no worry either way.

Appreciate the input.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used both. IMHO, the Summer Special works best with a 1911. My Summer Special was set up for a full size 5 inch gun. Shorter barrels and different guns may be a factor in which holster works best. And In the distant past I wore a 32 waist and 36 inseam.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You said a 32" waist - compared to most people, something like the VM II would take up a larger portion of the radius of your waist. As an example, someone with a 36" waist has 4" more area for the holster that you would.

Find the holster that works for you - keep in mind that different activities might change your decision about a wide vs. narrow holster mount. I've had to use both methods along the way.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually buy one size up which is two inches since they rarely make odd numbered sizes.

With mini edc guns, same size pants. with bigger/thicker guns, one size up

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post