SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Cyclists, runners and CC
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyclists, runners and CC Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've used a Smart Carry with decent results. Excellent for running and still comfortable enough riding. Might not be good for a race type road bike where you're pitched way forward, but for mountain and "touring" type road bikes, no problems here.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm now thinking about something like the Smart Carry for those times I'm in tennis clothes and need to run into the store.

Is it hard to put on and take off (like I'd be doing if I stopped in somewhere?)

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 383 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
SmartCarry has its place in my inventory - I typically use a stall if I have to use the bathroom, it flips out of the way pretty easy. You will likely have to remove it to sit down - which is fine, but the acoustic S in a public restroom really make the Velcro sound loud when removing it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:

...Is it hard to put on and take off (like I'd be doing if I stopped in somewhere?)

It's real easy, though you need to be standing up (not sure if you want to do this in a car).

1. Slide down your tennis shorts.
2. Strap on the holster.
3. Insert gun and spare mag.
4. Slide up the shorts.
5. DONE!

There are a couple more steps if you're wearing business clothes with a tuck in shirt, but it's still easy.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um, that won't work.

I guess I didn't look it up -- I thought SmartCarry was one of those bag like things I always see advertised in the gun mags (kind of like an old belly-bag carry except it looks more professional, like someone would strap their iPad to their waist).

I guess I have to look up what the heck that is, because in a car I just want to put something around my waist in a few seconds while I am sitting down.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 383 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use this

http://t.dickssportinggoods.co...&categoryId=13061631

I bike alot, paved bike paths, some streets. On the ocassions I do carry, I find the above bag
to be all I need. Expandable, and holds my P238, wallet, phone etc.
Don't have any concerns about getting access quickly if needed as I believe that situational awareness would probably give me the heads up.

A holster, chest rig while biking? Nah, not for me.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
A holster, chest rig while biking? Nah, not for me.

Just something to consider. What if you are knocked off of your bike or separated from it for whatever reason?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smart Carry is kind of an IWB fanny pack, but only in the positive ways. It doesn't move and is slim enough that it should fit in most pants without a problem.

I actually own two: a security model for a medium frame auto like a glock 23 and a standard model for a pocket pistol like my glock 42 or shield. Overall I prefer the standard model because it has a narrower footprint to fit between the balls of the hips. It keeps the gun closer to center.

The company is stand-up, too. I ordered the wrong size for me and they fronted me the replacement instead of waiting for my return.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
http://www.pistolwear.com/

I don't cycle, but my wife and I have been using PistolWear for years while running. I got to know the folks there a little while I was doing a review and I feel good about my $$ going there.

What gun do you run with? I bought the PT2 about a year ago and ran once with it with my G26. It was flopping all over the place.

Posts: 130 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I have several sizes of the Smart Carry that I use all the time. I carry an LCP or G42 while running and gym work. What I do is rotate the SC over my right hip at about the 3:30 position. Draw involves simply pushing hand inside waistband. No move, no bounce and gun is protected from sweat. Works really well and there is no weight on my gym shorts. For business wear, I rotate the SC into its front position and carry either the above or an LC9 or 938. I have carried for years that way in highly NPE corporate settings.

Honestly, the SC is by far my preferred holster system when belt carry is not practical.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shrugged:
quote:
http://www.pistolwear.com/

I don't cycle, but my wife and I have been using PistolWear for years while running. I got to know the folks there a little while I was doing a review and I feel good about my $$ going there.

What gun do you run with? I bought the PT2 about a year ago and ran once with it with my G26. It was flopping all over the place.

Sorry for missing your post. I now use a P290 or Shield. I used to carry a M&P compact. It's a little more difficult but not undo-able. PTOne is a better choice for double stacks. Adjustment is also critical. It usually takes me a while to get it adjusted just right.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry for missing your post. I now use a P290 or Shield. I used to carry a M&P compact. It's a little more difficult but not undo-able. PTOne is a better choice for double stacks. Adjustment is also critical. It usually takes me a while to get it adjusted just right.
Thanks for the info! I might have to pick up a P290 and try it with that.

Posts: 130 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what type of cycling you are speaking of?

I ride a road bike and will ride 60 miles or so. I'm usually bend over the handle bars for long periods of time. Fanny pack types would be a no go as they would be unconfortable while bending.. Something like this wouldn't work for me..

I can't imagine the people I ride with, at times, are super gun frendly, so I can't ask them for advice. Roll Eyes

I would recommend a seat bag large enough to carry your weapon. One thing about that it's not in super close proximity for a super quick presentation.

Yes, I ride with those tight and riding kits. My jersey has 3 pockets in the rear. You can purchase 1 of those neoprene holster and place it in one of those pockets. I would think you would go with something small like a .380 dedicated to bike riding as weight is the enemy.The lighter the better.

****Note: Those cycling jerseys are made to wick sweat away, so moisture may be a little challenge but I don't find it unbearable.***

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have tried the pocket holster in the back jersey pocket. I carry an HK P30sk. If they were an inch deeper it would work. You might get away with a smaller gun in the jersey pockets. I am considering a camelbak for this purpose.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I have tried the pocket holster in the back jersey pocket. I carry an HK P30sk. If they were an inch deeper it would work. You might get away with a smaller gun in the jersey pockets. I am considering a camelbak for this purpose.

I have a camelbak mule, I would think accessing your gun quickly if needed would be difficult. It would be on your body however if you were knocked off your bike. I do have a smart carry and will have to try it out on the bike.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
Here in the city we just had a group knuckle heads knock an older gentleman off of his bike to steal it.

Having your carry on the bike means that you won't be able to protect yourself and/or the scum will have your bike and weapon. With that said, it's best to have the weapon on your body somehow.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I've run quite a bit with a belly band and a ruger lcr. Worked well and stayed concealed.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I've seen runners use a bag that carries water bottles, behind their back. I'm sure you could convert something like that to carry a decent size firearm.

For reference only: https://www.amazon.com/Hydrati...rs+water+bottle+belt

I haven't tried. Usually when I run, I feel pretty safe carrying just a knife.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichS
posted Hide Post
I use a smart carry holster when running. Check out activeprogear.com. They have what they call a jogger holster. It is listed as alternative carry on their website.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I recently added a Comfort Tac belly band to the lineup, and have ran with it 3x so far.
https://www.comforttac.com/
I really like that it has an elastic piece that comes over top of my Shield 9's grip, and keeps it from bouncing around.
This thing is comfortable, too.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post