SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Cyclists, runners and CC
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyclists, runners and CC Login/Join 
Picture of Glenn
posted
What holster are y'all using for cycling/running? Getting back on a bike and need a solution for carry. My smallest handgun options are a 360PD and Kimber Ultra RCP.

Posts: 614 | Registered: January 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't carry in a holster due to the fact that i'm usually soaked in sweat when riding. I use a handle bar bag on the bike so its up front for easy access.

Posts: 560 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: February 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a cyclist, but when I go running I use a small Uncle Mike's fanny pack/holster to hold my 642.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run every other day and rarely carry, but the few times I have it was an LCP in www.smartcarry.com

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would a belly band not work for you?

I've thought about this myself for after tennis, when I'm wearing clothes that wouldn't support much else.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 383 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Glenn
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Bag and fanny pack aren't an option. Going to see how a 5.11 undershirt will work. We'll see.

Posts: 614 | Registered: January 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't expect a 5/11 shirt to work. The pistol is loose in the under-arm compartment and will be bouncing around when you run. Maybe it will work for cycling - but I can't imagine it being anything close to workable for running.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these a year or so back but have yet to wear it:

http://www.pistolwear.com/pt-2-concealment-holster/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cycling: I wear cycling shirts with belt loops. On the belt, a Safepacker, from The Wilderness, carries a full-sized pistol. Yes, of course I wear padded Lycra shorts, under the outer shorts.

Running: My knees and feet cannot tolerate running thse days, but back in the day, I hand-carried an Airweight J-Snub in a pouch made by Michaels of Oregon. Each lap around the park, I switched hands, to balance the load.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Boy I wish we could make this topic a "stickie".

Hands down the greatest thing I ever purchased for cycling was my Hill People chest rig. Carry's my .40 Shield, extra mag, flashlight, wallet, and small knife. I cannot recommend this enough!

Pricy, but well made -

Hill People Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
Thanks. Bag and fanny pack aren't an option. Going to see how a 5.11 undershirt will work. We'll see.

I've used this, and it works well. Kinda of. A few times I've found myself having to reach up and secure my pistol for fear it would break thru the velcro when I had to bend over and reach for something. It is one of the primary reasons I switched to the chest rig referenced above.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I use a 5.11 select carry fanny pack and I carry my Glock 43 when I ride my mountain bike. I just used it today. I also carry a Benchmade Mini Griptilian in one of the small zippered parts of it. My license and permit go in there as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: birddog1,

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I carry a Shield in a Galco waist pack.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Hands down the greatest thing I ever purchased for cycling was my Hill People chest rig. Carry's my .40 Shield, extra mag, flashlight, wallet, and small knife. I cannot recommend this enough!

Pricy, but well made -

Hill People Gear

I looked into that. Hard for me to justify $100 for that. I just don't see it being worth $100.

It seems like a good concept, though.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I biked, I kept a mouse gun in the tool bag under my seat. A buddy rigged a holster to his handlebar, but he wasn't concerned about concealment.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Pricy, but well made -

Hill People Gear

I looked into that. Hard for me to justify $100 for that. I just don't see it being worth $100.

It seems like a good concept, though.

Worth every penny. I will not ride/walk without it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Can you (who like this sort of kit bag) tell me why wearing such a chest bag is preferable to something lower down (I was thinking belly or hip).

I used to use a belly bag for my CC and it was easy to draw from and wear, and I would suspect would have worked fine even riding a bike. I'm not crazy about having to reach way up to my chest to get at my weapon so I'm trying to understand the advantage.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 383 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
For me personally it is because whether I am biking or hiking, I do not want anything flopping around my waist, especially if I am on my bike.

Also, if I get knocked off my bike, I KNOW exactly where my pistol is, and don't have to deal with a fanny pack that may have shifted positions towards my back.

Everyone has their preferences, but as I said above, I won't even consider any other options anymore.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
I will confirm Ronin's recommendation of the Hill People Gear Kit Bags. I have not used mine while cycling, but when out and about on foot, it fits-in well, in quite a few environments.

When I was walking with my nephew on the National Mall a couple of summers ago, toting two serious cameras, I had a G19 in an HPG Kit Bag. Yes, the National Mall, in D.C. (Legal, due to the LEOSA.) With all of the tourists' backpacks and sling bags, the Kit Bag was just another way to carry stuff on a hot summer evening, turning no heads; the photography gear may have helped me blend in. (I had another G19 on my belt, though I cannot remember if I used a Safepacker, or a conventional holster.)

Yes, a Kit Bag is well worth $100+.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
http://www.pistolwear.com/

I don't cycle, but my wife and I have been using PistolWear for years while running. I got to know the folks there a little while I was doing a review and I feel good about my $$ going there.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post