SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Cyclists, runners and CC
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyclists, runners and CC Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My brother's girlfriend always runs in undertech yoga pants. She's always flashing me her gun when I run into them(only because she knows I wanted that P225 but my brother gave it to her instead of selling it to me). Maybe they make something for men.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Knezz:
Yes, I ride with those tight and riding kits. My jersey has 3 pockets in the rear. You can purchase 1 of those neoprene holster and place it in one of those pockets. I would think you would go with something small like a .380 dedicated to bike riding as weight is the enemy.The lighter the better.

****Note: Those cycling jerseys are made to wick sweat away, so moisture may be a little challenge but I don't find it unbearable.***

S&W Bodyguard in a Sticky holster rides perfectly in the center pocket of all my cycling jerseys and is what I've been using for the last few years.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question for ones using these products how well do they deal with sweat? Thanks

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Boy I wish we could make this topic a "stickie".

Hands down the greatest thing I ever purchased for cycling was my Hill People chest rig. Carry's my .40 Shield, extra mag, flashlight, wallet, and small knife. I cannot recommend this enough!

Pricy, but well made -

Hill People Gear

I've had this site bookmarked for quite a while as well. What size rig did you buy? How does it do with keeping sweat out of the compartment?

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:

When I teach CC, I pass holsters around the room including one of my well-used Pistol Wear models. I wait until it's been circulated before I tell them it's been heavily sweatified. I can't remember what they do to keep the odor down and sweat from absorbing into the compartment, but it works. On really long runs, some sweat does run down onto the gun sometimes. I wrote a review a while back. I'll try to find it.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
quote:

Hands down the greatest thing I ever purchased for cycling was my Hill People chest rig. Carry's my .40 Shield, extra mag, flashlight, wallet, and small knife. I cannot recommend this enough!

Pricy, but well made -

Hill People Gear

I've had this site bookmarked for quite a while as well. What size rig did you buy? How does it do with keeping sweat out of the compartment?

RobLew:

I went with the Recon size. It holds my .40 Shield, extra mag, Esse, and wallet.

Pistol and Mag stored in forward compartment - never had any sweat issues. None at all in fact...a few weeks ago I was riding and got caught in the rain. Everything was dry when I got home.

To add - if I were to do it again, I would get the Runner's version. It is the same size, but does not have the PALS (which I do not need, or want for that matter).

I have searched all over the internet for something similar that does not scream "gun". Either the quality is not up to par, or it is not the same setup as what Hillpeople have designed.

Also wish at least for the runner's version they would offer a color like blue or red. Something not so tactical.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After trying to figure this out for the last few years, I think I've finally found a way to carry while I run.

I'll preface this by saying that the solution works for me but might not work for others. I'm a firm believer that situations that vary even slightly can require drastically different solutions.

I run in a t-shirt and shorts, through neighborhoods and on city sidewalks. My goal was to try to stay as "normal looking" as possible.

Last week I ordered the 5.11 Select Carry Pistol Pouch from Amazon for $35 shipped. Yesterday I did 4 miles on the treadmill with my G26, and it seems like it's a workable solution (I mostly run outside but wanted to do a trial-run).

Here is a little more detail on the setup:
  • I ran with the pouch oriented in the small of my back and under my t-shirt.
  • I used the 12 round magazine with the G26 and it fit nicely (not to tight and not too much room to move).
  • Because there isn't anything covering the trigger inside the pouch, I also used the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 , and clipped the lanyard to a zipper so that it will come off of the gun if I draw.
  • I'm 6' and 175lbs with just a slight gut (hence all the running ...)
The pros for me are:
  • It was very comfortable. I was distracted by a bit of bouncing for the first mile or so, but then I got used to it.
  • The pouch is well padded so there wasn't any discomfort on my back.
  • The strap and clip that go across your stomach aren't padded, but the strap is wide enough at 2" to make it comfortable.
  • It's not invisible, but my belief is that most people will think I'm carrying some kind of hydration or cell phone case under my shirt
The cons:
  • The pistol is oriented so that the barrel is horizontal to the ground which means it sweeps everyone that you run past.
  • The pouch zips closed, so drawing is not fast/easy. The pouch also comes with quick-release velcro straps, but I'm not sure they would keep the G26 in place during a run. I also haven't figured out a way to practice the draw safely at a range. Need to think more about that.
I'm sure you can see from the pros/cons that the solution isn't perfect. For me, everything is about trade-offs. I've run for years without carrying, so even though I have a less-than-perfect solution, it's better than nothing.

Before the 5.11 pouch I tried the Pistol Wear PT-2 with the G26. I found that it bounced so much that it would end up hanging down and flapping around making it impossible to run. I bought the PT-2 after reading a lot of success stories from others so don't completely discount it because of me.

I'm planning on running outside tomorrow if possible. If I learn anything else I'll report back.

Hope this write-up helps someone!

Posts: 130 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pricy, but well made -

Hill People Gear

RobLew:

I went with the Recon size. It holds my .40 Shield, extra mag, Esse, and wallet.

Pistol and Mag stored in forward compartment - never had any sweat issues. None at all in fact...a few weeks ago I was riding and got caught in the rain. Everything was dry when I got home.

To add - if I were to do it again, I would get the Runner's version. It is the same size, but does not have the PALS (which I do not need, or want for that matter).

I have searched all over the internet for something similar that does not scream "gun". Either the quality is not up to par, or it is not the same setup as what Hillpeople have designed.

Also wish at least for the runner's version they would offer a color like blue or red. Something not so tactical.

Thanks for the info - based on the "will my gun fit" thread, I think I can fit a P226 in the runners/recon size. I'll probably pull the trigger this riding season.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jamaicanj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Knezz:
It all depends on what type of cycling you are speaking of?

I ride a road bike and will ride 60 miles or so. I'm usually bend over the handle bars for long periods of time. Fanny pack types would be a no go as they would be unconfortable while bending.. Something like this wouldn't work for me..

I can't imagine the people I ride with, at times, are super gun frendly, so I can't ask them for advice. Roll Eyes

I would recommend a seat bag large enough to carry your weapon. One thing about that it's not in super close proximity for a super quick presentation.

Yes, I ride with those tight and riding kits. My jersey has 3 pockets in the rear. You can purchase 1 of those neoprene holster and place it in one of those pockets. I would think you would go with something small like a .380 dedicated to bike riding as weight is the enemy.The lighter the better.

****Note: Those cycling jerseys are made to wick sweat away, so moisture may be a little challenge but I don't find it unbearable.***

I agree...riding on a road bike with a fanny pack is very uncomfortable.

The camelbak rogue can hold a G26 in the outside pocket and does not look tactical. With the included hydration tube sticking out...it is very discrete in appearance. Here it is on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Camelba...words=camelbak+rogue

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member

Posts: 707 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sixgunner455
posted Hide Post
I used to run, a lot. Now, I can only do a little. I ran with fanny packs. Sucked, especially if the gun loaded weighed much more than a pound, because of bouncing and shifting. Access to wasn't awesome. Used a camelback. I could carry anything in it, but access was less than ideal. Carried something in my hand. That got old.

SmartCarry with a light and small gun works very well. KelTec P11 was too rust prone. S&W 642 is awesome there, except for the shootability and slow reloads aspect. But for actually carrying while seriously exercising, it does the job. Just got a G42, haven't tried it out in the SmartCarry yet, but it should do well. P290RS I had worked well here. The G26 is a bit heavy and bulky for Smartcarry and some kinds of exercising, but works well for walking, some hiking, and casual jogging. I can't run seriously now, but I imagine it could work for some. Riding a rough gaited 17h quarterhorse - not a good idea with a gun that size in a SmartCarry unless you only intend to let him walk. Trotting and cantering = no go.

I imagine the Hill People Gear would be optimal for hiking, hunting, and biking. Hiking, would get the gun off my belt where it can interfere with a backpack, or when hunting, can get tangled up with my rifle or shotgun. Biking, as with horse riding, would keep it from pinching or bouncing or shifting or getting landed on if you fall or get thrown. I would not carry it SOB on a bike, but I remember falling a lot when I rode bikes.

Just my thoughts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sixgunner455,

Posts: 1685 | Location: Here be Dragons! | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pricy, but well made -

Hill People Gear

This is what I use whenever I'm on my mountain bike.

I don't carry when I'm road cycling.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don't road bike per se. I have a mtn bike that I use on paths and trails and occasionally bike lanes on roads.

I wear padded shorts under thin material shorts that have pockets and a belt. I use my regular carry rig of g26 in comptac ultra holster. I can wear form fitting jerseys and not print much.

I'm not a serious extreme biker; just do it for exercise and relaxation. So it's more than sufficiently comfortable. And under duress, it's where it always is. I don't need to remember that it's in a bag somewhere else on my body. And draw time is similar to usual.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:

When I teach CC, I pass holsters around the room including one of my well-used Pistol Wear models. I wait until it's been circulated before I tell them it's been heavily sweatified. I can't remember what they do to keep the odor down and sweat from absorbing into the compartment, but it works. On really long runs, some sweat does run down onto the gun sometimes. I wrote a review a while back. I'll try to find it.

I carry an Old model LC9, or an xds in my pistol wear while cycling. Those 2 pistols are kinda known for corroding. The LC9 slide serrations, and the xds roll pins.

I'm about 2 years in riding 50-80 miles a week and they show no signs of corrosion.

On a 90 degree day after a ride, there is no dampness on the pistol. I wear it at 8:00 outside my shirt. (Lefty)

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I got recommendations years ago from his forum for a rig for running. Here's the suggestion then: https://www.amazon.com/ActiveP...ywords=chest+holster
Still use it today and it carries whatever I choose very comfortably. The price is very good also!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pricy, but well made -

Hill People Gear

RobLew:

I just got one of the HPG runners packs for my cycling and tried it today. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I thought it was very cumbersome. I usually use a 5.11 select carry pouch and have no problem. I thought the HPG would be better situated but it just seems like a lot of bulk on my chest. I think I'm going to return it.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're ok with a sling pack check out Kelty.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got my HPG kit bag v2. I went bigger than runners/recon because I wanted the extra space for some stuff. I played around with it using multiple firearms, fire kit, survival gear, phone, keys, wallet, etc. I really like it. I got it primarily for mountain biking but I think loaded less it would be fine for running as well. I wanted the recon originally but am quite pleased with the kit bag v2.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I just got my HPG kit bag v2. I went bigger than runners/recon because I wanted the extra space for some stuff. I played around with it using multiple firearms, fire kit, survival gear, phone, keys, wallet, etc. I really like it. I got it primarily for mountain biking but I think loaded less it would be fine for running as well. I wanted the recon originally but am quite pleased with the kit bag v2.

Great choice! I've been an advocate of that company for years. If only....if only they would sell a version of the chest pack that did not look so tactical. A bright red or blue, something that looks more "soccer dad" than 5.11.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True. I don't care while on the trails but anywhere else it isn't discreet. That being said if I wore it out in public I don't think my wife would get in the car with me.

I tried multiple guns. I bought two of the Fricke trigger guard holsters (19 and 43) because regardless of their research I'm not putting a striker fired gun into a bag without the trigger covered unless I'm willing to go chamber empty which I'm not. It works but I think I prefer da/sa guns that I don't fell the need to holster per se. It's big enough to put a lot of gun in there.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
bump to keep this alive. Just a few months from cycling season!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ