SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CC undershirts? Any good suggestions or thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CC undershirts? Any good suggestions or thoughts? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
So I'll be coaching soccer (3-4 y/o, but still) this spring and as such will be wearing athletic shorts/pants and t-shirts. I'd like a way to carry at least a small BUG (thinking LCP, 290, or G43 size). Trying to do it as discretely as possible given the family atmosphere.

Anybody used any of the CC undershirts to good effect?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple. They are hotter than heck and slow to access the pistol.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 5.11 T-shirt. It is itchy and at least for me it is too tight. Not comfortable at all. I carried an S&W 642 in it. I went with the Kangaroo Carry rig eventually and I recommend it. It is easily concealable and comfortable under a polo shirt. My KC rig mostly has a Sig P250SC 9mm in it.
And all "deep concealment" rigs reduce access to your gun. Its the nature of the beast.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

...(thinking LCP...

My LCP disappears in www.smartcarry.com with a spare mag. The G-43 works too, but for your situation I'd recommend the LCP.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a CC t-shirt, its great when Im wearing the right type of shirt, but i have to say the most comfortable holster I have found overall, is the smartcarry, the only problem is the material wears out after about 2 years, but they are inexpensive and work great

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
With a "SMART CARRY" in shorts, you could become very popular with the soccer moms...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
With a "SMART CARRY" in shorts, you could become very popular with the soccer moms...

Haha, may have to up my carry choices from the LCP.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone, was really hoping to find a good shirt. I typically wear Under Armor type shirts as undershirts and didn't think that these would be any hotter, that's unfortunate. While I'm sure the Smart Carry has its fans, it's not for me. Guess I'll keep looking

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a belly band? I do not have one, here's one example:

http://www.desantisholster.com/BELLY-BAND

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Try a small subcompact in a sticky IWB holster like a Remora. https://www.remoraholsterstore...e-waistband-holster/ That's what I use when I'm wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt.

Doesn't work with a large gun or heavy activity, but with light activity and something thin and lightweight like a PM9/G43/LCP/Shield, it works fairly well.

Another alternative is to invest in some shorts with belt loops. There are a number of different hiking/biking/etc. shorts that are light enough for athletic use but also accommodate a belt. Heck, they even have board shorts with belt loops now.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have used the 5.11 shirt and desantis belly band posted above with a PPS and they both do the job.

Posts: 9943 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

Perhaps a Desert Eagle?

Like RogueJSK's suggestion I carry an LC9 in a Remora from time to time. Never had a problem with it moving, just make sure it's contacting skin. Underwear can be lower than top shorts and pistol essentially disappears.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry all the time and I didn't carry when I coached little League baseball. There's not one parent there who will lend support if for any reason they find out the coach is carrying around they're 3 year olds. Plus my attention is focused on the kids and the game so I probably wouldn't be aware of a threat until it was too late. Plus I would check to find out what state law was regarding sporting events and whether the soccer field is on school grounds. That being said I tried a 5.11 tactical t shirt. It had to fit tight I order to prevent gun from moving or flopping. I found it extremely uncomfortable. You'll be running around sweating. Plus it's worn as an undergarments, so what are you going g to wear over it. I didn't like it even though I wore it in the winter. It never got comfortable although it concealed well.. In the winter

Posts: 1241 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a fanny pack. Seems like lots of my coaches did.

Its also a great way to hold keys/wallet/cell phone, etc while running around, and not lose them.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Big Smartcarry fan here, i have three and use one almost daily. For running, I actually wear it right over my strongside hip and carry an LCP, G42 or LC9. The sweatproof nature is a key feature.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I've used both 5.11 and Tru-Spec t-shrt holsters with my 239. Both work well for me. One has to get used to the tight fit, but that's price for holding it up where it belongs.And, true, it's not the fastest draw, but then, I'm not in competition. Tends to help keep you awake and scanning.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I have the 5.11 shirt, and I tossed it in the back of the closet. I just didn't find it comfortable at all. The gun tends to bounce around as you move, and if it has any weight to it, the gun sinks down close to your waist.

I switched over to a smartcarry, which is much more comfortable for a smaller gun. It is not a perfect solution as far as comfort goes, but it works. I can carry a Glock 19 with the right outfit. I wouldn't want to haul around a P220 in my crotch all day.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's something about SmartCarry I post every few years:

It works for me. CCW holsters are a balance between concealment, comfort, and accessibility, and my first priority is concealment. Sometimes I carry my LCP or PM9 in a pocket, but most of the time it’s in Smart Carry. I also have a super-size model and on rare occasions carry my G-19 and two spare mags.

I no longer carry my 642 or PPS, but like the LCP, PM9, and now G-43 they fit fine in my medium (holster, not hip size) Smart Carry. You buy the size holster for the largest gun you plan to carry.

Comfort is not an issue on long trips; Last fall I drove east (2500 miles r/t) with my LCP and almost forgot it was there.

Pros:

No cover garment, shirt can be tucked in or out

Wear under shorts, long pants, or sweats. Even business casual.

One size holster fits almost all

No one looks there

Superior concealment

Slot for spare mag/speed strip

Can draw with support hand

Cons:

May not support a heavy gun

Potentially slower draw

Reluctance to keep a gun there

Need to buy pants one size larger

Other members may have additional pros and cons. It's not the perfect holster, it’s not for everyone, but Smart Carry works for me.