SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Pocket Carry Walther PPS Less Enjoyable Than I Hoped
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Carry Walther PPS Less Enjoyable Than I Hoped Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
In 5.11 pants, the size 13 DeSantis Superfly pocket holster and the Walther PPS seemed to be a perfect combination. However, a weekend trip which included driving eight hours, walking, sitting in a horse carriage, and sitting other places found this practitioner less than pleased. The weight of the PPS swung the pants leg, and the bulge in the cargo pocket was noticeable if only rectangular. The swinging pistol required cinching up the 5.11 belt frequently, to keep the pants from becoming a prisoner fashion statement. Reaching into the pocket, with its flap, required more coordination than I would have in a stressful event. All in all, I would have to reject this particular expression of pocket carry.

However, I would consider a very lightweight weapon in this form of holster. The PPS is just too heavy.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Kangaroo Carry holster for my P250SC 9mm. It is deep concealment but carries very well.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, seems a little big for pants/shorts pocket carry. Now in a jacket of sorts, more workable.

I do have the 'Kangaroo' type harness for under the arm type carry. That's my preferred carry for a medium/smallish size gun. Yes it takes more planning to get to it.

The LCP has serious limitations but really shines for pocket carry.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
PPS is a heavy little gem due to it's internal steel frame that also account for it's accuracy, soft shooting, and durability.

I don't do pocket carry but if I did I would probably look at something like the Glock 42.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Carry my classic PPS in a Galco iwb and it's perfect.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That's too big a gun to pocket carry.

I tried the same with a KT PF9 and it lasted about half a day.

Pocket guns need to be small, light and FLAT.

The PPS is only one of those attributes; flat

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I tried again, but this time removed the panel that folds over the front of the holster. I carried in a front pocket of 5.11 shorts. I used the 7-round magazine also. Much better experience. I can see carrying this way again.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
The swinging pistol required cinching up the 5.11 belt frequently

Well, that's your problem too.

You need a stiff, sturdy thick gun belt even with shorts, like a Beltman belt:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This gun strikes me as being much too big for a pocket. It isn't enough that it goes in, you need room to grasp it, too. But I really want to talk about carrying in a thigh cargo pocket. (I assume this is what you meant.) To me, this negates a big plus for pocket carry. In your front pocket, you can already have your hand on the gun without appearing threatening or telegraphing your intentions. Most people watch faces, not hands; watching hands is something that has to be drummed into new police recruits. You can't do this with a cargo pocket. It would also be dreadfully slow to draw.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I tried again, but this time removed the panel that folds over the front of the holster. I carried in a front pocket of 5.11 shorts. I used the 7-round magazine also. Much better experience. I can see carrying this way again.

I wound up doing the same thing and found pocket carry to be much more comfortable.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
For a single stack subcompact, the PPS struck me as one of the larger models of that class. Even the G43 doesn't strike me as particularly small.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
For a single stack subcompact, the PPS struck me as one of the larger models of that class. Even the G43 doesn't strike me as particularly small.

G43 and P938 are tiny.

Ruger LCP, et cetera are too small to be considered guns in my book. Gun implies some shootability. The LCP and its peers are what you carry when carrying a gun is not possible.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I bought a pocket holster for the PPS thinking that it might fit in a cargo pocket role, however the weight had it banging around into my leg, so I never did much more than try it around the house.

It's too large for normal sized people to pull off in a front pocket IMO.

LCP is easy, you can forget it's there in either front or back pocket.

J-frames aren't hard in slacks or shorts, but in most jeans they don't work.

I'm trying the G42 since I happened into one. It seems to work ok thus far.

For me the 9MM are easy to IWB at 3 with no effort, so I don't see the need to pocket them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying a 9mm PPS for going on 7 years. It carries IWB beautifully but the one time I tried it in various pockets (just for a second or two) it became obvious that would never work.

The 5.11 shorts I own were from a weird lot. They have an extra piece of fabric sewn inside the thigh pockets, with an additional vertical seam up the middle. This creates a perfect place for a single stack mag or two. They will stay vertical and not clang together at all. That is almost too much weight, but it still works OK. A single double stack mag works weight wise, but is bulky enough to make it fairly obvious to anyone paying attention that you're carrying something with a little weight there. Two double stacks is ridiculously weighty, swaying back and forth, banging into your leg with each and every step. Those pockets are OK up to a point, but just not a great place for much non-flexible metal object weight to be carried IMO. I can imagine how badly a PPS would carry in that pocket since I tried it for about three steps. I won't even carry a Leatherman Wave in there.

I have found the P239 mags, regular or +1 extended, can be carried pretty well there. None of my PPS mags did well in these pockets. Especially the chunky ended larger size (8 round in 9mm) mags. They also stuck out almost as bad as the double stack 15-rd PPQ mags I tried.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my PPS for years. Even with the 6 round magazine, it's just a little too big for pocket carry.

For me, the best solution was a thin all kydex IWB holster. Got one from PJ and another one from Dara. The holsters are so thin and light, I don't have that constant reminder of "hey, there is a gun on your hip" like I do when I carry a larger gun in crossbreed, etc.

Posts: 5 | Registered: November 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd try to pocket carry anything larger than a P3AT or LCP.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
LC9s will work better. It's lighter, an the slide is sloped at the rear instead of being a Glock Block.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I usually carry in my cargo shorts front pocket as my primary mode. I've been doing it with a Glock 26 for about three years straight now.

IMHO it isn't the "which gun" question that makes it work - it's the "which shorts and which holster" combo. What I mean is that often, I have to swap pocket holsters to best fit the cargo shorts that I'm wearing. I've found that the holster has to be big enough to occupy most of the volume of the pocket. If it's too small and there's too much room in the pocket, it won't work. The holster also can't be too sung on the pistol or it'll come out in the draw.

For me, most of my Glock 26 carry works best with a Galco Pocket Horsehide. My S&W 642 works best with an Alessi One Piece.

YMMV, but try several different holster / cargo short combos before you give up.

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I carry my S&W 638, or LCP in my right front pocket of shorts quite often during the summer months.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PPS carries just fine in the front pocket of my jeans or cargo shorts in a DeSantis pocket holster. A lot of people make the mistake of carrying it in the cargo pocket and it will flop around if you do that. The front interior pocket is where the gun should go - closest to your body. Put the phone or wallet in the cargo pocket.

With jeans I put my phone in the same pocket as the gun but in front with the glass facing outward. The phone breaks up the print of the gun and it doesn't interfere with the draw. I recommend those Lee jeans from Kohl's because they have nice big pockets.

The PPS is totally doable as a pocket carry gun if you're willing to wear a gun belt nice and tight and choose the right clothing. Then again, my last pocket piece was a Glock 26.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post