SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Utah Agency Proposes Substantial Increase in Concealed Firearm Permit Fees
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Utah Agency Proposes Substantial Increase in Concealed Firearm Permit Fees Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Utah Agency Proposes Substantial Increase in Concealed Firearm Permit Fees

WEDNESDAY, MAY 31, 2017 Utah Agency Proposes Substantial Increase in Concealed Firearm Permit Fees

The NRA-ILA has learned that the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) is planning to increase the cost of a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) by more than 50%. BCI has confirmed to NRA that it is their intention to raise the fee by $20, effective July 1. Currently, first time resident CFP applicants pay a $37 fee to BCI. That $37 consists of a state fee of $24.75 plus a $12 fee charged by the FBI to process fingerprint cards. These fees are authorized under the Utah State Code. If the fee increase is implemented, the state portion of the fee would increase over 80%, and the overall cost of applying for an initial CFP will increase from $37 to $57.

Separate from the statutes dealing with Concealed Firearm Permits, there is another section of Utah Code that authorizes BCI to charge a $20 fee to process fingerprint cards for a variety of external agencies, individuals and entities (criminal justice agencies as well as background checks for teachers, doctors, etc.) BCI now wants to apply this section of code to CFP applicants, thereby raising the overall cost by 54%. NRA has reached out to BCI, key legislators who are in a position to oversee BCI activities, as well as the Governor’s office to identify for what purposes the revenue generated by the proposed increase would be used.

NRA opposes raising permit fees because it will adversely impact the ability of law-abiding gun owners to carry a firearm for self-defense. We have worked tirelessly over the years in Utah and other states to reign in excessive fees charged for concealed firearm permits. There have been times in the past when CFP fees were being used to fund government programs unrelated to the issuance of these permits. We will continue to work hard to make certain that won’t happen again.

NRA-ILA will provide an update when additional information is obtained and furnish direction for concerned NRA members to take action if and when such is deemed appropriate.

https://www.nraila.org/article...-firearm-permit-fees

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
You think $37 is excessive? Texas just recently passed a proposal to lower ours from $140 to $40!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
When I first got my Utah permit back in 2007, I believe the cost was around $60. When I renewed it, the price had dropped quite a bit. It looks like it has even dropped some more since then.

In any case, the cost of a CCW permit should only be as high as needed to cover the cost of administering it. Under no circumstances should the government be making money of off what is a Constitutional right. If the reason for BCI raising the permit cost is because it is losing money, then that is understandable and acceptable to me. Though I also want to be assured that things are being handled as efficiently as can be expected by government.

For the record, I've always been very impressed with how Utah BCI has operated in the past. I'll be very interested to hear what their reasoning is for raising the cost of the permit.

And $140 is absolutely disgraceful. Shame on them. I hope you in Texas can get that changed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
By the time you pay for your joke of a "safety class" which is required, and visit the sheriff you are out between 2-300$ here.

People here are still getting their CHP in droves.

My state is schitzo...

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hell, Arkansas charges $142.11. Plus the cost of the training class itself (typically another ~$100).

Even a renewal costs $62.80. Again, plus the cost of the renewal class (typically another ~$50).

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Was there any change in renewal fees? I hold a Utah permit as Oregon is such a peach with reciprocity. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I first got my Utah permit back in 2007, I believe the cost was around $60.

Thats what i remember paying in 2011ish when i got mine. The renewal last year was $10.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I get charging non-residents fees, but residents should not see any government fee, aside from taxes. Anything else is just skeptics discrinatory taxation

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
Was there any change in renewal fees? I hold a Utah permit as Oregon is such a peach with reciprocity. Roll Eyes

Good question. It doesn't mention anything about a raise in renewal fees. Currently the renewal cost is $15.

quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
The renewal last year was $10.

It was $10 you say? I honestly can't remember what I paid for my last renewal which was about four years ago now. I'm coming up for my next renewal soon, and according to the BCI website, it's now $15. Guess it went up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How long is the permit good for?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
$115 for 5 years here in Michigan.

How about they propose permitless carry and continue to offer permits for reciprocity purposes?

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
How long is the permit good for?

In Utah, five years.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
N.C. is $80.00 for original plus the cost of the class which is around $100.00 and then the renewal is $70.00 if you don't let it expire. If you let it expire it is the original cost including taking the class over. They are good for 5 years.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
So if requiring people to have a FREE voter ID card somehow disenfranchises people and suppresses their voting rights, tell me again why concealed carry costs, requirements, and restrictions seem to always be on the rise isn't equally suppressive?

I know, preaching to the choir. Would really love to see a nationwide honoring of 2A rights with the same willingness and acceptance that 1A rights get...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I wish ours(Mn) were that reasonably priced. A required class is $50-100+ and then the local sheriff is looking for $100 1st permit and $75 renewal.
Consider an elderly gentleman whom draws social security, he is likely to choose what to do without, permit or pills.

-2SiGs

Posts: 194 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Damn, again we in Pennsylvania have it made!

Just renewed...20 bucks. Big Grin

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indiana's can be as high as $135 for the initial application, but that's for the lifetime one so, depending on your age at the time, that cost could be amortized over a lot of years!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think some States are into making $$ with the CC license fees.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I think some States are into making $$ with the CC license fees.

And particularly soaking non-residents for revenue. NH non-resident: $100 for 4 years, FL non-resident: $112 for 7 years, IL non-resident: $300 for 5 years, MA non-resident: $100 EVERY year.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
The article got me with the "raised 50%" part and then...$20.

A whole twenty bucks, huh.

Tyranny, I tell you. Tyranny. Roll Eyes

Count your blessings. Knowing how state level bureaucracies work I'd be astounded if they weren't losing money even at the raised rate.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post