SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Appendix carry convince me with some pictures
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appendix carry convince me with some pictures Login/Join 
posted
This seems to be the latest in high speed carry methods and I even tried it a few times but seems very difficult to
Pull off. I have seen plenty of pictures of tall thin people standing saying it is so comfortable and conceals easily.
What I am looking for is pictures of us not so thin short guys getting away with this and especially pictures of people using this carry method sitting! I have never seen any appendix advocate show a picture of what it is like to sit in The car or office with an appendix rig- please contradict my conclusion it is only good for tall thin people who stand a lot

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Good luck

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
To quote Colion Noir,"appendix carry is for skinny people who carry glocks"

Posts: 6298 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
To quote Colion Noir,"appendix carry is for skinny people who carry glocks"

And I'll append that by saying 'who stand up all day long' as well.

I'm not a huge guy, not small either. Appendix works perfectly fine for me with either an FNS9c or a G19, but only when I'm standing. Sitting down to drive or anything like that the gun digs into my hip and upper leg, BAD. I'll stick with IWB strong side unless I can get away with OWB strong side under outerwear.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 5'8" and closing on 200. I am not thin and I appendix carry a 23 with XC1 in a G Code Incog with no issues. I wear the same shirts I wore when I carried IWB at 3 o'clock with no issues. I find it comfortable for sitting on the couch or at a desk and for driving and I feel that it's an easier draw in the car than any other method.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again I would request pictures of you in the seated positions to get a better idea of how the system works in a seated position

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
How would a picture help? Unless you want to see someone wear clear pants to see gun placement against bodily parts, I dont see how you can tell if it works or not from a picture of someone sitting with a gun stuffed in their pants.

I've been carrying a glock 26 appendix for almost 2 years now. Sitting in a car is more comfortable than sitting straight up like if you were at a restaurant. I've driven 4+ hours several times non stop without any discomfort.

I carry it closer to 1:30 oclock position. The muzzle is rested in the crevice in front of your inner thigh and groin.

I will try to take a pic of me sitting down sometime, but i'm not sure how you want to me to go about it? Take a pic of the front of my pants while seated?

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess what I am saying is I see young thin guys show pics of how great appendix is standing up showing a frontal view of the holster and gun in place just do the same thing sitting. Honestly my point being is all these guys saying appendix is great either never sit down sit down very infrequently for limited amounts of time or are conveniently ignoring that appendix doesn't work with prolonged sitting. I can see how a short gun like a glock 26 could work, but when I see some guy advocating it with a full size 1911 my 30+ years experience carrying concealed wants to throw the bs flag

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I moved to AIWB many years ago due to wanting to carry my P229, but my weight making a double stack gun harder to conceal at 4:00. I tried many of the popular holsters on the market at that time, (2009-2012) and never really found the one.

I ended up designing my own, the Katana, a single loop with a molded wedge that used leverage and belt pressure to tuck the grip in tight. The single loop, mounted on the centerline/balance point, allowed the holster/weapon to self adjust with body movement. Going from standing to sitting, the muzzle end that would stick in the wearer's thigh, could move to the free space at the inner thigh.

I closed up shop to change careers, (day job), Oct. before last, but will be reopening soon, I still get weekly requests to build gear after a year plus hiatus. I'm proud of my design and reputation I made for turning out refined Kydex. Plenty of reviews floating around out there, and here also if they haven't been pruned by time.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Captain,
Did you have a chance to watch the two videos in my thread?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5050071914

I've also been looking at appendix carry and so far, I am leaning toward the holster I found because of where it is positioned when sitting.

Posts: 2854 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Hi Captain,

I've also been looking at appendix carry and so far, I am leaning toward the holster I found because of where it is positioned when sitting.

You will never have access to your gun if you are in any position other than standing. That holster is a death trap, please reconsider.

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I just took these. This is sitting straight up 90 degrees.

It is more comfortable sitting in a car as you are more in a relaxed angle. Carrying my G26 is even easier.

This is a Glock 19 in a Stealthgear Revolution with my own clips that are a bit longer than the ones they come with.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
quote:

Hi Captain,

You will never have access to your gun if you are in any position other than standing. That holster is a death trap, please reconsider.

Thanks for the input Matt!

I was thinking about that as well because all of the draws in the first video are while standing except for the very last one which is from a seated position. I would have expected more seated position draws if it wasn't an issue.

I was hoping someone here has first hand experience who can provide their input, unfortunately I haven't found anyone who owns one.

Posts: 2854 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
quote:

Hi Captain,

Thanks for the input Matt!

I was thinking about that as well because all of the draws in the first video are while standing except for the very last one which is from a seated position. I would have expected more seated position draws if it wasn't an issue.

I was hoping someone here has first hand experience who can provide their input, unfortunately I haven't found anyone who owns one.

You are welcome, just trying to save a SF brother some money. Smile

posted Hide Post
Did look at the video thanks and to the poster with picture thanks as well. I still have my favored old school ( for an old guy) carry methods that work for me. Appendix is all the rage these days and the picture ( thin guy of taller stature) pretty much convinced me despite all the advocates of this carry method that it has limited application based on body type activity and such.

posted Hide Post
Appendix carry is pretty darn individual. It doesn't require six-pack abs. On the other hand, it's not going to work the guy with a beer gut that hangs over his belt. You may have to borrow or pick up a holster and try it for yourself.

AIWB seems to be all the rage right now. I have a fairly flat stomach, and for me it works very well. I feel I can conceal a bigger gun easier than the standard 3 o'clock carry. I also feel I have better access and retention under more circumstances. On the other hand, I recognize and respect the additional risks associated with the carry mode.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any pictures but AIWB has been the best thing to happen to my concealed carrying, ever.

I use a G-code incog holster and a G19, wear it all day everyday. I work in a place where I am sitting for 80% of the day and AIWB is much more comfortable for me.

However, I do wear the holster at dead center, 12 oclock. This requires me to shift my belt buckle slightly to the side to make clearance. Also I am a lefty if that matters.

Posts: 118 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan. My favorite IwB holster is an appendix rig, but I carry it behind my right hip. I like that the holster itself is very minimalist. I find appendix carry hideously uncomfortable and I don't like muzzling my junk.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried AIWB from time to time since the mid-Eighties, usually a second gun, as my default carry position is 0300, same as my duty pistol while in uniform. It has almost always been a revolver, which is thinner than a blocky auto, except for the cylinder. I have finally found an AIWB that suits me, for carrying a Glock, the "George" holster, made by JM Custom Kydex dot com. It remains to be seen whether my primary weapon will migrate to AIWB after I retire from LEO-ing.

In my experience, and observation, skinny folks have a more-difficult time concealing at the appendix position. The most difficult part of an auto, for me to hide, is the blocky rear of the slide, of a striker-fired pistol.

I will never try to "convince" or "persuade" anyone to carry AIWB. Doing it wrong is simply too dangerous, and I cannot coach someone, sight unseen, especially with the limitations of the printed word. Moreover, AIWB is not for everyone, no matter how high-speed or low-drag.

As for photos, I am not nearly computer-literate enough to know how to post images here.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
I'm an average 31YO male. 5'8" 170# with ~10-15# that I could afford to lose if I tried hard enough.

I tried a handful of holsters at the 3-4:30 position and found that if I carried anything bigger than a Shield, my back was SO torqued by the end of the day, I could barely move. It may have been that I was just not used to the extra weight but my body didn't appreciate it at all.

I played around with a VP9 in the AIWB position and the barrel and grip were just too long. It jabbed the inside of my right thigh really bad and it just didn't conceal as well as I had hoped.

I bought a lightly used Kydex rig for my P320compact that took advantage of an RCS concealment claw and it made a huge difference for me. It provided just enough additional torsion on the grip for it to bury into the squishiness of my gut. The muzzle was still a little long so I decided to invest in the most comfortable thing I could find. I purchased a Stealthgear AIWB+ rig for the Subcompact model, but I asked them specifically to leave the muzzle end of the kydex open. It would essentially allow me to carry my whole P320 platform (including full size if I wanted) in the same rig. I still prefer the 3.6" Subcompact slide for overall comfort but I change it up with the Compact slide sometimes.

Now, here are some of the key things that I don't read a lot about but seem to have made the difference for me:
1) The additional concealment provided by ANY claw type attachment is worth the investment. I've had a great kydex guy just make some radiused pieces that work just as well as the molded RCS piece. It has to attach directly to the holster though, or a lot of the added push gets absorbed into the rubber mounts.
2) You really do NOT want to jam this thing as deep into your pants as possible. It's just going to make bending and sitting harder. I found that if I sat without the holster, then put the holster in without clipping it onto your belt, it'll give you a good idea of where it should be located to allow for very reasonable movement. I picked up some spare polymer clips to be able to fine tune my ride height and it's been great. I do just about everything with it on now, aside from shoveling snow, cuz that just sucks in general.
3) A good thin belt will make it a breeze. I started out with a thick Hanks leather belt. It was fine but between the double thickness of the leather and the bulky buckle, it made any additional thickness up front print right through my shirt. I stumbled upon a belt made by Warfytr called the A-Frame belt. It's a little non conventional but it works beautifully. Very secure, minimal and strong. I have recommended this Belt to all my CC buddies.
4) You're going to have to shift its position slightly when you sit. All it takes is a slight brush of the front of your shirt and it'll move. Standing up and it will just settle naturally.

Here's some pics of my rig under one of my most fitted shirts:

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post