SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do I REALLY need a new leather holster?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I REALLY need a new leather holster? Login/Join 
posted
I've Finally been able to buy an all stainless P229 (non-railed) that I've wanted for a long time now.

I've carried my p229R Sigs in leather holsters for years.

I was getting ready to order a new holster for a non-railed Sig and decided to try my new purchase in my current leather holsters.

It fits Perfectly! Well, unless I'm missing something, it fits perfectly.

What am I missing here?

Is there really a reason I should consider buying a new holster that's made for a non-railed Sig P229?

BTW, my non-railed Sig is LNIB (if that makes any difference)

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I think that if it fits Ok and isn't flopping aroung in the holster you should be good to go.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
I think that if it fits Ok and isn't flopping aroung in the holster you should be good to go.

Thanks.

That's what I was thinking.
I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something.

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should be good to go; retention is usually dependent on the trigger guard or molding from the majority of the surface of the pistol , not solely on the rail surface. I asked the same from John Ralston of 5 Shot Leather, when he made a SME AIWB for my 220ST. My intent was to carry my '96 220 but be able to use for the railed pistols for BBQs. He advised the retention was predominantly based on the trigger guard.

Side note, so I picked up a P220 Carry SAS (no pics) for my retirement EDC... Funny, it fit all my 220 railed holsters but not my standard ones; no go in a Milt Spark's 22 year old Summer Special or my Wilson Combat Rapid Response, also over 20 years. Needed (wanted!!!) an IWB so ordered the Milt Sparks Nexus! Can't wait!

So, no, you don't "really need" a new holster.... but "do you want a new leather holster?" is the real question... 'cuz who doesn't? I did

This message has been edited. Last edited by: madmatt,

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need? No.
Want? Yes. Big Grin

OK, I admit it. I am a holster junky.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I carry railed and non railed 226s in the same holster.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post