SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CCW options for under a tucked in shirt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW options for under a tucked in shirt Login/Join 
posted
Our church youth are participating in an outdoor program this week and all will be dressed in period correct clothing. After talking with retired LEO who will be attending, they've encouraged CCW.

What options do I have, if any, under a shirt that will be tucked in, a belt and suspenders?

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are a number of ways to carry with a tucked-in shirt:

Pocket holster
Ankle holster
Tuckable IWB holster
Belly band
Smart Carry pouch
Pack/satchel

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's something on SmartCarry I first posted several years ago:

It works for me. CCW holsters are a balance between concealment, comfort, and accessibility, and my first priority is concealment. Sometimes I carry my LCP or PM9 in a pocket, but most of the time it’s in Smart Carry. I also have a super-size model and on rare occasions I carry my G-19 and two spare mags.

I no longer carry my 642 or PPS, but like the LCP, PM9, and now G-43 they fit fine in my medium (holster, not hip size) Smart Carry. You buy the size holster for the largest gun you plan to carry.

Comfort is not an issue on long trips; Last fall I drove east (2500 miles r/t) with my LCP and almost forgot it was there.

Pros:

No cover garment, shirt can be tucked in or out

Wear under shorts, long pants, or sweats. Even business casual.

One size holster fits almost all

No one looks there

Superior concealment

Slot for spare mag/speed strip

Can draw with support hand

Cons:

May not support a heavy gun

Potentially slower draw

Reluctance to keep a gun there

Need to buy pants one size larger

Other members may have additional pros and cons. It's not the perfect holster, it’s not for everyone, but Smart Carry works for me.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I like either Alien Gear (their Cloak Tuk 3.0) or a Milt Sparks VM-2 with Sparks' proprietary clips to allow for IWB "tucked" carry.

The fact that you need something this week could be an issue time-wise.

What are you planning to carry? I have an Alien Gear sized for a 1911 and a VM-2 sized for a J-frame, also a VM-2 sized for a 9mm or .40 Glock. If one of these might work for you, maybe I could send one to you as a loaner? Let me know...email address is in my profile.

(Edited to add: I see "P229" at the bottom of your post. Not sure if that's your signature line or if you're stating there that's the gun you need to be able to carry. If it's indeed a 229, I wouldn't have any holsters to offer for use).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Comp-Tac tuckable IWB (I think the model is the minotaur). Works great for me with either a 229 or a Glock 32. The key for me is to "blouse" my shirt slightly all around my waist.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

<post>

I am such a fan of this holster; sometimes feel like I am the only one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use this.
http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html
One button and my gun is in my hand.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Tuckable IWB would be my top choice, based on what I currently own.
The clips would be visible, but likely only noticed by someone that knew what they were.
2nd option for me would be pocket carry, assuming that would work in your 'period correct' garments.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
During the cool months I use and IWB tuckable under a button down shirt at work at 3 o clock.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Vedder Holster Light Tuck holster for my P228 just so I could carry it AIWB when in dress clothes and a suit jacket was not a reliable cover garment. This was only for situations when open carry was not an option (normally when in a suit I just use the suit jacket to conceal, but open carry when suit jacket comes off).

Posts: 4 | Location: Grand Junction, CO | Registered: June 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a galco king tuk holster that I wear when I must tuck in my shirt. It's fairly inexpensive and easy to find off the shelf at several of my local gun stores.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have this exact holster for my CZ P01 that I wear daily from Clearwater Tactical. It is very comfortable and has adjustable cant for either aiwb or strong side carry.
http://clearwater-tactical.com...dual_layer_holsters/

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
. . . Milt Sparks VM-2 with Sparks' proprietary clips . . .

^^^^^This. You'll find it at this LINK.

It'll take a while to get to you, though, something over four months. This is what they say about their backlog:

quote:
Backlogs

While every effort is made to expedite your order in a timely manner,there is always the inevitable backlog situation. Backlogs have been the bane of Milt Sparks Holsters for as long as we have been in business. One of the most frequently asked questions is "Why does it take so long to have a holster made?" The answer is that the demand for our product has always exceeded our ability to produce. It doesn't take so long to actually make the holster, its the processing of the hundreds of orders that are ahead of yours that keeps us behind. It has been our past experience that no matter how many craftsmen we add to the staff, when our delivery times drop, the demand picks up and we are soon back in the same situation. Still, we are trying to address the problem and recently we have added an extra employee, now bringing us up to six.

Information concerning our current delivery schedule can be viewed by visiting this page.

We understand that many of you cannot wait the time it takes to get our product direct from us. For those who cannot wait, I may suggest that you contact one of our dealers listed at the bottom of this page for possible in-stock delivery.

But it's worth the wait.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Hey, glad to see another VM-2 fan!

If one can't wait, Top Gun Supply often has a fair selection of VM-2s in-stock (the Kydex clips, too).

To the OP - how did it all go at the event?

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

<post>

I am such a fan of this holster; sometimes feel like I am the only one.

You are not alone........ R

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry for those few times a year when I have to wear a suit.

Although my IWB holsters are tuckable, I prefer to just switch to my LCP and pocket carry in a Nemesis holster.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post