SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Heading to NC need resource to explain CCW rules
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to NC need resource to explain CCW rules Login/Join 
posted
Hello,
I am taking to trip to NC and want to know an accurate, simple, clear and concise document for determing the CCW laws in NC. The prohibited places, the need to notify officer, rifle transport, etc...

Thanks

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
This may not be what you're looking for but clear and concise on the internet usually means someone's interpretation. That's not a good defense. The best place to learn about a particular state's statutes is to research the statutes themselves.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/En...er_14/GS_14-269.html

A quick look indicates that NC is fairly permissive in regards to firearms. I was going to suggest the NC DPS website but it looks like in NC, individual sheriff's offices administrate CCW permits IF they are even required. That would still be a good resource to check, however.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
www.handgunlaw.us is a great informative site

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
handgunlaws.us is good

Here's a handy chart of prohibited carry places from NC DOJ http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/a...ad531f0a2/NCCHC.aspx

Here's a more recent chart from NC DOJ http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/4...Citizens-for-NC.aspx

NC Dept of Justice

North Carolina Firearms Laws

Check the specific city you are going to.

Here's a list of and links to statutes, put together by a member of the NC Gun Owners forum http://www.ncgunowners.com/for...thread.php?tid=21209

And this summarizes the self-defense laws:

North Carolina stand your ground law is addressed in NCGS § 14-51.2 and § 14-51.3 and are summarized below:

A person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any place he or she has the lawful right to be if either of the following applies:

You reasonably believe that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another; or
You are in your home, vehicle or workplace and that the person against whom the defensive force was used was an unlawful intruder or was attempting to forcibly and unlawfully enter one of the above.

And, a person who uses force per the above is immune from civil or criminal liability for the use of such force.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mikeyspizza,

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool thanks guys, I have some reading to do.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of y-not
posted Hide Post
I encourage all my students to use Handgunlaw.org and LegalHeat as a phone App.

“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

Posts: 642 | Location: Pinellas Park, Fl | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
If you have any specific questions feel free to email me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:
Hello,
I am taking to trip to NC and want to know an accurate, simple, clear and concise document for determing the CCW laws in NC. The prohibited places, the need to notify officer, rifle transport, etc...

Thanks

If you don't have what you need, please email me.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post