SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Anyone using GALCO holsters for thier SIG's?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using GALCO holsters for thier SIG's? Login/Join 
posted
I've been looking at some OWB holsters with retention snaps for my P250C and P239.

I have a Galco "FLETCH Hide Ride" for my GP100 (which I never carry) and was thinking about getting that or the "Cop Three Slot" for my P250C or P239 (or both).

Anyone have experience with the GALCO products?
How much 'break in' is required?
Other suggestions or OWB's with retention?

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
In the past, I used the Galco Concealable as an off-duty holster for my SIG P226 and P220.

But, preferred my Kramer horsehide belt scabbard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
same as orive8, galco concealable. Had it for ~10 years and still happy.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a PLE paddle holster that I used for many years every day. I always wanted the FED paddle but pretty much quit using paddle holsters. I had a Miami Classic that I really liked as well. I used one of their duty holsters too. Never had one of their pieces that I did not like.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with retention holsters, but, I do have a Galco Concealable for P228/P229. It's not my EDC rig. I bought it used years ago from a forum member. It still looks like new. I like the open top, cant and form fit. I think it would be better if it had a slide guard, though I haven't had any issues without one. Galco makes quality products for an off-the-shelf holster.

Posts: 723 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had the Galco Classic Lite shoulder rig for years. Excellent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
I've been looking at some OWB holsters with retention snaps for my P250C and P239.

I have a Galco "FLETCH Hide Ride" for my GP100 (which I never carry) and was thinking about getting that or the "Cop Three Slot" for my P250C or P239 (or both).

Anyone have experience with the GALCO products?
How much 'break in' is required?
Other suggestions or OWB's with retention?

IMHO, Galco isn't what it used to be. I used to be a big fan of Galco stuff but it seems like in the last 5 or so years, they've really starting jacking up the prices and the quality is not where it used to be. To me, the leather feels much softer and squishier than it used to be. The newer holsters have a lot more flex than they ever used to. The molds are not as tight and the leather panels also seem a lot thinner than they were in years back.

These days, I'm much happier spending my money with Mitch Rosen for leather goods. Their Express Line is better built than Galco and seems to be about 10-15% cheaper. Case in point: I just paid $90 for a brand new Rosen Premier Express which is the same style as the $112 Galco Side Snap Scabbard. I had the Rosen in my hands within a week.

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Agreed. For the same price as a middling-quality, mass-produced factory Galco holster, you can get a high quality custom leather holster from one of the various holster craftsmen out there.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Years ago, GALCO was top of the line, way above HUME, G&G, BIANCHI and even SAFARILAND. They were considered custom because they were not universal like the others. A bonus was they were local to us in AZ. Rumor had it the company was using off shore manufacturing sources but prices continued to approach the cost of a real custom holster.

Buy a real custom holster made exactly as you want it.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Might try checking out Aker. I have several Aker Flatsider holsters for Sig P220, and Glock 19 & 26.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've used a Galco FLETCH with a P226 and a Galco Miami Classic and, later, their Jackass shoulder rig with a P229.

Good stuff, though I agree with comments above that for right about the same dollars, one can get some mighty nice custom leather.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Years ago, GALCO was top of the line, way above HUME, G&G, BIANCHI and even SAFARILAND. They were considered custom because they were not universal like the others. A bonus was they were local to us in AZ. Rumor had it the company was using off shore manufacturing sources but prices continued to approach the cost of a real custom holster.

Buy a real custom holster made exactly as you want it.

My sentiments exactly.

I got an 'inside' connection and was able to purchase all the Galco goodness I could stand. But I sought them, not because they were local. I actually got an old Galco holster in some wheeling and dealing that said "Large Auto" on it. I didn't think much of it, it looked mottled and neglected and not very impressive.

Eventually discovered it was as described. I could put a 1911 in it or a P226 (my EDCs) and suffered no shortcomings with either. Decent retention, presentation, concealment, no squeaks...just a venerable holster doing it's job.

I tried the various new Galco's I got - and even though I got a great price (they are too proud of what they do anymore - and the quality does not command their pricing), they just weren't even close to the serviceability of the older beater I had obtained.

I ordered a holster from Mr. Grizzle early on, after researching a lot of holsters price/usefulness. It was for a G30. I use it exclusively - and it does occasionally squeak, but I think I'm the only one that can hear it. The price point and quality are right up there. Certainly better than Galco.

I did just purchase a 'used' Galco Miami Classic that might as well be new. Haven't used it yet, so no eval from me, but I'm sure it will be comparable to the ones I've had before. My only beef is it will accommodate standard Sig P226 9mm mags, but not the Mecgar 18 rounders with baseplates.

VMII's are good to go, I've got a few, just don't want to take the time to don them. Quicker to slap on a standard OWB and go. Where I am, I really don't care about 'printing'. Too few notice, and if someone asks me if I'm carrying a gun, I just say, "You aren't?"

RogueJSK hits the nail on the proverbial head. I'm not buying any more 'factory' holsters any more. Buy once, cry once.

For eternity, I refused to use retention holsters, thumb breaks, etc; - they will slow me down and get me killed was my thinking. So, I've insisted on open topped holster that held well but allowed a smooth presentation.

I've rethought that position. I don't think a few tenths of a second will buy me more than knowing it's not coming out until I want it to do so. You are on the right track.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jager,

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Twenty years ago, when I started my career, GALCO was considered top of the line for production holsters. They were good looking, solid, and well fitted holsters. They cost more than Don Hume, but they were higher quality. You also have to remember that custom makers weren't antyhwere near as prevelant as they are now. You couldn't just go onto the Internet and have dozens of leather makers with molds for every conceivable handgun lined up.

In the time since, GALCO's quality has declined. The leather is thinner, softer, and not as well fitted. The cost has gone up. Quality leather is now easy to find, and often costs LESS than GALCO provided you are willing to wait 4-6 weeks. Kydex is even quicker.

I still own a couple of GALCO Fletch holsters. I bought them for my 229 and 239 for carry on duty. I needed plainclothes holsters with retention straps for on duty use as an investigator. They served that role acceptably while I found someone to make me new rigs for both gun (Lobo Gun Leather does thumbreaks).

GALCO stil makes serviceable stuff. It tends to get floppy fast and doesn't ride as close to the body as I'd like. Break in is fairly minimal as the holsters are often cut on the loose side to begin with. Occasionally you'll get a retention strap that needs stretching.

You can do a lot better for not much more or sometimes even less money.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I like the looks of the Aker HuggerXL.

posted Hide Post
UPDATE: One of the LGS's in my area is having a sale and all their GALCO holsters are 25% off.
That got the price of the FLETCH High Ride down below $70.
Went down there on my lunch hour and got it.
Excited to get it 'broke in' and start using it.

posted Hide Post
DeSantis sells the same holster design, better made in my opinion. Heavier leather and stitching.
Carl

Posts: 41 | Location: Bofire1@comcast.net | Registered: May 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post