SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Anyone else find it easier to carry a larger gun?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else find it easier to carry a larger gun? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else experience this?
I usually carry a g19 or g34, sometimes a beretta 92 and have no trouble carrying iwb. I tried a xds and shield in the same style holster and it's far less comfortable and seem to print more.
It must be my body shape but the shorter sub compacts hit a nerve making it less comfortable and they don't seem to anchor as securely. The g19 and larger pistols have more surface area to distribute the weight/bulk and go further down my hip which seems to push the grip tighter to the body.

Posts: 2307 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’m with you. Thanks to IWB holsters, I have no problem carrying and concealing a full-size 1911 (much less a Commander or CCO-sized variant). For me, there’s just not a compelling reason to carry something smaller. (Granted, I DO carry something smaller, an Airweight J-Frame S&W stubby, in a pocket holster as a back-up).

My favorite IWB holster is the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2, closely-followed by their Versa-Max 2. I haven’t tried many others, but there appears to be a plethora of very good options out there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 5441 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my glock 17 iwb doesn't print as bad as my shield. I just figured it was the love handles in the way.

Posts: 224 | Location: Columbus, GA | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way and usually carry a 1911 or sig 228. I do on occasion carry my ppk/s but much prefer a larger weapon and have no issue concealing even a 226 or fs 1911. I also prefer the SS2.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 847 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Like others here, I typically carry a full sized 1911. A P226 in 9mm when I'm in areas where there may be more participants at the party (always bring enough party favors). The disclaimer being in AZ, I don't care much if I print or not, but I typically don't. Must be my tall lanky frame that allows it. The 1911 usually wins out though. I like the ability to pistol whip a brain trust if the opportunity presents itself.

Have taken to carrying a G30. Don't know why, because I don't like Glocks much. But they are so darn reliable and utilitarian. Have a G26 for those times when you absolutely positively are told 'no firearms'. Yeah, okay cowboy. Like your sign. And oddly, it's the most accurate pistol I own.

Posts: 2137 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying a G19 every day for several years now, every waking moment I'm not in bed. Stealthgear Onyx holster, even with gymn shorts or house pants when lounging around at home. I'm a bit chubby for appendix carry, but at about 2:30 on the belt, nothing shows. Two 17+2's on the other side even out the chubby look and nobody bats an eye.

Before that, it was the P220 or P229, and they printed a bit more. When I switched to Glock, I was amazed at how well they disappear under clothing compared to my Sigs for all the derision they get for being the "Block" or "2x4."

Haven't carried a 1911 IWB, but often "upgrade" to my G17 in winter months. Nobody sees it, or if they do, they don't say.

Have a G42 I bought for summer carry and did so until the Bataclan nightclub shooting and decided that I was giving up a fair amount of firepower for negligible gains in concealability. Now it's the 19 every day, all day, because I can. It's not tiny, it's the right size.

Posts: 9051 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Behind the hip, some longer weapons bridge-over a gap, where a shorter weapon will poke its nose into that gap, and jab me. Forward of the hip, if a weapon is too short, it is less stable than a longer weapon, though of course, there is a limit to what I can carry, and still be able to sit down.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3025 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call me crazy but when authorized (for over 20+ years), I always opted to carry my Sig P220 over approved Glocks, primarily for the round but I did find the full size P220 more comfortable. I believe the broader frame made for a better weight distribution. The full size single stack was perceived better, more comfortable than the double stack 228, 226 or Glocks. And after a back injury, the 5 Shot Leather SME AIWB (for the P220)was a "back saver!" I was committed to the platform; worked great for my body type; I carried for some long 20 hour days, seated, standing, driving etc,. Would still be my first choice today if officially authorized. I'll probably resume when I retire.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 375 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
The little guns that I like so well, with the two fingered grip, just don’t seem to work for me anymore. Guess I’ve lost some strength in my hands, and after a couple shots, I have to readjust my grip because the gun moves around.

Now my carry is a 229, or a 2022, in a Grizzle IWB, and one of his belts. The larger guns work better for me, and I don’t have any problem concealing them.

Posts: 2517 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a P226 IWB most of the time. Really is no harder to conceal than my G19 and the extra length balances well for me.

Posts: 740 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
It does when I use a proper belt and holster.
I got a 5-11 belt with a Galco Kingtuk and it made even the 1911 5" an option vs my 239 or G19 sized guns.

Posts: 5331 | Location: Near Sutters Fort.  | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I carry an HK VP9 for the time being and have no issues with printing. Come summer I may have to go back to a Shield but for now I like the 15 + 1 and a full size grip.

Posts: 1234 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think there are times when one would much rather have the ability to fire a full sized round than a 380.

Posts: 3377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a p320 carry and compared to the 92fs ive been carrrying, this thing is a lightweight.

Posts: 2307 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I find a larger sized pistol may be more stable with iwb carry which is my preference. A smaller pistol carried in the same manner tends to roll over when seated which occurs with several different manufacturers of holsters I've tried.

Hey stupid Hollywood "entertainers" and "professional athletes"...get over yourself. You're not that special unless you walked on the moon or received the Medal of Honor. Fat chance of that.

Posts: 8029 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
No full sized pistols for me. I like my SIG P938.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1959 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rappa
posted Hide Post
Carried a Shield 9mm for a while. The carry and concealment part of it was great...small, light, etc! The problem was drawing it from IWB. I didn't feel 100% secure that I could draw it quickly and smoothly enough with the short grip, no mag extension. Figured if I have to use the extended mag might as well go back to my Glock 19. Nice gun, but sold it and the Glock 19 is back on EDC duty.

Posts: 242 | Location: Largo,FL USA | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Those little guns are nice to carry but when I need a gun, I want a gun. In a decent caliber. I see guys buying a G43 and then adding 2 or 3 round extensions. What's the point ? Might as well carry a G19 or at least a 26. The smallest I will go is a Sig 239.
?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Carry, yes, conceal, no. Though I can carry a G19 or XD45c or my 1911pd IWB under an untucked polo & be good to go.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7711 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:
No full sized pistols for me. I like my SIG P938.

I'm with you brother all the way. 16.2 oz of all metal doesn't weigh me down like 28 oz. does.
7+1 of 9mm and a spare mag in my pocket and I forget it's there. I feel well equipped to handle what ever comes my way. So for me it's a p938.

Posts: 156 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post