SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Keep Your Wife/Husband/Kids/Significant Other On Your Off-Hand Side
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keep Your Wife/Husband/Kids/Significant Other On Your Off-Hand Side Login/Join 
posted
I was out for a walk with Mrs. Outnumbered recently when a LARGE, mean/angry dog charged us from between a couple of buildings. I yelled "NO!" in a booming voice, which (thankfully) stopped the dog, which is a good thing, since my wife had already grabbed tightly ahold of my right arm so I couldn't have drawn if I had needed to.

Perhaps this has been discussed before or addressed in your training, but thought I'd share a recent experience in case it might help someone.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’d also make damn sure you discuss that with the wife, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It is always a good idea to keep your strong hand free as much as possible. For example, if you carry an item or items that don't need both hands, carry them in your weak hand.

Posts: 27837 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
It is always a good idea to keep your strong hand free as much as possible. For example, if you carry an item or items that don't need both hands, carry them in your weak hand.

Yep. This is something that cops have had drilled into them for years, but it's a good idea for anyone who carries a handgun.

My wife thinks it's funny, because there are times that I'll have two or three things in my left hand (like a bottle of water, a bag of groceries, and my car keys) and nothing in my right.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have schooled all my GFs, EXs and other female types that should anything of threatening nature take place, they are to immediately step away from me and get on the phone to 9-1-1.
Certainly not fool proof but it does get them off the X ring and frees me up to do what I need to do.
And after I told a couple of them about this drill, they dumped me. No loss. If you are going to hang with me, its all part of the fun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife has outstanding situational awareness.

We have discussed this protocol: If she sees something that raises her spider sense, she is to position herself so that I am between her and the questionable person.

This accomplishes a few things:
  • It makes me aware that something might be up. She does not have to say anything.

• It lets me know where to look -- opposite side of where she is.

• It gets her out of the way in the event that I would need to draw and aim.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The woman is always to walk to the man's left side (unless the woman is the only one carrying).
There may be an exception for lefties, but that has never concerned me.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
No. Where I walk in relation to them depends on where we are. I am almost always behind them. Sometimes directly, sometimes off to one side or another. I almost always get in the car last and sometimes walk them to the passenger side and the kids both get in that door with the wife up front.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
No. Where I walk in relation to them depends on where we are. I am almost always behind them. Sometimes directly, sometimes off to one side or another. I almost always get in the car last and sometimes walk them to the passenger side and the kids both get in that door with the wife up front.

Kinda what I do, since I couldn’t find a great way to reconcile walking on the outside of the sidewalk in all occasions. I’m watching 360 and especially ahead and behind anyway and there’s been times I’ve went ahead to get between someone who looked sketchy or hung back enough to create more of a lead between the family and whatever didn’t look right. It has worked so far. The big thing is my wife knows not to grab my gun arm. It stays free for a reason, and even at age four, little man knows that when we’re out and about, Dad is doing guard duty and not “just there,” and if things get ugly, to go with Mom and stay well clear of whatever Dad has to deal with.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
It has been that way since the main weapon was a sword. Same reason you always walk a dog on your left side. You need to keep the gun hand free,

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have had this discussion previously. Usually right after she grabs my right hand and wants to walk on my right side, since in Memphis this usually puts her on the street side and away from the panhandlers.

Much like my cat, she needs frequent retraining....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Very good point. I try to subscribe to keeping my gun hand free but sometimes it just isn't.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I took to wearing my Fitbit on my right wrist. Keeps my right hand free to do what needs to be done and as a bonus, I never miss out on my steps...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Some things you learn in the military just stick with you. I got out 29 years ago and still keep my right hand free...just in case.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of the karate teacher who asked a student to attack him, and then the student does and punches him in the face. The teacher then goes "Hit me like this" and demonstrates how and when he wants to be punched.

Where the wife/kids/significant other are located really doesn't matter in the real world, unless you know where the attack is going to come from. And in that case, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

There must be some far more gangster people that inhabit the internet, because I generally don't go places at times where "leaving my gun hand free" is all that important. When I do go these places, I take a rifle, a plate carrier, and am not really worried about any of the other stuff.

This "Gray man" EDC special forces operator stuff gets a bit much.

-Keep your head up and out of your phone.
-Don't go places at times where bad shit happens.
-Carry a gun that you can shoot fast and accurate.
-A good run is always better than a bad stand.
-Be a good witness.
-Use common sense.

Follow those simple rules, and you'll be fine.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
This thread reminds me of the karate teacher who asked a student to attack him, and then the student does and punches him in the face. The teacher then goes "Hit me like this" and demonstrates how and when he wants to be punched.

Where the wife/kids/significant other are located really doesn't matter in the real world, unless you know where the attack is going to come from. And in that case, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

There must be some far more gangster people that inhabit the internet, because I generally don't go places at times where "leaving my gun hand free" is all that important. When I do go these places, I take a rifle, a plate carrier, and am not really worried about any of the other stuff.

-Be a good witness.
-Use common sense.

I'm not a gangster, grey man, karate teacher/student, mall ninja, and I don't play one on TV or the internet.

I'm just a dude who went for a walk with his wife, in a good neighborhood, during daylight hours. And almost got chomped by a big, bad-ass Rottie/Pit mix looking dog. I really wished at the time that my wife was walking on my left, so I had my gun hand free. Is that wrong or something?

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Or you can just carry two guns Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The technique I posted about earlier? It was developed in response to this real life event: I had been on three or four dates with this chick, who was now comfortable enough with me to tell me about her drunk, violent, loser ex-hubby.
It is a time honored tale.
I was taking her home after a date and when we approached her apartment door, a perfect imprint of a Vibram soled boot was on the door near the lock and the door frame was splintered.
I felt that having pistol in hand was appropriate at this point, so I drew my gun. When my date saw this (she was just behind me and on my right side) she let out an ear piercing scream, which scared the piss out of me. She then grabbed my upper right arm with both hands.
I told her to let go of me, shut up and step back away from me. Turns out the ex-hubby had broken in and vandalized the place, but was long gone.
And my date? she dumped me. Reason cited: My response to the situation frightened her and I should not have told her to shut up.
Ah, well. Win some, lose some.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
quote:

-Be a good witness.
-Use common sense.

I'm not a gangster, grey man, karate teacher/student, mall ninja, and I don't play one on TV or the internet.

I'm just a dude who went for a walk with his wife, in a good neighborhood, during daylight hours. And almost got chomped by a big, bad-ass Rottie/Pit mix looking dog. I really wished at the time that my wife was walking on my left, so I had my gun hand free. Is that wrong or something?

Again, blanket premonitions do little or no good. Because one thing happened, changing the way you walk is pretty pointless.

Having your gun hand "free" does you zero good if the attack is from the left, and your insistence on having your gun hand "free" just put your loved one in the line of fire. The true issue is teaching her not to latch on to you, and she stays wherever she stays and you adapt. SWAT teams, at least the competent ones, don't have a "you go this way, I'll go that way" rigid plan. We learned in the 90s that only led to getting people hurt. Worry less about where people are standing, and more on them not being an issue and not going places where its an issue.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
quote:

-Be a good witness.
-Use common sense.

Again, blanket premonitions do little or no good. Because one thing happened, changing the way you walk is pretty pointless.

Having your gun hand "free" does you zero good if the attack is from the left, and your insistence on having your gun hand "free" just put your loved one in the line of fire. The true issue is teaching her not to latch on to you, and she stays wherever she stays and you adapt. SWAT teams, at least the competent ones, don't have a "you go this way, I'll go that way" rigid plan. We learned in the 90s that only led to getting people hurt. Worry less about where people are standing, and more on them not being an issue and not going places where its an issue.

I agree that there's no telling where trouble may come from. I didn't mean to imply that her being on my left was a magic pill. Nonetheless, I'm right-handed.

So, there's 360 degrees of uncertainty, but 100% certainty of which hand I need to use to draw a gun holstered at 3:00 with, so I might as well not put a person over there. Basically, all else being (foreseeably) equal, keep your gun hand free.

Your point is well-taken, and I trust that given your expertise, is a critically important one. I don't however think our statements are opposed or mutually exclusive.