SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Semi for IWB Carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi for IWB Carry Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
Currently carry a G29 IWB, kind of gets uncomfortable after a while. I have also had feed issues with it on occasions. Love the gun, would never sell it, but I think its time to move on. I've never really paid much attention to semis in the past, mainly play with revolvers. I was looking for something thinner that would hopefully be more comfortable. No 9mm or .380, I don't need another caliber to stockpile. So looking at .357 sig, .40, .45 or .38 S. Problem is there are not too many, that I can find, that are thinner. The P250 compact is about the only Sig any thinner at 1.1" and in .40 has 10 round mags., which is good. I REALLY like the 1911 Ultra compact and the Dan Wesson Guardian but both are significantly wider than I have. I don't know if the style change from Glock, (boxy) to 1911 would make it easier to carry. Others I was thinking of was a 229 or maybe a 320. Any thoughts or suggestions on a comfortable IWB pistol? Anyone carry Glocks and compact 1911's, just wondering how they compare comfort wise. I also pocket carry a SP101 or 36 but I need more than 5 rounds.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P239 in .40 would be an excellent choice. Or an alloy frame Commander size 1911.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Look at what KAHR offers. While their lesser expensive polymer pistols seem to be more popular, their all stainless pistols are excellent choices in a striker fired pistol. https://www.kahr.com/

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What holster are you using IWB? I've currently had great luck and comfort with the Milt Sparks Nexus for my G26/G27s and Sig P220 carry. Maybe the 27 will work for you since it's thinner than the 29.
G36 maybe a good choice.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Cayanne,

How much mag capacity are you looking for?

Any double stack is not going to be much thinner. You could go with a Glock 23 in .40, and lose about 1/8".

If you want significantly thinner, you need to go single stack. Reading your post the Shield in .45 came to mind. You can do that in .40, and get the width under an inch. But .40 in a gun that small may be a handful. And, of course you'd be down in the 6-7 round mag capacity range. The G36 might also be a consideration.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
P239 in .40 would be an excellent choice. Or an alloy frame Commander size 1911.

Gonna be hard to find magazines in P239 .40 other than what comes w/ the gun. Frown Otherwise that's what I would be suggesting.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I'll look into your recommendations. The 239 looks like a contender. Now using a Galco Kingtuk with the G29. As far as capacity at least 8 rounds, 10 would be great, doubles the capacity of my revolvers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the M&P 40C (the original verson, not the 2.0)?

posted Hide Post
IWB carry is made MUCH more comfortable by using a thin pistol. Standard Glocks and Sigs are, FOR ME, too wide, especially the large-frame Glocks.

The single most comfortable gun I've found to carry IWB is a Glock 43, because it's noticeably thinner than regular Glocks. Next up is a 1911, followed closely by a Browning Hi-Power. I like Milt Sparks Summer Special II a lot, but my favorite is the Watch Six, which they no longer make.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying a Walther PPS M2 (9mm) in a Milt Sparks Leather "Summer Special 2" IWB for more than a year and I love it! The pistol is very thin, light, accurate, and has functioned perfectly for me. I usually carry it with a seven round magazine in the gun and an eight round magazine in the matching pouch. This pistol isn't a "high" capacity, but certainly provides more rounds than a five shot J-frame S&W with a lighter and thinner profile.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I like leather for an IWB holster. They age well and the oil from your body customize it over time... Only down side, but I think this is with any pistol carried inside the waste, is the frame needs to be stainless or you need to clean and polish it every day (if you live in the south especially)... personally I like sub compact and find that over time you almost forget you are carrying.... Started with a Sig P230... then Ruger LC9s, now a Sig P290

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Finally got out and got to play with a few this past weekend, just in the store. I was able to see the Sig Ultra, Dan Wesson Guardian, and a Colt Defender laying side by side. I'll be honest I think I liked the Colt the best. Anyone have experience with the Colt Defender?

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thin & powerful, doesn't get much better than an alloy 1911 Comm. I do like my P239 but also my G32 or a G23.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So your going mini-1911? I find them interesting, but they have spotty reputations.

quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Finally got out and got to play with a few this past weekend, just in the store. I was able to see the Sig Ultra, Dan Wesson Guardian, and a Colt Defender laying side by side. I'll be honest I think I liked the Colt the best. Anyone have experience with the Colt Defender?

Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BBMW:
So your going mini-1911? I find them interesting, but they have spotty reputations.[QUOTE]

I have tried the mini-1911's in the past too and always took a bit a work to get them 100% reliable and then only when rigorously maintained.

Have you looked at the Glock 36 or S&W Shield 45? I find both to be thin, pleasant shooting 45s

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm is very effective, has low recoil, and is low cost to shoot. Personally I would buy the P365 and possibly dump .40 caliber from your lineup.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I vote Sig p250 compact.... single stack can be your friend for Inside the Waste Band Carry....

striker fired is overrated....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The P250 compact is about the only Sig any thinner at 1.1" and in .40 has 10 round mags., which is good.

The P250C in .40 holds 13. P250SC holds 10. Both are easy to carry iwb and work great for me.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
S&W Shield in 40, 357 (aftermarket barrel) or 45. Having owned all of these, the 45 ACP is the softer shooting Shield of those three.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you generally like striker fired guns, try the Springfield XDs in .45. It is very controllable, sights are excellent, the trigger is smooth, and the package is very thin.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post