SIGforum
Carrying a backup, or second gun in CO

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/8210097554

April 18, 2019, 05:38 PM
bigpond73
Carrying a backup, or second gun in CO
I didn't want to derail Sigfreunds thread in regards to carrying a BUG ankle carry, so figured I would start this.

I realize Sigfreund is a part of law enforcement, and may have special allowances bestowed upon him, but for the rest of us folks in CO, who are allowed a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP), what is the law regarding carrying a second, or back up gun?

I have asked my local Sheriff. He doesn't have a problem with it, but doesn't know whether the law permits it. I have tried researching various laws and found no definitive answer. Does anyone have any sort of precedence or law concerning the carrying of a backup weapon in the state of CO, and its legality?

Thanks,

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
April 18, 2019, 07:44 PM
RHINOWSO
Better to beg forgiveness...
April 18, 2019, 08:56 PM
sigfreund
In the many times I have read the applicable statutes, I have seen nothing that mentions any restriction on carrying more than one handgun, concealed or otherwise. (As I am sure you are aware the concealed carry permit law specifically refers to handguns.)

The first permit I received was granted prior to the current “shall issue” law, and the sheriff at that time required that the permits list the specific weapon permitted. I requested a permit that authorized more than one gun to allow me to carry either, but he was recalled from office shortly thereafter, and the next permit I received was under the current law. I never believed there were any restrictions on the number or type of handguns authorized by the CHP. Such statutes tend to be restrictive (e.g., “… one handgun …”) if that is the lawmakers’ intent rather than make an affirmative statement allowing multiple guns to be carried.

The general rule in this country is that if something is not specifically prohibited, it is permitted. (Except, perhaps, in the armed forces; the word “unauthorized” is usually equivalent to “prohibited.”)

Added: As a point of possible interest, law enforcement officers are very often subject to more restrictions in their choice of weapons than non-LEOs due to specific policies. Many agencies feel compelled to dictate specific firearms that may be carried and it’s not uncommon to limit, or even prohibit secondary weapons—even including knives. The supposed “thinking” that goes into such policies eludes me, but I have seen some amazing examples.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
April 19, 2019, 07:41 AM
bigpond73
Thanks guys.

After exhaustive research into the issue, and finding nothing that says yes or no, I am just going to start carrying a BUG. I suppose if my Sheriff has no issue with it, then I shouldn't either Big Grin.

Thanks again.

Mike

April 19, 2019, 12:02 PM
az4783054
You may know more about the issue now than your elected sheriff. FWIW, there is no such restriction in AZ law.

I applaud you for actually reading the applicable statutes. Most people don't.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
April 19, 2019, 08:20 PM
chongosuerte
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Added: As a point of possible interest, law enforcement officers are very often subject to more restrictions in their choice of weapons than non-LEOs due to specific policies. Many agencies feel compelled to dictate specific firearms that may be carried and it’s not uncommon to limit, or even prohibit secondary weapons—even including knives. The supposed “thinking” that goes into such policies eludes me, but I have seen some amazing examples.

I have no info for the OP, but I'll comment to this...my old agency would allow an officer to carry as many bullets as he wanted. I think I carried something like 61 on me (3 15 round mags and a 15 round mag in the gun +1) and another 30 in my "go" bag.

But to carry a knife you had to have it approved through four or five levels above you.

My current agency, you are issued 46 bullets. If you are caught with a 47th bullet, you could get days off.

And you can carry as many knives as you can fit, and as big as you want without any approval (I suppose a machete would be discouraged, but I know plenty that carry fixed blades, myself included though concealed).

Makes perfect sense. Roll Eyes

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
April 20, 2019, 02:48 PM
Citadel
My old agency had a No carry list. Specific guns that did not pass muster for whatever reason. It was a pretty short list, agency required a firing pin block in any firearm. Second gun authorized and qualified at a department range. Nothing smaller then a 9MM or 38 Special. 5 round count or better. Everybody carries a blade of some sort, No approval required. Black Jacks were carried up until 2008-09. jacks are still permitted to LEO's under Crimes code. I know a few Local who still carry them, Most new guys don't even know what they are.
April 21, 2019, 03:37 PM
G-Dog
If I am not mistaken, New Mexico does have a prohibition on two or more concealed firearms.

quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Thanks guys.

After exhaustive research into the issue, and finding nothing that says yes or no, I am just going to start carrying a BUG. I suppose if my Sheriff has no issue with it, then I shouldn't either Big Grin.

Thanks again.

April 21, 2019, 05:34 PM
bigpond73
I believe you are correct G-Dog. I seem to recall reading about that in my research, one of the few states that do not allow it.

Mike

April 22, 2019, 08:55 AM
AH.74
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
I believe you are correct G-Dog. I seem to recall reading about that in my research, one of the few states that do not allow it.

Yes- it is the ONLY state I am aware of that specifically restricts it. At one point I tried to research the origins of that restriction but only got so far, finding only earlier revisions and drafts- no situation or case that prompted someone to think of the need to address a "potential problem."

NMSA 29-19-6.C.(4): the category and the largest caliber of handgun that the licensee is licensed to carry, with a statement that the licensee is licensed to carry smaller caliber handguns but shall carry only one concealed handgun at any given time.

IMO it's just another law that makes no sense at all in the real world.