SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealed carry insurance?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed carry insurance? Login/Join 
Picture of barry1967
posted
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Is USCCA legit? Or are there others to look into?

Being new to concealed carry, Things like this may be a good idea??

Any insight??

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1090 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think ccw insurance is prudent. Yes you are likely to never need it but if you do, you will wish you had something. Look at what they each offer. I went with CCWsafe

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7729 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
If you have an umbrella policy through, say, State Farm, isn't that good enough???

Posts: 7055 | Location: Sunset Highway MP37, then turn South | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
If you have an umbrella policy through, say, State Farm, isn't that good enough???

You'd have to check the policy. I think most, if not all, of those insurance policies won't cover intentional acts, i.e., defending yourself.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1042 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not "insurance," but I use ACLDN. I like it because, in addition to covering legal fees, they'll also provide expert witnesses if necessary and cover you even if you don't use a firearm to defend yourself (empty hands, knife, stick, etc.). They also provide lots of useful information.

Also, try a search. This topic has been discussed many times.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1042 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Umbrella type policies can be severely limited in scope and I wouldn’t trust an insurance company to save my ass if I had to defend myself.. not one that didn’t specialize in such policies. I’ve got a Elite membership with USCCA and have no regrets. Ymmv.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 4959 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There have been a number of discussions on this here and I say the same thing each time.
Read the information carefully. They are NOT insurance.
None of them.
If any claim to be, look them up with your state insurance commissioner's office.
I'll save you some time. You won't find them there.

Update 7/16.
I did a bit of research on these. Texas Law Shield and US Law Shield seem to be legally separate but related companies. They are registered in Texas and Florida as insurance due to state requirements but that does not appear to mean much except they have to post a $50,000 bond to do so. In other states, they don't and haven't.

Read the fine print on any of these "arrangements" and do some research before buying or better yet, listening to the pitch. Most appear to be another flavor of snake oil to me. YMMV.

I'd probably rather sit through a timeshare pitch. At least the location and food are likely to be better.

Some legal stuff here;
https://www.leagle.com/decision/intxco20161220863
This appears to me to be more about the class action validity but has a lot about the sales pitch and compensation to CCW instructors too.
I'd be curious to hear some of our Sigforum Texas gun owning legal eagles viewpoint, if they are willing to comment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 4298 | Location: North GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US Law Shield is what I use. Covers criminal and civil issues

Posts: 111 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US Law Shield as well.

Posts: 1596 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Dale:
US Law Shield is what I use. Covers criminal and civil issues

Regardless what they said in the sales pitch, you may want to read the fine print (the actual contract).

Posts: 4298 | Location: North GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post