SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealment vest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealment vest Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Any of you folks wear a concealment vest? Similar to a photography or fishing vest.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did for many years , back when I was living in AZ .

I found it handy and practical .

Some here will offer that any aspect of concealment goes right out the window, when you wear a vest.

Not because the vest will not conceal the fire arm,
But because
other fire arms carriers
see them as a banner
for concealed carry gun owners.

I am a proponent of vests.
Many give them a bad wrap Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have for years... From Oct. thru Mar. or Apr. depending on the weather around here I will wearing a vest every day. The Safari vest from Cabela's works well and does not yell gun. It looks like a fishing or photo vest but I also have several 5.11 vests. People have gotten so use to seeing me in a vest that they do not even think about the fact that I may be carrying.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Some here will offer that any aspect of concealment goes right out the window, when you wear a vest.

Not because the vest will not conceal the fire arm,
But because
other fire arms carriers
see them as a banner
for concealed carry gun owners.

I am a proponent of vests.
Many give them a bad wrap Wink

They're affectionately referred to as "shoot me first vests". Big Grin

It's a staple of the stereotypical "sheepdog uniform": cargo pants, photographer's vest, boots, and a ballcap with a velcro patch. Wink

I personally prefer just an untucked shirt. OWB can be concealed under a slightly oversized square bottom button-down shirt. IWB can be easily concealed under anything down to just a t-shirt.

So I don't see the need for bulky, overt cover garments like a large vest that everyone knows is being used to conceal a gun. (Unless you also happen to be wearing waders or holding a fancy camera. Razz )

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the time. In warm weather (about 2 weeks here) I wear either a Duluth Trading vest or a vest my seamstress lady made for me by cutting down a 4 pocket BDU shirt. In winter, I have several fleece (Duluth) or down vests I wear. My seamstress lady cut down a heavy weight hoodie into a vest that works well for me. When she cuts off the sleeves, I have her use the sleeve material to build large inside pockets for my phone and glasses. When I dont do the vest, I wear an untucked Propper tactical shirt over a T-shirt.
Lots bring up the "vests are shoot me first attire" comment,but where I live lots of people wear vests, so thugs would have to shoot a lot to get us all.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I have off and on for the past 35 years, just wore one today.

I even wore one during my plain clothes Pro Act unit assignment - bought drugs and hookers while wearing one Wink.

Last time I checked, no bullet holes in me... your mileage may vary though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Indeed, the data doesn’t appear to have arrived from the lab yet regarding the stats on the shoot-me-first rep of these vests.

Weather permitting, I have a handful that I wear out-and-about: one from Orvis and one from, of all places, Barranti Leather, neither of which give that “gun-vibe” to fellow gunfolk. I also have two straight-up photog vests. I kinda like ‘em all, personally.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think the ‘shoot me 1st’ adage is mostly just Gun guys joking about it. I’d expect the average sheeple to be clueless about the issue.

What’s the other one, ‘mid 50’s guy with the untucked Hawaiian shirt’. I guess he gets shot second.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
When I wear a photog vest, I tend to get asked how the fish are biting or, if in Walmart, where paint / housewares / goldfish food might be found - they’re a real conversation-starter haha... Wink

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m always slightly amused by terms like “shoot me first” vest or fanny pack or cargo pants or cap with Velcro patch or tactical boots or ….

First, I’m curious where members live that robbers walk in and start gunning down everyone in sight, starting with the ominous-looking ones who might be carrying. Is that a thing in some places? If it were, I would think it would make the news more often when it’s a matter of national interest if a couple of homeowners point guns at people whom they believe to be threats.
Detective: “So, why did you shoot that old guy?”
Offender: “He was wearing a vest and had a fanny pack. I thought he might have had a gun. Hell, I thought he might have had two guns.”
Detective: “But he didn’t, did he?”
Offender: “Well …, no, but he might have. You can’t be too careful, you know.”
Detective: “But not careful enough to think things through to avoid the needle, eh? Well, they say it doesn’t hurt.”

And if most robbers don’t go in guns blazing, how are they likely to react if they do see someone who could be carrying?
Thinking: “Well, chit! I wasn’t planning on shooting anyone, but now I guess I have no choice.”
Or:
Thinking: “That guy looks like he might have a gun; maybe he’s even a cop. Maybe he’s not alone. Wrong time, wrong place.”
And then saying, “Come on, Joe, I think I forgot to unplug the iron. Let’s come back LAAAter! Bye, bye, folks.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
If you like the vest wear it and don't worry about it.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the vests and fanny packs are not much better than open carry. It's not something I'd ever do, but it doesn't bother me that others do.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the exterior pockets are good for daily carry stuff.

I holstered all three of the guns I carried on the hip.

In the event that I had to visit the head for a sit down,
the vest came in very handy.

Close the stall door
put your gun in the inside vest pocket,
drop trou
T.c. b.
re trou
re holster
done deal
bobs your Uncle

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I usually reserve my vest use to cooler weather, but if you simply must wear one in the summe take a look at the Scott eVest. With the amount of technology people are carrying around I see more and more vests like these rather than the traditional photographers vest. Also, once your reach your 50's no one takes a second look at a vest or fanny pack.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Undertech [ https://www.undertechundercove...ght-concealment-vest ]. Doesn't look tacticool if that's a concern. Highly recommend going a size larger.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
It may go with having significantly less hair on my head, but I like my Hawaiian shirts - get most of them from Ky.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile
Hawaiian shirts,
From Kentucky
Smile

I hope they are better than the Mexican food that we get here in Northern Illinois
Smile