SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Holster, lined or unlined?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster, lined or unlined? Login/Join 
Picture of Greymann
posted
What's your leather holster opinion, lined with smooth leather or no lining just rough leather? Which would be easier on a blued pistol, less holster wear.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an expensive holster that was pigskin lined and the maker claimed it would reduce finish wear on a 1911.
The only difference I saw was that it slowed down the time it took for wear to appear. Since really fine bluing has now gone the way of the Dodo, I don't bother with a lining.
Royal blue Colt Peacemaker or Python? Maybe.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Any holster, lined or unlined, Kydex or leather, will cause some degree of finish degradation over time. People don't clean the interior of their holsters regularly. That leaves contaminants to abrade the finish with every R&R. Contaminants on a dirty pistol add to the issue.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I saw a video of a lined kydex knife sheath that made no noise on draw/insertion. That piqued my interest in lined holsters. Over all it's a bit of a folly because there will be some noise after draw regardless.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The old style blued finish is susceptible to wear with any type of holster, and the only way to completely avoid it is to not put the gun in a holster. If holster wear is unacceptable and is the main thing we’re concerned about, the easiest way to avoid it is to get a gun with one of the modern finishes like the current SIG Nitron that’s impervious to normal wear.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigfreund:
The old style blued finish is susceptible to wear with any type of holster, and the only way to completely avoid it is to not put the gun in a holster. If holster wear is unacceptable and is the main thing we’re concerned about, the easiest way to avoid it is to get a gun with one of the modern finishes like the current SIG Nitron that’s impervious to normal wear.
Thanks this is what I thought.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post