SIGforum
Holster, lined or unlined?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/8050089644

September 13, 2018, 10:51 AM
Greymann
Holster, lined or unlined?
What's your leather holster opinion, lined with smooth leather or no lining just rough leather? Which would be easier on a blued pistol, less holster wear.
September 13, 2018, 11:21 AM
YooperSigs
I had an expensive holster that was pigskin lined and the maker claimed it would reduce finish wear on a 1911.
The only difference I saw was that it slowed down the time it took for wear to appear. Since really fine bluing has now gone the way of the Dodo, I don't bother with a lining.
Royal blue Colt Peacemaker or Python? Maybe.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
September 13, 2018, 11:54 AM
az4783054
Any holster, lined or unlined, Kydex or leather, will cause some degree of finish degradation over time. People don't clean the interior of their holsters regularly. That leaves contaminants to abrade the finish with every R&R. Contaminants on a dirty pistol add to the issue.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
September 13, 2018, 12:54 PM
Voshterkoff
I saw a video of a lined kydex knife sheath that made no noise on draw/insertion. That piqued my interest in lined holsters. Over all it's a bit of a folly because there will be some noise after draw regardless.
September 14, 2018, 06:56 AM
sigfreund
The old style blued finish is susceptible to wear with any type of holster, and the only way to completely avoid it is to not put the gun in a holster. If holster wear is unacceptable and is the main thing we’re concerned about, the easiest way to avoid it is to get a gun with one of the modern finishes like the current SIG Nitron that’s impervious to normal wear.

6.4/93.6
September 14, 2018, 09:21 AM
Greymann
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigfreund:
The old style blued finish is susceptible to wear with any type of holster, and the only way to completely avoid it is to not put the gun in a holster. If holster wear is unacceptable and is the main thing we’re concerned about, the easiest way to avoid it is to get a gun with one of the modern finishes like the current SIG Nitron that’s impervious to normal wear.
Thanks this is what I thought.