SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    AIWB - sitting down?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AIWB - sitting down? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Trying out AIWB with a P365 in a belly band for deeper concealment. Even with the tiny gun, the muzzle digs into my upper thigh when I sit down. Is there anyway to sit comfortably? Is my dad bod to blame? I'm hoping there's a way to make this work for when I really don't want to get made...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dallas239,

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
At what "o'clock" position do you have it at?

For me and my Glock 26, I have found that between 1 and 2'oclock is the best compromise between conceal-ability and comfort. A bigger gun like a Glock 19, I would put it closer to 1, but it will tend to print if I am not careful, so I only carry the 19 if I have a sweater or something other than a t-shirt.

It could also be that your deeper carry is a bit too deep.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I would say 1 - 1:30. Any further over, and the butt prints.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum

posted Hide Post
Not a helpful contribution to your post, probably but I tried AIWB with a snub since I felt it would be quicker for a small revolver.
Nope. Worked with multiple holsters and positions but just could not find anything that was long term carry comfortable.
Sitting and driving were the most uncomfortable.
The will be some others who will chime in with more suggestions.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
I would say 1 - 1:30. Any further over, and the butt prints.

Since everyone's body is different, I can only suggest to experiment with different holster setups/ carry positions, ride heights, wings, claws, wedges, ect but sometimes it just doesn't work out for your body and or gun as YooperSigs has experienced.

This is currently my setup that works for me- Zorn Skinny Rig,1/4" wedge, slight negative cant on a 67mm length clip.

Notice how the maker formed the kydex smooth and contoured around the muzzle. It helps greatly with comfort as there are no protruding edges that push against your upper thigh/groin area.

For extra padding, you can lower or make a foam pad that slightly hangs off the end of the bottom so it wraps around the muzzle slightly and creates a foam cushion between your body and the holster.

Most kydex makers leave the edges of the kydex flanged and flared out which can sometimes be a problem for comfort when pressed against your tender bits. Smooth is best IMO.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Right handed and I have to carry just a bit right of high noon. That way the muzzle is just to the inside of my thigh and I'm able to sit. Any further to the right and it digs into my thigh quite uncomfortably.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
+1 to Nismo.

Belly bands are generally worn a little higher than conventional AIWB. The key to appendix for many is actually a longer barrel/holster. Hear me out. A longer barrel/holster can ride below the gut and into the crease of the leg. A good adjustable AIWB holster makes all the difference in comfort.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have dad bod. When I aiwb with any gun (P365 or Glock 32), I position it so the barrel goes between my leg and my junk so I don’t have any issues sitting down. Also when I get in the car, I put the seatbelt against my body and not against the holster/gun.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
So I had a crap belly band. I ordered a nicer neoprene one, and it works much better. I also ordered a holster, so I'll see how I like that. Still not sure about having the gun pointed at my bits all day...

Si vis pacem para bellum

posted Hide Post
Appendix is all the rage these days and a very polarizing subject.
Some advocates claim any other method is a fail and makes you incompetent
Opponents are convinced you will shoot yourself in the genitals or femoral artery
I don’t agree with either.
From what I can tell having carried a gun everywhere from armpit to ankle for the last 30+ years, is everyone’s body type and comfort level is different.
From what I can tell most appendix devotees tend to be tall and thin.
For those of us that are not things may be different.
Not only do I have the dreaded spare tire around my middle I have a very low waist. This last feature is the killer for me. Wearing my pants as I usually do at the hips ( not gangster low !) means there is only a few inches between my belt line and the crease of my thigh when sitting. I can barely manage a 2” J frame in appendix, so it is not for me. If my beltline fell a couple inches higher it would probably be fine.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possibly try moving it to the 11:00 or so, which also positions the grip to be more center lined for better concealment and draw.

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
So I had a crap belly band. I ordered a nicer neoprene one, and it works much better. I also ordered a holster, so I'll see how I like that. Still not sure about having the gun pointed at my bits all day...

This is similar to the process I went through with appendix/belly band type carry. Neoprene works well in the cooler months, for me.
All other times, I use a NRA-branded SmartCarry type setup with an elastic belt and nylon fabric pouch/holster. I run 2-3 times per week with this, carrying a Ruger LCR in it. It works great over 3-5 miles of up-and-down movement.
It also works well when wearing jeans. Moving the firearm just a little to the left of right can make all the difference in the world. Same thing with height above/below the belt line.
Hang in there, and experiment with all this. You'll find a setup that works well.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
One reason I do not like AIWB, just isn't comfortable for me & I am not a fatty. Even my G26 digs in when sitting. Not to mention very diff to draw from a seated position if you can't lean back.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Right handed and I have to carry just a bit right of high noon. That way the muzzle is just to the inside of my thigh and I'm able to sit. Any further to the right and it digs into my thigh quite uncomfortably.

This. But it also helps if your belly is smaller than your chest.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying AIWB exclusively since 2012. Primarily Glocks, but also Sigs, 1911's and 2011's. Everything from a G43 to a 5" 1911/2011. Experimenting w/ position and cant is critical obviously, but not to be overlooked is the impact of the holster being used. In today's market, everyone and their mom is a garage-based kydex bender, but not all kydex holsters are the same... and yes, kydex CAN be comfortable, if you're willing to pay for quality. In my experience, the best kydex AIWB holsters have been Dale Fricke, JM Custom and Long's Shadow Holsters. Your body type may dictate otherwise. For comparison's sake, I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs.

I've made many long-distance drives while carrying AIWB with little or no discomfort. Two that stand out were a 14-hr drive w/ a RMR'd G17 in a Dale Fricke Seraphim holster, and a 21-hour marathon drive w/ a P229 in a Dale Fricke Archangel holster.

One caveat I'll add is that sometimes you're gonna get poked or pinched. Almost impossible to avoid. But, like Clint Smith has been quoted as saying, "carrying a gun is supposed to be comfortING, not necessarily comfortABLE.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry assorted handguns of all sizes at about 1:30 with usually a T&T Gunleather Mike's Special. The holster is a VMII Clone that I like because it is slightly lighter with IMO a better cant.

When I carry my P365 I just use a simple Don Hume clip leather holster in the same spot.

No problems for years.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't have any particular trouble sitting or driving with a P320 Compact (or similar size) AIWB. I do have a pretty slender build. How low is the gun riding? I set mine to ride a little higher than usual.

This was a little low for my liking. It doesn't leave a lot of room under the grip for my fingers. Here the clip is in the lower pair of holes to make it ride higher. Much better.

With clip retention (plus the stabilizing tab, a corner of which can be seen sticking up) you can shift the gun slightly to find more of a "sweet spot." The gun is also not carried directly at 12:00. The top of the slide is more around 1:00-1:30. And a belly band around your waist/hips is unusual and doesn't sound very stable. As the name implies, they are usually worn around your middle, or higher up around your chest, approximately the position of a shoulder holster.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
some of it is where you wear the holster, some of it is the holster, and some of it is just getting used to the discomfort, unfortunately.

I generally carry in the 1 oclock position. Anything from a g26 to a g34. All conceal fine, I'm a big guy. All are uncomfortable occasionally. Adjust the holster, and move on with life.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I am thinking a cross draw for my application of having my Sig 229-40 quickly available with no carry pain. I do not have a dad belly but have thought a lot about the appendix considering carry OWB. Looking at the ryan grizzle leather Georgia Snap Cross Draw. https://rgrizzleleather.com/owb-holsters.html

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with your thoughts on a cross draw. I carried that way for years before I went to AIWB. I'm looking at Mitch Rosens "Titos Revenge" for an IWB cross draw. It's a little pricey but may conceal better than an OWB cross draw.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post