SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Carrying handgun in vehicle-Texas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying handgun in vehicle-Texas Login/Join 
Picture of buggsboy
posted
My son lives in Texas and works in down town Austin. He does not have his CHL-yet. Is it legal for him to travel in state with a handgun concealed in his vehicle? I told him it was legal under the Texas Castle doctrine. Legal or no? Thanks

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
It is, but it could end up costing him if he gets pulled over by an overzealous cop.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
I agree on the over zealous cops. Austin must be the most leftist city in the south. The do have some communist cops in Travis county.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn't leave a pistol in my car in downtown Austin, or in some pretty nice neighborhoods there, either.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buggsboy:
My son lives in Texas and works in down town Austin. He does not have his CHL-yet. Is it legal for him to travel in state with a handgun concealed in his vehicle? I told him it was legal under the Texas Castle doctrine. Legal or no? Thanks

Is it really covered under TX Castle doctrine? I don't know anything about TX laws I'm in LA.
In LA you can have it anywhere in your vehicle just not concealed on your body without a CHP.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
I read through the Texas gun laws again. I think it is legal, but it's hard to understand the weasel word lawyer talk used. I think you're good anywhere except maybe Austin. The catch is, as I read it, you're ok as long as you and the handgun stay in the vehicle. No leaving your car with it. I'm am hoping a lawyer chimes in. My apologies to lawyers about my reference to legal language.

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
The castle doctrine was expanded to cover your vehicle, and workplace, any recreational vehicle that could be considered a dwelling, RV boat etc. The way the handgun class instructors teach it is you are good to carry from your home/dwelling to your vehicle and place of employment. So carrying outside of those 3 places would be illegal.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fizteach
posted Hide Post
This was clarified several years ago under the concept of "traveling" with a handgun. The law states that the weapon must be concealed, you must not be gang affiliated, and you must not be engaged in illegal activity. This is true throughout the state, even in Austin.

Get over it!!

Posts: 669 | Location: Campbell, TX | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
Motorist Protection Act. It's 100% State of Texas legal. Only problem is the federal Safe School crapola.

More info at: handgunlaw.us

"Anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry it in a vehicle in Texas. If you do not have a
License Texas Issues or a Permit/License Texas honors the firearm must be concealed and can’t be on your
person. It can be in the Glove Box, Console or hidden from view but not on your person."

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post