SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Carrying a 1911 Commander
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying a 1911 Commander Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
I am thinking of carrying a 1911 Commander length LB instead of my G-19

I currently have a Lou Allessi CQC-S for my G-19 and I am thinking the same setup for a 1911 should work.

What say you that carry or have carried a 1911?

Too heavy to bulky, or should I just stick with the G-19?

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I carried a Commander sized 1911 for many years when I was younger. I still carry my Sig C3 occasionally and it's not as bad as you might think, especially with the alloy frame. The main thing is to get the right holster that distributes the weight properly. The fact that 1911's are so narrow makes concealment easy.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I agree with jimbo54. I've been carrying my commander sized 1911 for a few years now and its very easy given the fact I have a good quality holster and belt.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's subjective. (I'm older) I carry an all stainless 3" 1911 or a 4" stainless/alloy in iwb holsters. To me, I notice no significant difference in weight or comfort. What I think is not an issue, someone else will swear it won't work for them.

I agree with the idea of using the right holster/belt combination. I sometimes wear suspenders as well.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, My favorite OWB for a 1911 of any length is the old Askins Avenger from Bianchi. I don't think it is in production anymore but lots of holster people still make a similar model. IWB is the Milt Sparks Summer Special. I also use a belt slide from International Handgun Leather, available from Dillon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
My Commander (as well as my CCO) is typically carried in either a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 or Versa Max 2. Very doable. As always, a good belt is key along with a good holster and mag pouches. (I use an A&G Gunleather belt and Milt Sparks S4-C magazine pouches, or sometimes a Magholder horizontal magazine carrier).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Kimber Pro CDP has been my edc for several years with my 228, C3 and now a 239 filling in occasion when I want a change. I use two of the same style holsters a MS SSII and a Kramer iwb 3, I like the way they present my weapon and a GOOD belt is key, I use a wilderness 5 stitch or a Tucker. No problem at all carrying my 1911 all day.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I have carried a Colt Combat Commander but frankly, I find it or any 1911 sized pistol too big and heavy to comfortably carry concealed.

A SIG P938 in a pocket holster is my choice for EDC and it's easier on clothing. Dressing around a full sized handgun and lugging it around all day has never been my thing.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My commander is my primary ccw. Any of the many quality holsters and quality belts will address any concerns.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Carry my Wilson Combat Professional in a Kirkpatrick IWB holster. I never really notice it or that it weighs me down.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I'm 5'8, 175 and would rather carry a Commander over a G19. The weight doesn't bother me. I like a slim profile gun.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
If you go that way, cell phone pouches make good mag pouches.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
When I had a Commander length 1911 I seldom carried it. Not because I didn't want to carry it "cocked and locked", but because of the weight of the "all steel" commander. By the end of the day, I always felt like I was "listing to Starboard" due to the weight.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying or carrying one, but just letting you know my experience. I carry a Glock 26, Ruger LC9s, or Ruger LCRx most of the time, unless I'm expecting trouble, then I upgrade to a G19 or M11.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry either a Glock 19 or a DW CCO 1911 .45ACP... in either Milt Sparks OWB or IWB holsters and belts. Prefer the CCO... same weight but thinner and carries better. Can't go wrong with either pistol in a Milt Sparks.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I carried a full size Gov model for awhile. It was heavy, but thin, so you didn't really notice the weight.

I haven't carried it in awhile, I now carry a single stack 9mm. I am usually wearing gym attire, which won't work with a 1911.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I carry a DW CBOB in a Tucker Gun Leather OWB every day. Its heavy all SS, but skinny and easy to hide. I can shoot it, so I carry it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A LW Commander in a Galco Concealable holster is slimmer and more easily concealed than a G19 in the same holster, in part due to the bulge at the back of the G19 where the hammer is supposed to be! In addition, the grip angle is far superior when using a Commander than a Glock, making it easier to draw and re-holster.

The only drawback is the Commander's limited magazine capacity. Seven or eight plus one in the chamber is not as comforting these days as it was in the past. The G19's 16 rounds of +P has its uses, although honestly I'd choose a G23 or G32 for the greater power.

Yooper mentioned the Askins Avenger, a holster I used and was very happy with in my competition days. Galco makes it now, called simply Avenger. I haven't seen any in the flesh, but Galco's quality seems better overall than Bianchi, so I'd grab one if I could.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RexHavoc
posted Hide Post
I carry my Kimber Custom Covert in an Alessi CQC-S with no issues. I'm trying to find something that will fit the Sig C3 properly at present.

Posts: 344 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I like mine, and usually have it as a night stand gun, as well...

Now, its angels on pins time, but what kind of areas are you in? Most of my life, I just carry a J-frame, and about all I might have to worry about is an incident with a lone addict/nut.

Othertimes, I'm in rough environments, where drug dealers openly hang out, etc.

In that area, I want more capacity, as I think if I have an issue, its likely to involve more than 1 or two assailants.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a 4 inch Springfield in .40 until they let us carry . 45's, then it was a Colt Combat Elite and then the new Colt Competition model with a few Kimber and Springfield models here and there. Carried them for many years until retirement. Now my retirement job makes us carry Glocks(still in. 45). I carry my Colts off duty though. I like steel full size guns and prefer the. 45.

I have smaller and lighter guns that I sometimes carry, I just prefer the 1911.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post