SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Rethinking my carry gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rethinking my carry gun Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello!

So over the last couple of years I’ve resumed my study of martial arts. While I’m FAR from being any kind of master, I will say that I’m comfortable with using BJJ and Kali in full contact scenarios (we do full contact drills quite often in both). I’ve learned a great deal about knife fighting, and it’s really taught me a lot about people. I’ve been trained to carry and use a handgun for personal defense too, and I’ve carried and stayed current with my glocks over the years religiously. With this said, knowing what I know about physical conflict - like distances typically encountered, warming signs, etc., plus the relatively safe area I live in (Wyoming), I’ve been thinking about getting away from my semi auto guns and going to a simple snub 38. My main rationale is the simplicity.

So with all that said, I’m curious if anyone else here has made a similar shift?

Thank you,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Revolvers, even light weight snubbies like the Ruger LCR I had, are too bulky, IMO. My little pocket gun, these days, is my Ruger LCP.

That being said, my feeling is one should carry the most firepower one can conveniently, comfortably carry. That training you have is wonderful, but ISTM it'll do you little good in the unlikely event you should find yourself facing an armed threat.

But to each their own.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
These days, I don't see the point in carrying a 5 shot .38 snub revolver, when in the same size package you can carry something like a 9mm P365 and have double the capacity, better trigger, better sights, and significantly faster and higher capacity reloads, plus a better-performing round.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Thank you for the input!

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love revolvers and have a bunch, that said I carry two semi autos. A Glock 17 in a Holster Jim Nelson made for me and a Sig P290 on my ankle. I'm one of Mas Ayoobs senior instructors and was an 11B for 24 years. I've pulled my Sig 229 once and a tiny AMT once (I had to fire)

Scouts Out

Posts: 1118 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an old school revolver guy. My current EDC is a P250. A revolver like semi auto. The snub can be a great choice for EDC provided:
You practice with it enough to know realistically how it will perform for you. This includes reloading it under stress. Like any handgun, it has its pros and cons. With a background in martial arts you already know that to be proficient with your skills, you must practice extensively to the point that your responses become instinctive.
The snub revolver benefits from this type of practice, maybe more so than any other handgun.
When I carry a snub, it is a Ruger SP-101 Wiley Clapp model. Its weight and excellent sights address 2 factors with snub carry: Accuracy and recoil recovery with full power defensive loads.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
These days, I don't see the point in carrying a 5 shot .38 snub revolver, when in the same size package you can carry something like a 9mm P365 and have double the capacity, better trigger, better sights, and significantly faster and higher capacity reloads, plus a better-performing round.

I agree with this as well. 5 rounds for me isn't comforting. If you miss, dont get stopping hits or there are multiple threats you are toast! I realize the typical self defense scenerio is 2-3 feet with and a couple of rounds. But what if it isnt typical.

I carry a 320 carry and 320 sc as back up. If my wife is with and there is time I am able to arm her!!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
dunno, on the semi-auto vs revolver question, I still trust the reliability of the small revolver compared to small semi autos.

in my decades of shooting, I always found small autos to be at the bottom of the curve when it comes to reliability.

I trust the new generation of proven full size autos, but not the small autos. I've even had trouble with newer small autos like the P238, etc.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Colt Cobra (2017) with 125 grain +P HP and either one or two Bianchi speed strips. The Cobra carry's six rounds and handles the +p ammo like a champ. Am I prepared for any reasonable threat? I think so. Am I crazy for packing only a six shot handgun? Could be however, so far in my sixty years I have yet to draw a handgun in self defense including my career in the Marines.

I also have a Colt Commander Lightweight and just picked up a Colt Defender, either of which I can carry so there are options of a heavier bullet more rounds and a faster reload.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Carry whatever makes you feel equipped to handle the threat, you won't hear anything from me useless you can't use what you carry.

I carried a j frame and later an RCR as that is all I could conceal in a very non permissive environment.

If I lived in a cold climate I would still carry a shrouded hammer snubbie in my coat pocket.

Anymore it's mainly an LC9s daily and a G17 or BHP on the weekends or if I am going somewhere that I can conceal them.

When I carried a small framed revolver I practiced with it as much as i did with my full sized pistols....that's one of the reasons I switched to a compact 9mm...cost of ammo

Also they are, in most ways, easier to conceal.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like revolvers. My first handguns were revolvers and I still carry them, though not as much as I used to. If I carry a revolver, it's usually a S&W 642 with +p gold dots.

The chief reasons I moved from revolvers was the extra cleaning with five or six cylinders, the bulk of speed loaders, or the bianchi speed strips floating in a pocket, or the dump pouch, loading 2X2, compared to more capacity, ease of use, less contamination, simplicity of self-contained magazines that protect rounds and are easier and faster to reload, etc.

When you do carry, you have to balance any potential grappling you might do against the risk of your handgun getting taken, lost, or injuring you as you roll over it, regardless of what you're carrying. If you're in a mauling situation, then you may be in danger of losing that weapon, which means that you may be far less inclined to rely on your hand to hand skills out of necessity of protecting your weapon. With that being the case, how many people ever got in a gunfight and later opined that they wished they'd had less ammunition, a smaller pistol, less grip, and a weaker cartridge? I'm guessing not many.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
If going to a small revolver, it is hard to beat the LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. Six shooter. Two speed strips gives me 18 rounds total.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
If going to a small revolver, it is hard to beat the LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. Six shooter. Two speed strips gives me 18 rounds total.

You may be onto something there. especially if you have a reloading set, and get a set of .32 dies (dice?).

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I agree and completely understand.... And I am with ya on 5 shot 38.... Until the day your broke down by the road and 3 or 4 stop to take advantage of the situation... To each his own but we just never know what to expect so plan a little bigger.... Just in case...

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
On occasion I carry my Colt Night Cobra loaded with Federal 130 gr.HST micro. Six rounds beats five anytime. I usually carry, and prefer, my HK45C though.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Normally when I carry during the day it’s a double stack 9 or 40 with two extra mags. However, in the morning when I ride my bicycle (around 0345-0415 hrs) around the area, I carry a .38 LCR loaded with 2 rounds of snake shot and 3 rounds of JHP, and I feel well-armed. The snake shot cartridges are positioned to be the next rounds fired.

At that time of the morning, in my particular area, I almost never encounter anyone else on foot or on 2 wheels. The occasional power walker or homeless person is rare. I’m more concerned about encountering a rattlesnake or aggressive javelina, bobcat, or coyote.

I like the LCR because a little sweat isn’t going to hurt it, and the super light weight is unnoticeable in my Cross Breed belly band. I’ve been very happy with the Cross Breed belly band, too; it keeps the LCR securely in place so I don’t have to worry about it dropping over bumps or rough terrain.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I carried a 642 for years. One day I thought I was about to be In the middle of a gun store robbery with 3 guys, one that was carrying an sks. All of the sudden 5 shots didn't seem like much.

Still carry a kahr pm9 mostly. It's 7 shots and quick reload. Carry a g43x a good bit now. May upgrade to a gen 5 g19. Carried a g19 a good bit. There is still nothing that compares to size/capacity/weight. HK p2000 is pretty close and gets carried more when AIWB.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The gun you have is better than no gun.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The gun you have is better than no gun.

Truer words have not been spoken. That being said I've been carrying a J frame for about five years because I never have to dress around it. Lately however, I've been thinking about the limitations of the revolver. With the J frame it's capacity, and the lack of being able to quickly top off a partially empty gun. I decided to start carrying my G26 for both these reasons, althoug the J frams still sees limited use depending on how I'm dressed and where I'm going.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of carrying a large high capacity handgun, but for my lifestyle and dress it's just not practical or needed. For me it's a j frame mostly or Ruger lcp when I really need a tiny gun. I really like the simplicity of a revolver.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post