SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Rethinking my carry gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rethinking my carry gun Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
I like your front sight upgrade. XS?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I don’t feel like I’m unprepared or unprotected with my wheelgun. My first goal is to have a firearm. If I knew I’d be going into battle I’d want a rifle. But since I have no crystal ball I’ll settle for one of my EDC guns. The one I carry mostly these days is a 3” kimber 357.

If I knew I would be faced with a John wick scenario and need 12-20 rounds of whatever I’d prefer a G45.

Should I encounter a covey of thugs I will not be disappointed to only have my 6 shooter. I’ll go down with a fight they will never forget. I’m proficient, and accurate with the wheelgun. I need to practice fast reloads and will do so this year.

I used to worry about not having the right kit on me. Two 17 round mags and a G17, or a 229 and two extra .357 mags.

Carry a gun, whatever you shoot well, and. Whatever you are comfortable with. I don’t live in Chicago so my kit may not suit everyone.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1970:
Hello!

So over the last couple of years I’ve resumed my study of martial arts. While I’m FAR from being any kind of master, I will say that I’m comfortable with using BJJ and Kali in full contact scenarios (we do full contact drills quite often in both). I’ve learned a great deal about knife fighting, and it’s really taught me a lot about people. I’ve been trained to carry and use a handgun for personal defense too, and I’ve carried and stayed current with my glocks over the years religiously. With this said, knowing what I know about physical conflict - like distances typically encountered, warming signs, etc., plus the relatively safe area I live in (Wyoming), I’ve been thinking about getting away from my semi auto guns and going to a simple snub 38. My main rationale is the simplicity.

So with all that said, I’m curious if anyone else here has made a similar shift?

Thank you,

Jim

I too train in martial arts. I practice Wing Tsun which is a pretty close cousin to Kali. Really want to learn that some day. I have indeed made a shift but it is different than yours. My strategy is to completely eliminate a threat once it is engaged. To do this best, I am moving my carry position to appendix. We will see how that goes but turning my body away from an opponent at close range is less than ideal. better engage forward with eyes on threat. I'm also trying to shoot quicker patterns. Three shot Mozambique pattern with a vertical spread rather than treating torso and head as two different targets. I've altered my P220 with a gray guns trigger to allow faster shooting and easier transitions from da to sa. Also loading .45 down with 185 grain at 1050 fps to reduce recoil and improve speed. if this is not enough, i will port the pistol. I think I can train up to a good level of skill without having to do the porting. Anyway, I think we are thinking along some of the same lines. Peace.

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carrying a revolver is equivalent to driving a model T today...

P226 x 4
P365

Posts: 3 | Location: New Concord, Ohio | Registered: March 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) How rural is your area? When I’m at the farm, I’m far more likely to shoot a critter, than anything else. (I suspect most of us are, really.)

B) I like a J frame, loaded with wad cutters - again, much of this is for use on critters, but I’m more concerned about penetration, and shoot ability - I also have hand/spinal issues.

A j frame conceals very well, and doesn’t look like much in a pocket. My Rohrbaugh is also frequently carried in my pocket.

(I also carry single-actions, on occasion, an I’m comfortable with them, and they are less likely to break.)

Posts: 5723 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Much better choices out there. The five shot is only a step above not having a gun at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jljones,

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
B) I like a J frame, loaded with wad cutters - again, much of this is for use on critters, but I’m more concerned about penetration, and shoot ability - I also have hand/spinal issues.

If you have hand issues, is a J-frame with a 12ish pound DA trigger pull really the best option?

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

If you have hand issues, is a J-frame with a 12ish pound DA trigger pull really the best option?

I have muscular strength, stamina and dexterity issues in both hands. It is difficult for me to load 10 round G26 magazines, and the grip and rip slide slingshot technique sometimes gives me trouble. A 12 pound DA revolver trigger is stout, but unless I'm trying to train to the tune of 300+ rounds it's entirely manageable.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The good news is that there's a new generation of semiauto handguns that are designed specifically for people with physical limitations that affect strength/dexterity, like the S&W Shield EZ or Walther CCP.

They are designed to incorporate features like easy to rack slides, reduced felt recoil, and magazine followers with thumb assist buttons, to make them easier to load, rack, and shoot despite physical limitations.

And you get the significant benefits of a lighter trigger pull, better sights, higher capacity, and faster/easier reloads, compared to something like a J-frame revolver.

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
As far as simplicity, there’s nothing much more simple than a Glock 43. Couple more rounds and a quicker reload than a revolver. With the way this world is nowadays I prefer to carry something with a few more rounds, maybe I’m just being paranoid.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My carry choice depends on current events. If things are calm in my area glock 43 , 33, 43x. If angry mobs are in the news, glock 19. I live in a wealthy south Florida city but it is possible for the troublemakers to get in to their cars , drive here and start shit. I carry an extra mag on me and extended mags in the car. Though I do not expect any trouble here just being cautious.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm old in my seventh decade. With that said I have the option of a S&W M640-38Spl 5Rd or a Shield 9X19mm 8+1 capacity. I'm opting for the capacity of the Shield. There is a concept that one should have a minimum of at least (10) Rd capacity with a carry weapon. There are days when I carry both but not that often.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’m sure others have different experiences. For me, the 380 ez felt like someone set fire to my arm after 30 rounds.

Browning 1911 380 was comfortable, but a bit too small. I had issues releasing the grip safety, if I shot it left handed. It is fine right handed.

But I can shoot a 625, most days, without issue, if I find the right set of stocks.

I think, with nerve damage/hand damage, it becomes a matter of how certain loads/guns fit.

My FN 57 is hard to tolerate, and it has almost no recoil.

Posts: 5723 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post