SIGforum
Stongside horizontal mags?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/7570055924

August 28, 2017, 06:40 AM
MNSIG
Stongside horizontal mags?
Having carried spare magazines weak side and vertical my whole life, the idea seemed a bit weird at first. I decided to try it at the range the other day and actually found it to work pretty well. I can't say that I've given it enough time or analysis to have a strong opinion, but wondering what others have found.

Is there a darn good reason most of us carry weak side vertical, or is it just because we've always done it that way?
August 28, 2017, 06:57 AM
WARPIG602
Only way I carry. I still carry weak side as its a matter of habit and my hand naturally goes there to search for reloads. I dont see any real advantage going strong side, not enough to try and undo 20+ years of habit. I also tend to caryr my spares farely far forward, almost appendix.

Tried it about 2 years ago and havent looked back. Not a lot a of good options out here last time I checked but I saw Stealthgear has a new stretchy sleeve that Im going to try. I forget who made the carriers I have but they were on the pricey side.

August 28, 2017, 11:06 AM
TheFrontRange
I've been using horizontal magazine carriers from Magholder for a few years now. I typically carry mine weak-side, but don't see why one couldn't be carried strong-side if one desired.

https://www.magholder.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
October 12, 2017, 10:59 PM
usp_fan
I can second the Magholder. I have had a very good experience with mine. I wear it at 11 o'clock, bullets forward and up.
October 13, 2017, 12:36 AM
Chowser
I've been carrying strongside horizontal on my duty belt for twenty years. Off duty I carry one spare mag strongside horizontal using a Safariland velcro holder.

To be honest, I also carry two mags vertically on my off side (I carry four spare mags on my duty belt)

Not minority enough!
October 17, 2017, 05:04 PM
Cous2492
I carry horizontal strong side on my duty belt and really like it. I carry vertical, weak side to court and at IDPA. Off duty CC, I typically carry a spare mag in the watch pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing. I do a lot of practice from all three positions and find them all acceptable. Do whatever you like, the important thing is having the spare magazine(s).
October 23, 2017, 11:40 AM
Phelen_Kell
Check out dale fricke holsters
November 21, 2017, 04:16 PM
SigM4
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
I've been using horizontal magazine carriers from Magholder for a few years now. I typically carry mine weak-side, but don't see why one couldn't be carried strong-side if one desired.

https://www.magholder.com

I've got one of these and have been wearing it at about 12:30-1:00, really like it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
November 21, 2017, 04:31 PM
az4783054
I carried horizontal strong side on duty for years. Almost had to since my duty belt was filled up with gear everywhere else. Once retired I went to weak side vertical. I'd like to go back to horizontal but don't really care for the polymer offerings.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
November 21, 2017, 05:44 PM
RHINOWSO
"weak" side at about 11:30 in a Dale Fricke horizontal.
November 22, 2017, 05:30 PM
AZSigs
Carrying a strong side magazine holster ensures you have to reeeeaaachh around to get your mag with support hand while your strong hand is holding/aiming the gun. To use the strong hand to get your magazine means shifting your weapon to the support hand. Not sure why you would want to.

Carrying them support side horizontally seems OK as long as that's how you practice making speed loads or tactical reloads.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
November 24, 2017, 06:59 AM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Carrying a strong side magazine holster ensures you have to reeeeaaachh around to get your mag with support hand while your strong hand is holding/aiming the gun. To use the strong hand to get your magazine means shifting your weapon to the support hand. Not sure why you would want to.

Not really. They are typically worn between the belt buckle and the holster. 1-2 o'clock. There is actually less arm movement required than weak side vertical. No weapon shifting involved.
November 24, 2017, 09:49 AM
AZSigs
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:

Not really. They are typically worn between the belt buckle and the holster. 1-2 o'clock. There is actually less arm movement required than weak side vertical. No weapon shifting involved.

Yeah, I guess I could see that as viable.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor