SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Stongside horizontal mags?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stongside horizontal mags? Login/Join 
posted
Having carried spare magazines weak side and vertical my whole life, the idea seemed a bit weird at first. I decided to try it at the range the other day and actually found it to work pretty well. I can't say that I've given it enough time or analysis to have a strong opinion, but wondering what others have found.

Is there a darn good reason most of us carry weak side vertical, or is it just because we've always done it that way?

Posts: 6564 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only way I carry. I still carry weak side as its a matter of habit and my hand naturally goes there to search for reloads. I dont see any real advantage going strong side, not enough to try and undo 20+ years of habit. I also tend to caryr my spares farely far forward, almost appendix.

Tried it about 2 years ago and havent looked back. Not a lot a of good options out here last time I checked but I saw Stealthgear has a new stretchy sleeve that Im going to try. I forget who made the carriers I have but they were on the pricey side.

Posts: 6625 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I've been using horizontal magazine carriers from Magholder for a few years now. I typically carry mine weak-side, but don't see why one couldn't be carried strong-side if one desired.

https://www.magholder.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 5336 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
I can second the Magholder. I have had a very good experience with mine. I wear it at 11 o'clock, bullets forward and up.

Posts: 2320 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying strongside horizontal on my duty belt for twenty years. Off duty I carry one spare mag strongside horizontal using a Safariland velcro holder.

To be honest, I also carry two mags vertically on my off side (I carry four spare mags on my duty belt)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 5150 | Location: South of Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry horizontal strong side on my duty belt and really like it. I carry vertical, weak side to court and at IDPA. Off duty CC, I typically carry a spare mag in the watch pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing. I do a lot of practice from all three positions and find them all acceptable. Do whatever you like, the important thing is having the spare magazine(s).

Posts: 160 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out dale fricke holsters

Posts: 1021 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
I've been using horizontal magazine carriers from Magholder for a few years now. I typically carry mine weak-side, but don't see why one couldn't be carried strong-side if one desired.

https://www.magholder.com

I've got one of these and have been wearing it at about 12:30-1:00, really like it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3899 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I carried horizontal strong side on duty for years. Almost had to since my duty belt was filled up with gear everywhere else. Once retired I went to weak side vertical. I'd like to go back to horizontal but don't really care for the polymer offerings.

It never ceases to amaze me where naive people think they're safe from harm.

Posts: 7772 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
"weak" side at about 11:30 in a Dale Fricke horizontal.

Posts: 36211 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post