SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Is it best under duress to have one action type?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it best under duress to have one action type? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
If most of your edc are pull trigger to fire while one is release safety then pull trigger, would you recommend trading or selling the single action only?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
If most of your edc are pull trigger to fire while one is release safety then pull trigger, would you recommend trading or selling the single action only?

Your life is at risk in traffic with one second response times every day.

Do you safely operate different kinds of vehicles on public roadways?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

Your life is at risk in traffic with one second response times every day.

Do you safely operate different kinds of vehicles on public roadways?

Yep. But I learned on, and drove stick for 10+ years. After driving a stick for even a short time, my left leg still tries to stomp the clutch in an automatic.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Never change your carry weapon or holster without a fair amount of practice with the change. That split second of fumbling, muscle memory will kill you.. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, in my opinion, it's best to stick to one type for serious purposes.

After similar deliberation a few years ago, I sold and traded off all my DA/SA handguns and standardized on striker-fired handguns for defensive purposes.

All my primary defensive rifles are ARs with the same manual of arms too.

(I have tons of other types of guns as range toys, though.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I liked my H&K P7. I mean, I really, really liked it. I was (and still am) convinced that it is a great design, a very safe carry pistol, in terms of avoiding NDs, and very accurate.

Problem was, when I tried to shoot fast at the range, SIG P2xx habits and P7 habits did not play well together.

I had a SIG P228 and a P239, both of them DA / SA. The P7 was different enough that I really had to slow down and think about which pistol I was shooting.

I concluded that I am not good enough to switch seamlessly between two types of pistols that are so different. I reluctantly sold the P7 to a member here (I hope that you like it as much as I did!) and replaced it with a P245, so now all of my semi-auto pistols work the same way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah. My duty weapon is a Glock. I get the most trigger time with it so my off duty guns are usually Glocks.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some people claim that they never have any problem switching among various types; if that’s true then that’s obviously not something to worry about.

I have seen, however, fumbling due to that sort of thing, so it obviously is not true of everyone. Whether it’s true of you, only you can determine.

I personally switch between DAK pistols and the P320 and have encountered no problems. I suspect, however, that that’s at least partly due to the fact that both require nothing more than pulling the trigger to fire and holstering when finished. Some years ago when I was testing some techniques and using a DA/SA SIG, I once forgot to decock before holstering: not a good thing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
That you, and probably everyone else who ever drove a stick, regularly, tries to stomp the clutch, is f your answer.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
F shouldn't be there. Large fingers small phone

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
F shouldn't be there. Large fingers small phone

Good point. Smile

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
commonality in platform, IMO is a big deal.

It's why I went all striker fired, and all gen 4 glocks. Same general 'feel', same trigger pull, same operation. I also changed all the sights to the same type on all 3 once I found a set that worked. That way no matter which one I have on me or which one I grab in the middle of the night, it's all the same.

Except the J frame. But that's a bit of a different story and to sigfreund's point, it's point-and-pull just like a no-safety striker gun.

I'm sure with enough training you could master them all, but why complicate it.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
commonality in platform, IMO is a big deal.

It is to me too. I'm a very simple minded, habit orientated person.

I've practiced with Sigs the most, and that's what I carry. I have a Kahr K9, that I enjoy shooting, and I shoot it well. When I take it to the range, I'll catch myself short stroking the second shot several times. I'm used to the Sig reset. If I do that at the range in a controlled, calm situation, would I do it in a real life situation.

If I wanted to carry the Kahr, I'd have to put the Sigs away, and practice more with the Kahr.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Most handguns today are point and click interfaces. For me it really doesn't matter if's a legacy P226, G23, or a S&W 340PD. In the end they are all point and click. Now a 1911 or something else witn a manual safety is a different matter.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
All of my pistols are SAO:
X5 Comp
P238
Beretta 87 Target .22LR

I think that a common MOA is a good plan.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
It may go beyond just the type of trigger pull in some cases.

I usually shoot P-series guns, but once a year I work the GSSF match in town, and I borrow my father-in-law's G19 so I can shoot the match. One thing I found is that because of where I habitually position my middle finger on a reload, I was blocking the movement of the mag release on the off-side of the G19. That effectively kept me from releasing the mag until I realized what was going on. In a GSSF match, it doesn't matter a bit. But I'd have to seriously retrain myself if I ever thought about carrying a Glock.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If your gun goes click, you likely have a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Most handguns today are point and click interfaces. For me it really doesn't matter if's a legacy P226, G23, or a S&W 340PD. In the end they are all point and click. Now a 1911 or something else witn a manual safety is a different matter.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:

Point and pull the trigger is only half the drill.

If you try to decock your Glock before holstering it, no big deal.

Forget to decock your Sig, and you could cause yourself some pain.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:

The point I'm making is people tend to take this to extremes. The internet is full of people who assure you that you'll end up dead in a pool of blood if you don't carry an identical trigger to the one that's under the bed. When I carried a legacy Sig I also had one under the bed. When I switched to Glock I did the same thing. I occasionally carry a 1911 and I don't feel I'm in danger of forgetting about the safety because I thumb swipe every auto I use due to muscle memory. Old habits are hard to break, but if you train the right way it's not the issue it's made out to be.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the failure mode be about the same? Neither can fire unless the trigger is pulled. Both will fire with about the same trigger pull (withing a lb or two.)

quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post