SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    EDC Show & Tell ? ? ? How would you handle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDC Show & Tell ? ? ? How would you handle? Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be rude in that instance but I would with a command presence tell him "STOP!" If you pull that gun I am going to pull my gun and that's not going to be good for you. I would also be moving away from him and to cover.

I have no idea what is running through his head when he reaches for his gun. But I do know he is going to be challenged by me.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulicords;
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough response.
And thank you for reminding me of the responsibilities that accompany our rights.
You've given me a lot to think about.
I will carefully consider your advice.

-DukeMinski

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

on property one owns or controls one can carry open or concealed, no permit needed. Not so sure about in the rented hangar at the county airport. Might be legal, but lots of folks would probably have kittens if one open carried there.
Rented hangar? Here in Florida if I rent some property be it business or residential, I probably have a lease or written rental agreement of some sort that establishes the fact that I have control over the property, so open carry is fine. Maybe not smart in some circumstances, but perfectly legal.

As far as the hangar goes, I have rented the same hangar for eleven years now, I almost always carry on body, and if my outer shirt (or sweatshirt in winter) comes off, I am open carrying. I have to remember to put on a jacket or cover shirt if I step outside the hangar onto the taxiway.

As far as other people at the airport having kittens, I can't think of anybody I know at the airport who does not carry, or if they don't carry, at least they are firearm owners. Florida, you know. That's how we roll.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
Pulicords;
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough response.
And thank you for reminding me of the responsibilities that accompany our rights.
You've given me a lot to think about.
I will carefully consider your advice.

-DukeMinski

You're very welcome! I appreciate your taking the time to respond!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I have always been against carrying open, but have had a hard time putting together all the reasons why. I couldn't put it together in my own mind what alone express it to others. What pulicords said, hit the nail right on the head for me! So, pulicords I too thank you very much for your thoughtful and thorough response.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Pulicords - well said! While my job requires me to be in full uniform and carry a firearm; your experience is spot on with the increased exposure (positive and negative) of open carry. While on the job, we must maintain composure and deal with the public in an unthreatening way. When off-duty, you must be vigilant that those whom you've encountered in uniform, might seek revenge for what you stand for. If you conceal carry, they'll have indecisive thoughts. If you open carry, they can plan their assault.

When off duty, I carry everywhere concealed. I carry at the gym, at the grocery store, at the gas station! I've had a person on a motorcycle park near my vehicle at a drug store. He approached me and said "Hey, I know you! You are the guard at ......"! That was a "pucker factor" moment for me, but I was CCing and knew I was able to defend myself if needed.

For the OP, that situation would have made the hair on the back of my neck rise as soon as the person reached for his pistol. I suppose it depends on your training and experiences!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post