SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    California non-resident, Traveling to/in state
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California non-resident, Traveling to/in state Login/Join 
Picture of chinaclipper
posted
Spending some time in California, I have looked at the web site for States' concealed carry, and plan on traveling with the firearm locked in a hardshell case in the vehicle, unloaded and with unloaded mags. Firearm will be kept loaded and ready at vacation residence only, I will NOT be attempting ANY concealed carry traveling. Does this sound feasible?

Posts: 195 | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consulted calguns website about that very thing. The answer I received was that you could even leave the mags loaded while locked in the hardside case (but magazine must not be in the gun). The hitch is that ALL magazines you possess need to be of a capacity of 10 round or less. May be prudent to verify as this was a bit over a year ago.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loaded magazines NOT inserted in the firearm may be locked in the same container.

Make sure all magazines are 10 rounds or less.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chinaclipper
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

Posts: 195 | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The locked trunk of your car is also considered a "locked case", so you can even transport the gun in a gun rug or range bag inside the trunk.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I used to do Phoenix to Fresno a good bit. Twice a month or so. Had kids on board each trip. I kept a loaded semi-auto in either the trunk when traveling in the 'open' spaces - or in the glove box/console anytime we stopped or were in a built up area. Everyone on board knew it was there.

As we would approach the bridge over the Colorado River on I-10 going to California, about 1/3 of a mile out, I would begin chanting, "Citizen. Citizen. Citizen..." and as soon as we got halfway across the bridge, I would chant, "Felon. Felon. Felon." The best part was on the return trip..."Felon, Felon, Felon...Citizen!"

The kids got a kick out of it. They knew we had firearms, shot them, enjoyed them - and we lived a good life. Them learning that ONE change could make them a criminal because of politicians that hoped to enslave them was priceless.

I don't care what their laws are. I don't carry or not carry to please them and their edicts. I carry to protect myself, my family, and those that aren't able to protect themselves. They will have to kill me to stop me from doing so.

Don't go there anymore and do as little business with companies from there as possible.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Surprisingly, its actually not a felony to carry a loaded handgun in a car in CA without a CCW.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Surprisingly, its actually not a felony to carry a loaded handgun in a car in CA without a CCW.

Misdemeanor? Still a high cost if you want to keep your record clean.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post