SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Holsters for CCW (Revolver)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holsters for CCW (Revolver) Login/Join 
posted
What type of holsters would you suggest for a revolver (Ruger SP101, S&W 640, or S&W 642?

I am looking for IWB and pocket carry.

Thanks.

Posts: 1663 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I have two leather holsters that work very well for the revolvers I sometimes carry.

Side Guard Hammar - IWB I use for a 642.

http://sideguardholsters.com/holsters/Hammar.htm

Silver Dollar Pancake - convertible IWB - OWB for a SP101 3".

https://www.simplyrugged.com/e...em_id=152&parent=669

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I EDC a 642-1 in a Side Guard Holsters Quick Clip IWB holster. It's served me well for pretty much daily carry for the last 6 years or so and still works well. Very reasonably priced, too. I believe they're still $55, but can take a while to receive...I think the wait is about 12 weeks.

A little tip on IWB carry with revolvers. Based on my experience, I would look for a holster that carries the cylinder about even with the belt, or slightly below. It may seem counterintuitive that having the bulkiest part of the gun between you and your belt is the most comfortable position, but I've found this to be the most stable arrangement without restricting your ability to get a good grip on the gun. My Quick Clip holster does that.

If you want a holster with a single clip/loop, look for one with an offset clip/loop...it reduces the profile of the holster and helps pull the butt of the gun into your side, both of which helps with concealment.

For pocket carry, I use a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It's a little bulkier than I'd like, but it works well for the rare occasion I pocket carry.

Mika pocket holsters come highly recommended. The only reason I haven't ordered one is because I rarely pocket carry and the Nemesis meets my needs when I do.

I don't know how anyone other than Paul Bunyan could pocket carry a SP101.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Henryarnaud brings up an important point for the IWB holster. When Side Guard made my Hammar model they assembled it to locate the top of the cylinder a small bit (turned out to be approx. 1/4 ") below the top of the belt. It works perfectly for me. It requires two hands to reholster.

I had a IWB leather holster made by a fellow KY resident. The cylinder edge was just above the belt, maybe 1/8" to 1/4". Moving around would sometimes cause the unit to ride up out of the holster. I placed it on consignment to sell with the maker. He added a retention strap and sold it to a fellow that carries a model 60 with hammer.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Quick Clip IWB holster has a reinforced mouth so it doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. It makes practicing easier, but it adds a little bulk. Some people prefer a thinner, unreinforced holster mouth. For my own use, I won't use an IWB holster that requires two-handed reholstering or removal to reholster. That's just me, though. Something else to keep in mind when holster shopping.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ive been using Uncle Mikes pouch for S+W 642 frt pocket carry for a long time . Its the one way to carry i keep going back too

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bianchi Model 5 Black Widow for OWB for my SP-101. Bianchi 3S Pistol Pocket for IWB.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I like the Lobo Gun Leather Offset Clip IWB or the Side Guard Minimal Clip for small revolvers.

For pocket carry, I've used a lot of holsters, but my favorite is still the Mika pocket holster. It just works.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for my 642 frt pocket carry i like Uncle Mikes pouch. Bought a couple of them 20 years ago I still like them Edit I shitcaned the Uncle Mikes I am using "sticky holster now Works great in the pocket OR IWB They stay put

This message has been edited. Last edited by: daveinbucksco,

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
It's more than a little odd that I don't have a post in this thread, but I'm getting notifications so I'll play. When I pocket carry either a J frame or my G26 I use a front pocket holster from Bear Creek Holsters.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
How long of a barrel? If someone would make them again, Hoffner's made a great IWB holster for a 3"+ barrel gun. (The barrel was IWB, but the cylinder stuck up, out of the belt.)

I usually carry OWB, these days. I got a nifty holster from MecTec, but haven't gotten to use it. - The S&W I ordered it for, had a timing issue, from the factory, and is back with them.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post