SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    FL renewal couldn't be easier
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FL renewal couldn't be easier Login/Join 
Picture of rmc85
posted
I had to renew cause my license expired today. Made my appointment at my tax collectors office yesterday in case I ran into problems and had to show up today. I've never renewed by anything other than mail and my tax collector has only been doing this for about 5 months so I figured they might be working kinks out still.

I walked in at my appt time, guy verified my info was still the same, handed him a check, and he printed me out my new license. It took a total of 5 minuets. I think it's safe to say I'll always go back there for renewals now.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of retpd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmc85:
I had to renew cause my license expired today. Made my appointment at my tax collectors office yesterday in case I ran into problems and had to show up today. I've never renewed by anything other than mail and my tax collector has only been doing this for about 5 months so I figured they might be working kinks out still.

I walked in at my appt time, guy verified my info was still the same, handed him a check, and he printed me out my new license. It took a total of 5 minuets. I think it's safe to say I'll always go back there for renewals now.

Good to know, thanks. Just renewed mine last year but did via mail.

Posts: 398 | Location: Orlando | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
In SC, we can renew online, as long as all personal info (name, address, phone no. etc.) is the same.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
FL can be done online as well. My point is I didn't have to fill anything out or wait on it being mailed to me.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of y-not
posted Hide Post
I keep telling my students that foe firs time applications as well as renewals, it just makes it much easier.

“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

Posts: 642 | Location: Pinellas Park, Fl | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
It's a little more difficult to renew a Florida Permit if you are a non-resident of Florida.
I must fill out a new application, send in a new photo, send in a new fingerprint card, as well as pay fees of approximately $87.00.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ero:
It's a little more difficult to renew a Florida Permit if you are a non-resident of Florida.
I must fill out a new application, send in a new photo, send in a new fingerprint card, as well as pay fees of approximately $87.00.

Dan

just curious, if you renewed in FL would it be as easy as the OP's experience?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
quote:

Dan

just curious, if you renewed in FL would it be as easy as the OP's experience?

I believe it would be. At my tax collectors office they do it all in one room even for new licenses. They have a computer people do the application at, they have a camera set up, and they have a electronic fingerprint scanner.

The only difference would be an extra $12 that the Dept of ag allows the tax collector to charge as a convenience fee. So rather than paying the $45 (resident) for renewal I had to pay $57 total, but I didn't have to fill anything out, figure out the passport photo, wait on the mail, or wait on it being processed.

Picture of cmcinc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dan

Yep, just got my renewal packet in the mail.

GeorgiaCarry.org - Life Member

Posts: 143 | Location: Cumming, GA | Registered: September 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if you non residents have tried renewing other than by mail? The options are mail, online, local tax collecter in FL, or regional office in FL.

We know it can be done by mail. The Dept of ag says non residents can do it at one of our participating local tax collectors, but the license will be mailed to you. The Dept of ag isn't clear about regional offices or online apps for non residents.

I mean they mail out the application to everyone prior to expiration, but if it were me I'd rather do it online if I lived out of state. No chance of it getting lost or delayed if you can do it online.

Anyone know?

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm wondering if you non residents have tried renewing other than by mail? The options are mail, online, local tax collecter in FL, or regional office in FL.

{snip}

I'd rather do it online if I lived out of state. No chance of it getting lost or delayed if you can do it online.

Anyone know?

Going through renewal now, and I'm out of state. Renewal is done on-line, but we still have to mail the original fingerprint card. I'm fine with that.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
{snip}
I'd rather do it online if I lived out of state. No chance of it getting lost or delayed if you can do it online.
Anyone know?

Going through renewal now, and I'm out of state. Renewal is done on-line, but we still have to mail the original fingerprint card. I'm fine with that.

One of the dumber requirements that AZ did away with.
For years we had to send in a print card, now I guess the lightbulb flickered enough to know that changing your fingerprints isn't a "real deal".
I get a notification in the mail, send in a check...done for another 5 years.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm out of state. I did my application on-line and mailed the fingerprint card per the instructions on January 27th.

Status as of today: Started processing on March 6th. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks from this date.

Soooo, it seems things are not as fast as they once were there for out of state. Oh well, I've got plenty of time since I'm not going to need it for several more months.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I was in Florida several years ago prior to my non-resident permit expiring. I called the proper office, told them I was in Florida and could I renew? The very rude lady told me I could do nothing without the paperwork. I told her I had been notified it was at my home. She once again told me I could do nothing. Maybe if I had gotten someone else on the phone it could have been handled.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Got my FL License today. Here are some specifics:

- Did my application on-line, and mailed the fingerprint card per the instructions on January 27th.

- Permit received in the mail on April 8th. So, 10 weeks total from the time I applied, until I received the license. This is in-line with their published information. No complaints.

- The on-line "check your status" tool is 100% useless. I now have my permit, and the status tool shows no information. Useless.

- Although this permit is expensive when the cost of fingerprinting is considered, I still prefer keeping (renewing) this permit as opposed to getting the Utah Permit (which is also popular in my state), since for me they hold the same value in terms of reciprocity. Part of my reasoning is just that I've had a FL permit forever. Like over 20 years, and I just keep renewing it.

-Conclusion: 2 thumbs up for Florida. Just give yourself at least 10 weeks before your license expires.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Florida is a VERY Friendly 2nd Amendment State.
1) To be a resident in Florida, you must spend > 6 months in the State, have Primary Care doc, Dentist , etc
2) If you have a 2nd home in Florida, have a Florida CCW--you are recognized as a Resident.
Quick check of the Tax records online by the Gun store confirms residency requirements. Then a $5 background check.

Big Fan of Florida CCW. Smile

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

You didn't say where you are in Florida, but if there is a Secretary of Agriculture anywhere near you, you would save a couple of bucks by going there instead of the Tax Collector's office.

Concealed Weapons Permits are issued by the Secretary of Agriculture. County Tax Collector offices can act as agents for the State Department of Agriculture, but they tack on an extra fee for doing so.

At the time of my original permit, the Secretary of Agriculture was Charles Bronson. I have his autograph on my original permit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the time of my original permit, the Secretary of Agriculture was At the time of my original permit, the Secretary of Agriculture was Charles Bronson

Wait, I assume it's not that Charles Bronson.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!