SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Belts for carry
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belts for carry Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
I wear Wilderness 3 Stitch belts every day. I have black, coyote and green. Best everyday gun belt around.

I also have a Armour nylon cobra buckle belt. I rally like it, it supports my gear well but it is tedious to put on an off. Not a fault of the maker, just the way this style belt is.

I also own an Aker dress leather belt, stiff as all heck and a custom elephant hide one from BRL that is gorgeous.

I agree here. I wear a Wilderness Frequent Flyer model with the stiffener added. Does fine holding up my G19 and also does not set off airport metal detectors.

NRA Endowment Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1402 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Very expensive, but the absolute best belts I've bought for concealed carry, for everything from casual and business wear, are Kramer Leather double thick horsehide belts. I have a black one, and a Cordovan one, and wear the black one almost every day. I've had it over a decade and it's still going strong.

My only gripe with those belts is they don't offer 7 holes spaced at 3/4" intervals like the ones offered by The Beltman. Mine get used (some might say abused), and when they start to look just a little rough I hit them with a little leather dye and they look like new.

For a less expensive, and "almost as good" option, get one from The Beltman, and get the 7 hole version. I have one of those, and it's a good belt too.

If you're simply looking for something that will always be used with an un-tucked shirt as a cover garment, then save a bunch of money and get a "5 stitch" Original Instructor belt from Wilderness Tactical. The inexpensive, and "almost as good" option in that style, is the Uncle Mike's reinforced Instructor's Belt.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 11453 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
My first choice: https://www.thebeltman.net/

^^^^^This! You will not be disappointed.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 2606 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
Jerry "thebeltman.com" did retire several years ago, however his nephew (who apprenticed under jerry) Mike now runs the business under the name Armour Belts.

You're conflating Jim Speidel, The Beltman, with Jerry Bissell. Jim "The Beltman" Speidel did indeed retire, but, he sold the business to David and Rachel Giles. It continues under the name "The Beltman."

Jerry Bissell also retired, and it was his business that was assumed by Armour Belts.

As to the specific belts mentioned by the OP: Personally, I'd order from either The Beltman or Armour Belts, if I was going with leather.

Stiffeners? A well-made leather gunbelt doesn't need the stiffener, IMO. I have a 1-1/2" Beltman belt, made by Jim. Upon his recommendation: No stiffener. Even with a fully-loaded G22 & mag carrier: It never seemed necessary.

Leather vs. synthetic? To each their own. I prefer leather, but, I cannot argue against the benefits of the infinite adjustability of synthetic belts.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10214 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikedare
posted Hide Post
Much appreciation for all the kind remarks. Its nice to see my products holding up for so many years. (maybe a little pun intended).

Posts: 153 | Location: Ludington MI | Registered: May 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Beltman
posted Hide Post
Hey folks, David Giles here (the new Beltman). First, I wanted to thank everyone for the recommendations! And second, I wanted to let everyone know that we use the same leather that Jim used (from the same supplier) as well as the same thread, dye, glue, edge ink, buckles, screws, etc. etc. Of course craftsmanship is just as important as materials, and matching Jim’s level of craftsmanship was no small challenge, but after a VERY intense apprenticeship under Jim and his employees in North Carolina, and having made well over two thousand belts since then, I’m confident that our craftsmanship is every bit as good as Jim’s and his employees’. But regardless of what I think, it’s up to longtime Beltman customers to judge whether our belts truly measure up to Jim’s legacy of craftsmanship, so I hope y’all will give us the chance to prove ourselves and to remove any asterisks from your consideration. Smile

Kellytoons, as others have pointed out, the standard single-layer belts that you linked to may do a decent job for a while, but a gun belt made from two layers of leather, glued and stitched together, will be much more laterally stable for a much longer period of time. After you’ve used the single layer belt for a while, you should try a dual layer gun belt just to see/feel the difference for yourself. Several great beltmakers were recommended and whether you get a dual layer belt from Armour, A&G, Kramer, Beltman, or any other quality beltmaker, I'm sure sure you’ll appreciate the difference. But having said that, just about any dual layer leather gun belt on the market is going to be around 1/4" thick, so if that’s an issue with your holster(s) you might need to try some other style of gun belt.

David Giles
www.thebeltman.net

Posts: 6 | Location: Heart of Dixie | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I've used leather in the past however for the past year I've been using an Ares Gear Aegis Enhanced. I work in construction 2 days a week and can carry my 229, 2 spare mags, and hang a drill off the back without much effect. I prefer this buckle style over the Cobra style, which was what was holding me back from going with the webbing style initially. The buckle used in the Aegis is flat out awesome IMO. Easy to make quick adjustments and there is no searching for the perfect hole on the belt. I can't recommend it enough.
Ares Aegis

Posts: 517 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If thickness is an issue, I recommend one of Mike's 1.5" dress belts with the internal stiffener from Armour Belts. I have several Armour belts, and while the true double layer gun belts will hold up the heaviest loads (think SS 226 with two extra mags), they often are too much for everyday carry. I've taken to ordering the dress belts with the stiffener for use everyday. They are dang near as strong and more accommodating to various holster clips and belt loops.

I've also ordered some of his 1.25" dress belts for wear with slacks/suit pants simply because his products are so much better than anything you'll find in a department store. I have a brown dress belt that I've been wearing for going on three years now and the thing looks almost brand new.

Needless to say I'm sold on his belts.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, now I'm still a bit confused, folks, so help me out.

The belt I got seems fine, strength-wise (which is to say it will definitely hold up any gun, and I suspect will also hold up under wear just fine) and at $50 including two-day shipping is impossible to beat on price.

And I understand (from the belt makers themselves, now -- thanks) that these will be thick. I tried it with my holster and pants and that seems fine.

What *doesn't* seem fine about the belt I bought is the interior is VERY rough -- like the actual hide of a cow before it's finished. When I go to that Beltman's site and look at his already made up Bullhide belts they look a lot more finished on the interior (hard to really tell, though).

Is this something any of you worry about? Obviously a smoother interior makes it easier to pull through pants -- otherwise you won't see it. But I prefer a smooth interior and if I have to pay more I guess it might be worth it (whether it's worth $50 more though is hard to say).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 366 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Beltman
posted Hide Post
Mike the rough side of the belt you bought is the "flesh" side of the hide, and a one-layer belt will always have that. It isn't really anything to "worry" about, but is just what you get with a single layer belt. Most dual-layer gun belt makers glue the two layers of leather together with the grain sides out, so you get a nice smooth surface on the outside AND inside of the belt.

Frankly the smooth inside probably wouldn't be worth spending extra money on by itself, but the other benefits certainly are (for most people at least). :-)

David Giles
www.thebeltman.net

Posts: 6 | Location: Heart of Dixie | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:
Okay, now I'm still a bit confused, folks, so help me out.

The belt I got seems fine, strength-wise (which is to say it will definitely hold up any gun, and I suspect will also hold up under wear just fine) and at $50 including two-day shipping is impossible to beat on price.

And I understand (from the belt makers themselves, now -- thanks) that these will be thick. I tried it with my holster and pants and that seems fine.

What *doesn't* seem fine about the belt I bought is the interior is VERY rough -- like the actual hide of a cow before it's finished. When I go to that Beltman's site and look at his already made up Bullhide belts they look a lot more finished on the interior (hard to really tell, though).

Is this something any of you worry about? Obviously a smoother interior makes it easier to pull through pants -- otherwise you won't see it. But I prefer a smooth interior and if I have to pay more I guess it might be worth it (whether it's worth $50 more though is hard to say).

You likely wont find out the answer as to whether your 50.00 investment was worth it until you have to replace it in 2 years, or may be not. You have a wealth of experience presented to you in the replies above from end users of the belts recommended. Id rather pay the extra 50 or so for Beltman or Armour belt because its been proven to last. Look at all the feedback in this thread alone. I was 100% happy with my Beltman I bought 5 years ago as I am today, other have had theirs longer. The extra money 5 years ago was money well spent. perhaps yours will turn out to be the same but for a few extra bucks for a critical piece of gear I wasnt going to take any chances and went with a known product that has proven to be a VALUE time and time again.

I can say the same for my Wilderness belts, my oldest is now 12 years. Armour belt is my wifes and as good as new after 2 years.

Posts: 6042 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
These professionally made belts are worth their weight in gold. There is no point in spending money on a nice holster and using a subpar belt to try and hold it up. I subscribed to this theory for a long time before I broke down and bought a belt from Ryan Grizzle and then from The Beltman. The support a "gun belt" gives is far beyond what any other stiff leather belt can do, plus they last for years. It's money well spent.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 3518 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are all saying, but as someone who carried for nearly 20 years before with a "normal" leather belt and had no issues, I'm not so convinced these belts are all that much better than the enormously thick belt I just got. But I will most likely get at least one more belt so I'll try the Beltman's and see if I like it (again, nearly double the cost and I'm unlikely to live long enough to really see if I got my money's worth :>Wink.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 366 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:
I understand what you are all saying, but as someone who carried for nearly 20 years before with a "normal" leather belt and had no issues, I'm not so convinced these belts are all that much better than the enormously thick belt I just got.

It's a question of the grain of the leather, stitching, how the stitching is done, and how much. (The stitching issues apply also to synthetic belts.)

Can you get away with a wider, thicker single-layer leather belt? Sure you can. I've a 1-1/2" single-layer DeSantis (I think) gunbelt I bought at an LGS years ago. It still "works" for OWB use, but, the difference between it and my Beltman belt for IWB is night and day. I can carry my P239 SAS IWB with the old DeSantis belt, but, it gets uncomfortable real fast. The Beltman belt? I can carry all day, IWB. And OWB? I forget it's even there, it's so comfortable.

My latest carry is a single-stack nine in a Kydex IWB holster. All very light, very thin. I've got a couple inexpensive 1-1/2" wide webbing belts from a local Army/Navy store. Very comfortable for just holding up pants. While I can, and do, wear that rig with one of those belts, I know, from experience, that a proper gunbelt will make it much more comfortable.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10214 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons: I'm not so convinced these belts are all that much better than the enormously thick belt I just got.

Trust us, they really are.

The Wilderness belts are even better IMO- you should consider them even if you presently don't like the idea. Maybe find a place that stocks them or a similar line like Uncle Mike's or 5.11. They're also a little thinner while no less up to the task. That might make a difference to you.

Posts: 6858 | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not even so much I don't like the *idea* of a synthetic belt as I don't like the look of it. I realize that *most* of the belt will be hidden, but not all of it (at least not in the wintertime, when I usually wear just an open, cover shirt or jacket). In those cases I absolutely want leather, and something nice looking.

The rest of the time it's a bit like whoever it was (and I'm too lazy to look it up) who used to buy his female dancers silk underwear despite the fact it would never been seen. When asked about this extravagence (which it was, at the time, VERY) he said "The GIRLS will know". The fact that I know I'm not wearing leather will definitely bum me out (which is the same reason I only wear a leather holster -- which is also the same reason I hate plastic guns. Then again, did I mention I'm really, really old?).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

silence is acceptance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
Look no further than Armour Belts!

http://armourbelts.com/

Mike is a great guy to do business with, fantastic product/quality, and his turn around time is excellent.

THIS!...as JRC says...look no further...you will not be disappointed in your purchase Smile

This x 2. And yes they are worth every penny. I've also had the Beltman and I think Armour Belts are superior. Unbelievably fast turn around.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So when I go to the ordering page for Armour Belts, for a gun belt, it says (in bold red): "Please be aware these will not fit most belt loops"

WTF? How is that a good gun belt? If it won't fit my pants, I can't see how I could possibly wear it.

At least on the Beltman site it doesn't suggest I will not be able to get them through my pants loops.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

posted Hide Post
Sigh. Forget the last post -- I somehow got on the 1.75 inch belt ordering page (the ordering page is weird).

Okay, so school me -- what is it about these belts you like better than the Beltman ones? I'm about ready to order so appreciate any info.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That's probably due to the double layer thickness of the belt by that maker. If it concerns you, buy the 1.5" belt. You'll lose less sleep...

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7339 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post