SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Belts for carry
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belts for carry Login/Join 
posted
I suspect this thread could go almost anywhere, but since this is very specifically a carry question I was wondering what folks out there recommend for a gun belt.

I'm looking right now at these two (on Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/Hanks-A...ords=gun%2Bbelt&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimat...words=gun+belt&psc=1

Both get excellent reviews (thousands of reviews with 5 stars), both are reasonable (the first is $50, the second $60) and both have lifetime warranties.

I've heard from some folks they prefer leather with a core of synthetic that absolutely will not bend, like these:

http://www.highnoonholsters.co...k-steady-belt-1-1-4/

That belt is a lot more money (on sale now for $85, although with shipping and tax for me will make it closer to $100, whereas I get free shipping with Amazon). But, honestly, I can't imagine a good leather belt needing some kind of reenforcement unless you are hanging something like a rifle or perhaps a whole slew of stuff off of it.

Right now I have a "regular" leather dress belt (1 1/2 inches so not one of those wimpy little ones, but a nice one) that seems to work just fine with my OWB Galco and M11A1. If THAT belt can hold up for even a year (which it has so far) then why would I need something stronger? Particularly when I get a lifetime warranty (so if it doesn't I can just get another one).

School me.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Look no further than Armour Belts!

http://armourbelts.com/

Mike is a great guy to do business with, fantastic product/quality, and his turn around time is excellent.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They look nice, but why are they any better than belts costing half as much?

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:
They look nice, but why are they any better than belts costing half as much?

Made by a very talented leather worker in the USA.
I've been wearing mine everyday for the last 3 years or so and it still looks and feels like new.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say."

Posts: 6104 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first choice: https://www.thebeltman.net/

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 537 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best leather gun belts are made from two layers of leather, with the grain in opposite directions. The result is a belt that will be flexible enough along its length to conform around your waist but have enough lateral rigidity to support a gun. This helps keep the gun close for good concealment without needing to be kept excessively tight.

A thick single layer belt may work short-term, but will eventually sag and stop supporting the gun properly. I've heard this complaint many times from people who started with the single-layer belt but then switched to a better quality double-layer belt.

Some people like the Wilderness Instructor-type belts, but I have one as well as a Beltman double-layer leather gun belt. The Beltman belt works much better for me.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 537 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
You'll indeed get some good and varied recommendations here, with mine being for A&G Custom Gunleather. I have a couple of belts from their "Quick Ship" line, as well as another that I couldn't resist from the classifieds section of another forum recently.

One thing's for sure: once you find a quality belt that works for you, nothing from the generic belt rack at the department / discount store will ever suffice again! Smile

http://agcustomgunleather.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 4991 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
The best leather gun belts are made from two layers of leather, with the grain in opposite directions. The result is a belt that will be flexible enough along its length to conform around your waist but have enough lateral rigidity to support a gun. This helps keep the gun close for good concealment without needing to be kept excessively tight.

A thick single layer belt may work short-term, but will eventually sag and stop supporting the gun properly. I've heard this complaint many times from people who started with the single-layer belt but then switched to a better quality double-layer belt.

While that makes sense, logically (as does the idea of having a layer in-between of a rigid synthetic) I've never seen this myself, at least on my own body. I have always bought (non-gun) belts that were 1 1/2 inch thick, nice quality leather, and these belts were worn for years with things at least as heavy as the gun I'm currently carrying hanging off them and they never bent.

For one thing, I'm not sure how any quality belt could "bend" given it has to pass through loops held close to your body. Now -- perhaps it's because I wear pants (almost always denim jeans nowadays) that have rigid and tough enough loops for this not to be an issue. Or perhaps there are other things I don't understand.

And, as I said, I'm currently using a Levi belt (falling into the above mentioned quality category) that for the last year has carried my M11A1 just fine, with not a hint of bend or fraying that others keep saying will happen (the reason I'm asking this question, though, is that I need another belt or two for my ever widening - sigh - waistline). I thought I'd try an actual "gun" belt but I'll look at any and all suggestions.

(And in particular, if folks have images of belts that have "failed" that would be REAL helpful).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
Look no further than Armour Belts!

http://armourbelts.com/

Mike is a great guy to do business with, fantastic product/quality, and his turn around time is excellent.

THIS!...as JRC says...look no further...you will not be disappointed in your purchase Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 6383 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Armour belts and beltman but my Wilderness Titanium belts is pretty much my go to. Ive found the bet man too thick sometime and certain clips or snap closures dont play well with it.

Posts: 6095 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6095 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

Keep the recommendations coming, though -- can never have enough ideas (or, apparently with my waist the way it is, belts).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

posted Hide Post
Will do everything a gun belt should do and more. Expensive but worth it.

https://www.bullhidebelts.com/...?variant=21096355526

Posts: 138 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
My first choice: https://www.thebeltman.net/

This would normally be my choice as well. I've got a couple of belts from The Belt Man, including the one I wear pretty much daily. However, the guy that started that business has now retired and he sold it to someone else. Granted he had the buyer be his "apprentice" for a while to learn the trade before the sale was complete. I have not purchased a belt since the company was sold so my recommendation of them now comes with an * next to it.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2782 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Jerry "thebeltman.com" did retire several years ago, however his nephew (who apprenticed under jerry) Mike now runs the business under the name Armour Belts.

www.armourbelts.com

Posts: 1115 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See? That kind of info alone is golden.

Keep it up, guys.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I wear Wilderness 3 Stitch belts every day. I have black, coyote and green. Best everyday gun belt around.

I also have a Armour nylon cobra buckle belt. I rally like it, it supports my gear well but it is tedious to put on an off. Not a fault of the maker, just the way this style belt is.

I also own an Aker dress leather belt, stiff as all heck and a custom elephant hide one from BRL that is gorgeous.

Posts: 10137 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Nexbelt

I have a few of these and like them a lot. Nice dress belt too.

Posts: 1126 | Location: CTZ Florida | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
You'll indeed get some good and varied recommendations here, with mine being for A&G Custom Gunleather. I have a couple of belts from their "Quick Ship" line, as well as another that I couldn't resist from the classifieds section of another forum recently.

One thing's for sure: once you find a quality belt that works for you, nothing from the generic belt rack at the department / discount store will ever suffice again! Smile

http://agcustomgunleather.com

+1 on A&G. I have several of his belts and they are the only belts I wear. You will also not find a better person to deal with than Al.

Posts: 84 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the belt from Hank's belt (above link) and while I think it's so solid it won't have any issues it's VERY thick. I guess that's part and parcel of having a gun belt? Because while it looks nice it's just so much thicker than any other belt I've ever owned I have some concerns over even threading holsters through it (did I say it was thick?).

So are any of your recommendations above belts (dress belts, mind you -- I'm not on a farm or ranch) a "normal" thickness? With perhaps something that strengthens them? Or is that just the price we have to pay for real leather holster quality belts? (Because I don't want to wear any synthetics).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley