SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    New to this stuff
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to this stuff Login/Join 
posted
Hi, just got CC license in KY. I am considering carrying, but have to be frank, it scares me a bit. Never grew up around guns, been shooting handguns for a few months after moving from NY. One of first things on arrival was handgun purchase.

2-3 days per week at range, also occasional lessons. I shoot a P320 Compact Nitron and a Ruger MKIV Target.

I love to shoot as often as possible. Instructors seem to think I’m a not bad shot.

Question one is is my P320C an easily manageable edc?

Should I look to get a smaller gun like a P365 or a Shield?

IWB would be my preference, change my mind.

I know this stuff is endlessly searchable, but, geez, you guys know more about this stuff than anyone else, so your honest advice is appreciated.

Sincerely, Bill

Posts: 13 | Location: Lexington KY | Registered: December 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wmeckley:

I am considering carrying, but have to be frank, it scares me a bit.
I too, was nervous about this.

I dipped my toes into the water, bit by bit.

I started by carrying an unloaded pistol, just to get used to the idea that I had a gun on my belt. Did that for a week or so, then when I was comfortable with that, on to the next step.

I then carried with a full magazine, but empty chamber, no possibility of a negligent discharge.

That was a bit of a confidence builder, and when I was ready, I started carrying with a chambered round.

A good holster is a necessity, and perhaps even more so, a good belt.

You ask about what pistol to carry. Nobody can determine that for you. You'll need to handle any (all) that you are considering and if possible, shoot them.

My personal preference is for classic SIG P2xx series pistols with traditional DA / SA triggers, but the current trend seems to favor striker fired pistols like the P320 and P365. Not my cup of tea, but I am an old dog, slow to learn new tricks.

If you have friends who carry, it would be a great idea to try to arrange some trips to the range, try their carry guns with the holsters that they use.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 13 | Location: Lexington KY | Registered: December 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
My first mistake was not having a good gun belt. There are many good ones out there and they help to make your carry gun feel lighter and even conceal smaller.

Just down from your post is a post on quality carry belts:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1410013264

But because I'm here, I'll add I really like my Nexbelt w/ a thin IWB kydex holster and single stack pistol.

ETA (Edit to add): The first few time you carry, in your mind, everyone makes eye contact because they can see you carrying. Over time you realize no one sees it or they really don't care.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
A few bits of advice.

1-Spend the money and time to get a good GUN belt. Not a good belt a good GUN BELT.

2-You will feel like you have a 60 pound tumor sticking out of your side at first but trust me nobody is paying any attention to you. You could walk around with a bright neon shirt with pink letters that says “hi my name is Chris and I have a cocked and locked .45 at my side” and nobody would notice.

3-SAFTEY SAFETY SAFETY. Use a quality holster designed for your specific gun and don’t dork around with your gun. Practice Holstering and drawing with an UNLOADED gun. ALWAYS check for clothing or straps or strings or foreign debris when holstering.

4-when taking a dump remove the holstered gun (as in the holster with the gun securely in it not the gun from the holster) and sit it in your pants in front of you. Don’t be the guy who leaves it on the toilet or TP dispenser. It is generally a PITA to pull your pants up with 2 lbs of gun and it’s just easier to re holster in my experience.

5-Do the Walmart walk for your first time. It’s a rule. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for good advice. Believe me, nothing more I hate than going to Walmart.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question one is is my P320C an easily manageable edc?

I have that very gun. No, it - or similarly sized/weight guns - is not difficult to carry. I use so-called "appendix" carry under untucked shirts (warm weather) or sweaters/sweatshirts (cool to cold weather.) Like this:

An undershirt, even a "wife beater" A-shirt, keeps bits from contacting skin directly.
There are of course substantially smaller and thinner guns around that would probably be a little more comfortable, but they don't hold 15 rounds, either.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for good advice. Believe me, nothing more I hate than going to Walmart.

New gun carriers worry about being "made," i.e., having their gun spotted. The "Walmart Walk" is a playful way of suggesting building confidence by carrying in a place with large crowds. It doesn't have to be Walmart. No, you shouldn't "print" (i.e., show the gun's outline under your clothing or expose parts of the gun itself) excessively or give away other obvious visual cues, but don't be afraid that everybody is staring at you, either. Ninety-nine 44/100 percent of people aren't paying any attention to you, or anything else around them for that matter.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, a quality gun belt is a must, as is a good quality holster with proper fit. I would also include a good carrier for a spare magazine. The P320 compact conceals well with the proper gear. You may need to make a few changes to your clothing to "dress to the gun".
My current belt is a NexBelt.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, ordered a Concealment Express IWB holster and and will look for a belt. My nephew is a cop who teaches CC. Have discussed with hime and he is encouraging me to try it as well. I have no desire to be a hero, tough guy, etc., just want my family safe.

Actually I am a somewhat reformed liberal on this subject, having changed my mind being around gun owners when I range shoot. I had to learn that nearly (with a few exceptions) all are level headed nice people and gun “nuts” at all.

Having said that, I like them, love to shoot me some guns!

Sincere thanks for all the feedback. I will let those interested know how it goes.

posted Hide Post
That should read NOT gun nuts. Although, nothing really wrong with that. I’m a car nut, watch nut, so gun nut probably OK too!

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^ Watch Nut? I'm not judging you, but if you are so inclined, you might want to visit your fellow nuts in the "Gallery" watch thread. I do not stray there. Smile

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Find an empty drawer or box to dedicate to the myriad of holsters you will cycle through! Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post
So glad you moved away from some of the liberals in NY.
I know all are not liberal plenty of gun owners in the state.

I’ve been carrying a pistol for close to 40 years.
If you ever think you are comfortable with it, time to put it in the safe a while.
It was said here before, Safety is priority 1.
Be confident but not overly so.
Know your pistol inside and out.
If you think you are not ready to pack a pistol, than don’t, wait.
I read every post in this thread and you received some great advice, especially on equipment.
Continue at the range, dry practice at home.
Follow safety and safe firearm handling rules.
With the help of your instructors and new friends at the range, you will be well informed, and well instructed and know when you feel you can start carrying.

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, good advice. By the way, I am basically a liberal who loves to shoot!

Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post
quote:

You will be converted to a full conservative once you get a taste of freedom.
You need a little rehab, clear your head, and see the light.
You’re no longer drinking your ex governor’s kool aid.
Of course you can send NY tax money if you’d like.

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many of us luv to shoot liberals also.... Wink oh wait you said............

In your parallel efforts on gun and gear....find a local IDPA league - real shooting for the common man. No race rigs and more fun than just punching paper.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Invest in quality training.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I tried holsters and such for a while. Ended up buying some guns that I can fit in a front pocket.

Not for everyone, and I've seen articles about how horrible it is - whatever...

Anyway - my point being; if the inside waistband thing doesn't work out - try something else. Cross side carry, front pocket, shoulder, who knows. You'll find something that will work for you.

Definitely agree that you should attend several good classes. Not just a CCW class, as those usually just hit the bare bones basics (if that).

Also, read a book or two (like Mas Ayoob's stuff ) about use of deadly force and the legalities of it; and the aftermath. learning to shoot straight is just part of the deal. You have to make sure you know for a fact when you can and when you shouldn't pull that gun or take a shot...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ended up buying some guns that I can fit in a front pocket.

I too do this from time-to-time, but do you at least use a pocket holster of some type? Aside from protecting access to the trigger, it keeps your pistol from getting full of pocket lint.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post