SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CCW Ammo Rotation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW Ammo Rotation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I personally think it's good insurance to never chamber the same self defense round twice, so if I clear my gun that one goes into a pile to be shot the next range trip. Other than that, I don't see any compelling need to ever rotate my ammo.

Insurance against what? You could take those rounds and compare the OAL to a new one. If there is no setback, why discard it?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I don't notice 'set back' as much with 9mm and .45acp as I notice with .357sig, so I don't rotate as much as some do. However, my pistol is always loaded until I go to the range.

I do notice the casings getting dinged up on the rims with loading and unloading. A little 400 grit sandpaper on the sharp inside edges of my magazines cured that.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Insurance against what? You could take those rounds and compare the OAL to a new one. If there is no setback, why discard it?

Read DMF's Oct 12 post. One takeaway:

This caused an internal failure of the primer, not discernable by external inspection.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I shoot my carry magazine 2-4 times a year, depending on the firearm's use.

Mag in the weapon gets fired (sometimes the reload too), then the reload goes in the pistol and the reload gets new ammo (or they both get new ammo if I shot the reload as well).

I don't have an issue reloading a single round several times, but I wouldn't do it often or for months on end. Part of the reason I have a training G19 and a carry G19. The carry gun is vetted and solid, but stays loaded. The training gun gets used for dry fire, live fire, drills, etc.

And know that any gun, any magazine, any ammunition can fail at anytime. New, used, abused. Unseen manufacturers defect or known neglect. Be ready for that and be able to work through it.

Because even in DMFs example, all other 2000 rounds fired and the failure was likely due to HUNDREDS of chamberings, not 1, or 2, or 10.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to thank DMF for posting that link.
I had not thought of the failure mode that was found by the ammo manufacturer. I was solely looking for set back and other external mechanical damage. This exchange sums it up for me now:

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Read DMF's Oct 12 post. One takeaway:

This caused an internal failure of the primer, not discernable by external inspection.

While the overall probability of a failure is likely very low, I was at higher risk with my EDC because I would rechamber one round from a six round mag at least weekly and would only change out the ammo 2 times per year. I am definitely changing my protocol.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post