SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Personal Carry: Open Carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal Carry: Open Carry Login/Join 
posted
The US 9th District Court of Appeals just overturned a ruling, and stated that the 2nd Amendment covers open carry (though states allowing open carry can restrict concealed carry). This was particular to Hawaii, where carriage is restricted, and will apply to states such as California, as well. This isn't the end of it, but the court ruled that the State of Hawaii violated George Young's rights by not allowing him a permit to open carry.

http://www.bostonherald.com/ne...s_open_carry_of_guns

There's a lot of animosity here regarding open carry. I live in a free state where open carry is common; I see it on the street, in Walmart, grocery stores, everywhere. It's very common to see motorcyclists with a sidearm. There's a lot of concealed carry, too, but open carry isn't really a second thought, here.

There are states, however, like California, where open carry and concealed carry are suppressed in draconian fashion, to the point of quashing the second amendment, and in such cases, forcing the state to accept a form of carry, any form of carry, is more than a minor victory.

More important is the precedent, and the implications in future legal struggles.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1610058444

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am not an OC guy in urban areas. Rural, fine, but around the masses, nope. I feel you give up any surprise advantage in most circumstances & unless you have the right holster & some open hand skills, you risk the gun being taken from you. If they can't see it they won try to grab at it.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
BTW the recent ruling will not get OC allowed in urban areas. Try that I LA, they will arrest you for disturbing the piece if nothing else, just to send a message. It will likely though open up ccw for more people. Consider that Kalif is the largest pop state, 39.5M people & they only issued about 115,000 permits to date. One of the highest crime states too, I wonder why??????

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
I live in Arizona, open carry or concealed carry are open options here, without a permit for either.

I personally only carry concealed, open carry takes away the element of surprise.

In shit-hits-the fan situations you just might get shot first if the stickup man spots you as he walks into some place to rob it

Also open carry may tempt some nut bag to jump you and try and wrestle your weapon away from you.

Most of the open carry I see out here is people trying to make a "Statement" by openly carrying, I'm not out to make a statement, I'm out to defend myself if the need arises.

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
There were no negatives to open carry in the 19th century.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
BTW the recent ruling will not get OC allowed in urban areas. Try that I LA, they will arrest you for disturbing the piece if nothing else, just to send a message. It will likely though open up ccw for more people. Consider that Kalif is the largest pop state, 39.5M people & they only issued about 115,000 permits to date. One of the highest crime states too, I wonder why??????

That will be interesting to see played out, I don't think you can be charged with disorderly or disturbing the peace if you are merely exercising your right...if so then every "suspicous" looking person, everybody "loitering" at a bus stop etc. is subject to arrest...I could be wrong though, that is Kali, and that is why I don't live there

Posts: 339 | Location: Lower Alabama | Registered: November 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CNYTX11
posted Hide Post
Anyone wants to OC in a jurisdiction where it is allowed -- feel free to exercise the right.If is isn't allowed and you want it changed -- push for change.

For my needs and purposes -- I prefer CC.

S&W M-66-2 (3")/ S&W M-65LS (3")/ S&W M-10 (2")/Colt Combat Commander Series 70

Posts: 651 | Location: Johnson County, KS | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:

Yeah, some people forget that it was not long ago that open carry (unloaded) was legal in CA, but it took a few activists at Starbucks to ruin even that. Legal open carry would never work in most of CA.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I don't personally like to OC, that is separate from my views on the legality of it.

I want OC legal in all sates and cities. If it freaks out the sheep, maybe that will pressure them to ease up CCW regulations to at least get them "out of sight" and cut down on the freaked out "someone has a gun!" 911 calls.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post