SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Federal LEO Carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal LEO Carry Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,
My brother retired from the US Army reserves as an MP and recently found out he is eligible for LEO carry. He applied for it and just got it. The good thing for him is he lives in a state that won't issue CCW permits. Plus now he can carry in any state. I wish they would do this for citizens.

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that retired MPs were eligible for LEOSA carry. That's great to hear!

Posts: 11 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onni:
I didn't realize that retired MPs were eligible for LEOSA carry. That's great to hear!

I don't know the exact rules but almost anyone who had powers of arrest are eligible. So, even a part time officer or an auxiliary police officer could get this if they did it for more than 10 years.

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same discussion (with many more replies) going on here:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7640075224

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The only thing that Bill Clinton should be thanked for...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

What did Clinton have to do with LEOSA? It was introduced as a bill in January 2003, and signed into law by George W. Bush in July 2004.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

What did Clinton have to do with LEOSA? It was introduced as a bill in January 2003, and signed into law by George W. Bush in July 2004.

You are correct. For some reason I thought Clinton did one decent thing during his presidency...aside from Monica in the Oval Office.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
It was in 2013 an amendment to LEOSA was enacted allowing military and DoD police and law enforcement officers with UCMJ apprehension authority to qualify for the statute.

It's taken quite a few years for the military to get around to issuing the necessary credentials to qualified military personnel.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ex-fiance is an MP, and living in NY getting her permit is a pain. She left before she ever did anything with it, but it was her plan to try for the LEOSA permit.

Of course, I've heard from mutual acquaintances that she became a police officer since then, so it may have become a moot point...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Same discussion (with many more replies) going on here:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7640075224

Thanks Sismund. I had started that post and then could not find it. I thought it may not have been submitted so started this one.

Kevin