SIGforum
What can I carry for SD in DC?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/6590009024

March 12, 2017, 04:45 PM
Paragon
What can I carry for SD in DC?
The gun is out, of course. Damn.

I read that any knives have to have a utility use.

What is the deal?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
March 12, 2017, 05:03 PM
Fenris
I am no expert, but I think anything carried for SD is verboten.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
March 12, 2017, 06:44 PM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I am no expert, but I think anything carried for SD is verboten.

Cane? Umbrella? Your effective choices are close to zero.

Isn't it amazing how much effort law abiding citizens expends to obey the laws???
March 12, 2017, 07:31 PM
Paragon
Sooo....knives are legal if part of a Swiss army thing? D.C. is a confusing place.

http://www.knifeden.com/knife-laws-in-washington-d-c/

NRA Range Safety Officer
March 12, 2017, 09:56 PM
SigFan
A tactical pen such as the Tuff-Writer and/or a Kuboton-sized flash such as the EPLI.

Or, if you think you can manage it, and you can get one to along with it, you can carry a cop! Razz

Seriously, though, stay safe in D.C.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)
March 12, 2017, 10:55 PM
Fenris
I seriously do my best to avoid that fetid, and festering cesspool of human degradation.

Whatever is most wrong in America can be found in DC. When they drained the swamp the first time they accidentally left the politicians and bureaucrats.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
March 13, 2017, 08:57 AM
Triggernosis
Boxing gloves are about the only legal option in D.C..

Tango Alpha Leather Goods
March 13, 2017, 12:38 PM
pjmontymn
We went to DC last spring. Had a pen that I was not allowed to take into the Holocaust Museum. The n the have the nerve to ask how we prevent something like this happening again? How about we do not disarm a peaceful society?

Patrick
March 20, 2017, 04:17 PM
Sportshooter
Have you considered carrying a cane? Another geezer and I are getting some training in the defensive use of a good ol' hickory cane. We have new respect for a cane as a defensive weapon. When I can't carry concealed, I carry my cane. They can be carried anywhere at all without any hassle because it's a medical device. Plus, you don't have to prove that you actually need to carry it.

There are lots of YouTube videos showing the techniques and such, but just watching a few videos is not the way to go. Start here Link

Canemasters has a list of instructors. There may be one near you. Check it out.
March 20, 2017, 07:09 PM
feersum dreadnaught
http://unbreakableumbrella.com

$130, and looks like you could jack someone fairly well with it...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
March 20, 2017, 08:00 PM
ArtieS
V-Tail carries the cane of death. I have a healthy respect for that piece of hickory...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
March 20, 2017, 10:27 PM
Chowser
My daughter was in DC last year for a school trip and bought a Swiss Army knife at some museum and was promotly told she wasn't allowed in with it but they sell it?!. Her teacher was cool and took possession of it and gave it back to my daughter on the bus ride home.

The teacher got some crap for it from some of the libtard parent chaperones. When I picked her up from the bus they came to me and were outraged my daughter bought a knife. I laughed at them and said she bought a tool. Pulled out my HK OTF knife and in my best Crocodile Dundee voice said This is a knife while deploying it. One parent actually fainted. Those are the types of people making the laws in DC.

DC is strange. My last visit was over ten years ago. Visiting the FBI building they made me lock up my gun but let me keep my knives. Museums and other places would let me bypass the detectors and keep my gun once I showed me LE creds. I did tell them I was not on official duty but they let me in. Not sure how it is nowadays and I know they don't care about other states carry permits.

My suggestion is to buy a bunch of throwaway keys on a keychain as a makeshift kubaton. It looks innocuous and keys aren't illegal but they hurt like the dickens. And always be aware of your surroundings.

Not minority enough!
March 27, 2017, 07:53 PM
Heiduke
A secret service detachment

"We should bring back dueling, it would improve manners."
-Ed Abbey

April 03, 2017, 06:32 AM
Paragon
I think I may just go with a flashlight. Been looking at improvised weapons, like a rolled up magazine. If I take a cane, I won't come home with it. Ill leave it somewhere.

I will be extra vigilant.

NRA Range Safety Officer
April 03, 2017, 01:55 PM
msfzoe
Fenris,
You have a way with words.
April 03, 2017, 03:26 PM
www.handgunlaw.us is you friend.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford
April 03, 2017, 06:44 PM
Syngin1066
How about a Petzl locking carabiner? They make great giant keychains and a decent set of brass knuckles in a pinch. I have flown dozens of times with my keys on one in my carry on.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...
May 01, 2017, 05:53 PM
Paragon
I went into a Walmart and bought a little Gerber.

Drove my friend crazy with my paranoia after that.

Ended up shipping some things home at the UPS store, and I threw the knife in there too.

NRA Range Safety Officer
May 03, 2017, 05:07 PM
markand
DC recently repealed their bans on stun guns and the registration requirement for pepper spray. All of this is a result of a federal court ruling in New England. A local attorney filed suit in DC and DC caved - the city council repealed the contested ordinances before they had to shell out much money for a case they were sure to loose.

So, it would appear you can "arm" up with pepper spray and a stun gun.
May 07, 2017, 06:59 AM
USAFA71
How about a Democrat?

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.