SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    How do you carry while kayaking?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you carry while kayaking? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Boatfishing? I just use the normal IWB holster.

I'm new to kayaking, but friends are proposing a kayak float trip next weekend.

I expect to get wet.

Got recommendations?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Same.

But, I am the first to admit, IWB from seated is not optimal for presenting quickly.

I think the fastest would be cross-draw on a chest rig (concealment issues aside).

Engaging from a kayak has its own issues--lack of stable platform to shoot from, and lack of cover to begin with.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I would think a Kenai chest holster or a Hill People Gear Kit Bag would be my choice.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a camelback hydration pack with a pocket large enough for a G26. Not ideal, but it’s with me.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I would think a Kenai chest holster or a Hill People Gear Kit Bag would be my choice.

I have both of these. I use the Kenai for hunting and the HPG for bicycling. I’ve actually got the snubby kit bag and the recon kit bag. The snubby kit bag has a smaller footprint. None of these are going to keep your firearm dry though.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend that you "dummy cord" your pistol to yourself. It would be easy to lose in the water.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

I have both of these. I use the Kenai for hunting and the HPG for bicycling. I’ve actually got the snubby kit bag and the recon kit bag. The snubby kit bag has a smaller footprint. None of these are going to keep your firearm dry though.

True. I would only consider this with a Glock. Could use a ziplock inside the HPG bag.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And your chest rig needs to work with your flotation vest.
I think if I was an avid kayaker, I would find someone to sew MOLLE Strips into the interior of the vest and use a MOLLE Kydex rig to paddle with.
Velcro may not work due to a reduced grip when wet.
Other suggestion:
Try a "Throw Over" holster rig. I have one to use with bulky coats and it gives you a lot of options as to moving your pistol around on your body. I have one but cant recall who made it, so Google is your friend.
And getting wet is a fact.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to avoid open carry? I’d imagine attaching a tek-lok to a PFD for chest carry would be optimal while kayaking. Just take a fishing pole and toss a line a few times.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've considered it, but never done it. I canoe, not kayak, but the risks of getting wet are kind of similar. I'd only carry on body if I could "dummy cord" the gun as has been noted, but I don't have any pistols or revolvers with lanyard loops.

I have considered carrying in my gear bag, but would want to put enough styrofoam, or other floaty stuff (empty bottle, etc) in there to make sure it wouldn't sink, or tie the bag to the canoe.

I've been struggling with this a bit, as I want to have a gun handy, and have three all stainless candidates to use, but I don't have any that I'm willing to lose in a boating accident. Er, I mean, that I haven't already lost in a boating accident...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Kayaking can be dynamic, so my priority would be to just have a weapon available, but not necessarily be "carrying". So any weapon, like a cheap glock, full mag, empty chamber, in a baggie, dummy corded in a backpack or something.

Or go uber small, Ruger LCP / J-frame in a bag in a zipped pocket. I've done that at the beach and both stayed dry.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Watch Deliverance and go from there. Big Grin j/k A buddy of mine uses a Camelbak MULE plus ziplocks on day trips.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Most modern kayaks I avoid running over with my sailboat Wink are made from floating plastic material.

Any small waterproof bag that can be attached to a solid tie-down within your reach will work. The bag can be something that appears or actually does store lures or your lunch. I'm thinking about comfort in the Summer heat and not having a brick attached to me all day.

I don't know what FL open carry laws permit, I would first opt for a chest rig that works with my PDF, then a thigh holster that places the pistol on top not the side of the leg, and finally a fanny pack slung across your front.

What size handgun are you considering, are you concerned about swamp people or alligators?

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

What size handgun are you considering, are you concerned about swamp people or alligators?

J-frame and one speed strip.

I don't anticipate any conflict with gators or swamp people; I'd feel so stupid having to explain to my instructors and family,

"Well, just this one time I left it home, and turns out, needed it."

Ya know?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Since you brought up family and instructors, here is an option you probably want to avoid:

Guarder Holster Roll Eyes

but just in case you might, I will post the link ~ not the pics or video Big Grin

Company website:
www.CanCanConcealment.com/collections/Garters

Demonstration video:
www.YouYube.com/watch?time_continue=53&v=uHhLYaFaHLI

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a S&W Shield 45 in a DeSantis retention strap leather holster. All is fine until I go from sitting to standing to fly fish. The gun tends to get hung up in the seat-stay strap, I have to be careful. I do not worry about the gun getting wet. It isn't allergic to water. My duty guns saw worse than a dunking in a lake.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the weather like where you are going? Are you going to wear shorts or light weight pants?

Do you own your our own PFD, do you plan on wearing one the whole time.

Is speed and accessibility or concealment more important?

One could even go as far as asking if you are going to be using a sit on top or sit in Kayak and if you are going to be using a skirt or not.

While I've done some kayaking, I'm no expert. I'd avoid putting anything inside your vest where it can rub and bother you. If your vest has a large zip able pocket you could put something like a small auto or revolver and then tie it off to the vest. I had my own PFD and having the pistol concealed in it would be the way I'd go. I'm of the school of thought that the vest goes on when launch and doesn't come off until you are out of the water YMMV.

Another option is a fanny pack or dry bag that you attach to the kayak. That way it bother you while you paddle.

I'd use a stainless steel pistol or revolver and then just clean and oil it when you are if you are going to be in fresh water. I'm no expert on salt water, maybe one of our USMC members can weigh in.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have pelican dry boxes in both my kayak and boat that I store my gun, wallet, cell phone, flashlight, car keys, money clip, etc when I'm ready to leave the dock. In the boat the dry box is in one of the storage compartments and in the kayak it is on a short lanyard in the hatch right in front of the seat.

I'm comfortable with just having it available while I'm on the water vs readily available for a quick draw.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I have pelican dry boxes in both my kayak and boat that I store my gun, wallet, cell phone, flashlight, car keys, money clip, etc when I'm ready to leave the dock. In the boat the dry box is in one of the storage compartments and in the kayak it is on a short lanyard in the hatch right in front of the seat.

I'm comfortable with just having it available while I'm on the water vs readily available for a quick draw.

Second this. Been doing it this way for years.

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i’d use a shoulder holster like any of many tanker’s type holsters.

They are:

1. Secure
2. Keep the pistol out of your way
3. It “might” keep your pistol dryer

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post