SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    AIWB Revisit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AIWB Revisit Login/Join 
posted
Over a year ago bought a Incog AIWB holster for my G19. Faster draw speed, concealed great... It was not comfortable for me sitting or leaning over. Gun rolled over my belt line, bottom of holster dug in. Believe the nose of the holster is too wide. The hot spot for me is the lower corner where the clip mounts. Also tried a G17 in it, slightly more comfortable, still no good. Incog went into the box of holsters.

A friend is about to get a CCW and asked about the AIWB. Shared my experience with the Incog. We talked about other AIWB offerings that use a wedge, JM Customs and the like. Gave me the idea to add a wedge to the Incog. Cut a piece of foam from a Pelican case cut out, taped it to the bottom of the holster. Definitely more comfortable, OK there something to this wedge thing. The wedge pushed the bottom of the holster away for a more straight down re-holster also pushed the grip into my stomach. Both good things.

In the last year been working hard on my speed. I know the AIWB is faster, wonder how much faster? Headed to the range with my holster of the last few years, CompTac Mtac at 3:00, countless draws on it. Wearing a heavy fleece pullover. Set up a 8" plate at 7ds. Loaded a 17rd mag for the G19, one draw/shot recorded the times. Swapped to the Incog, practiced drawing/dry fired a few dozen times mostly to get the clocking of my grip just right. Shot 17rds using it. I was surprised by the difference of the two average times, .31 seconds faster with the Incog. Going to give the AIWB another try with a holster I believe is better designed for AIWB. Will order a JM Customs soon for a G17. Hopefully it doesn't find a home in the box.

Oh, keep the "your going to shoot your junk off" comments to yourself.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You're going to shoot your junk off.........(now that I have that out of the way)

I have been long resistant to AIWB. I have a bunch of friends that really like it. I, like you, have just never found it comfortable. Some of them are pretty heavy hitters. Till one day, Piedrarc sent me a AIWB holster made by Mastermind Tactics. I now own five of them. Hands down, it is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn. The wedge makes it so comfortable. I drove down to Hilton Head Island recently from Kentucky and wore the holster comfortably all the way. Yeah, I was concealing a Gen5 G17. And a reload. The foam wedge makes the holster so comfortable, and it puts no pressure on your back.

I can't deny it. I am faster on the draw from concealment. The timer just doesn't lie. I really like AIWB now with the Mastermind Tactics holsters. And you'll shoot your junk off.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I got my Werkz M5 holster in for my Glock 32 with TLR-7 today. I'm trying it AIWB and so far so good. I just make sure I route my seatbelt behind it so my seatbelt is against my body. Liking it so far, just a t-shirt covers it nicely.

It works at the hip too if I want to move it back to where I usually carry.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I went to AIWB a few years ago. It makes the gun more accessible in just about every situation, whether sitting (in a chair or driving a car) or standing/walking. It conceals easily under an untucked shirt tail or a sweater/sweatshirt. I promise to indemnify all the "you'll shoot your junk off!" crowd. Razz Not being able to get to your gun isn't safe either. I have AIWBs from Cook's, but see some room for improvement.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

[picture of holster]

I have a holster of almost identical design to that one ordered from Freedom Holsters This is for a CZ P-01, which for some reason is a little hard to find holsters for. Hope this outfit is legit. They showed padding/wedges but I didn't order one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m liking it. It allows easy access to the gun while driving.

Ignore dad gut.

I have the seatbelt routed behind it as a nurse friend suggested since she’s seen what a seatbelt will do with a gun against a person’s abdomen in a crash.

I haven’t worked up the courage to holster yet. I always remove the holster to reholster the gun then put the whole thing back on the belt.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
AIWB is a great carry position. Speed plus access. I love it so much, my holster drawer is full of pieces I picked up and wore for varying lengths of time b/4 moving on to something else.

The last few years I've been very happy running a Raven Vanguard with a wing.

Then a few months back I tried the Raven Eidolon with a wing and a wedge. I was blown away. The holster looked HUGE compared to my Vanguard and I was skeptical. But I was wrong. The wing/wedge combo was both more comfortable and more concealed then my vanguard. Plus it supports optics, suppressor sights, and threaded barrels. It may cost a few extra bucks, but it's been worth it.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're going to shoot your junk off.........(now that I have that out of the way)

I have been long resistant to AIWB. I have a bunch of friends that really like it. I, like you, have just never found it comfortable. Some of them are pretty heavy hitters. Till one day, Piedrarc sent me a AIWB holster made by Mastermind Tactics. I now own five of them. Hands down, it is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn. The wedge makes it so comfortable. I drove down to Hilton Head Island recently from Kentucky and wore the holster comfortably all the way. Yeah, I was concealing a Gen5 G17. And a reload. The foam wedge makes the holster so comfortable, and it puts no pressure on your back.

I can't deny it. I am faster on the draw from concealment. The timer just doesn't lie. I really like AIWB now with the Mastermind Tactics holsters. And you'll shoot your junk off.

Thank you for mentioning Mastermind. Their AIWB page is very informative: https://www.mastermindtactics....-built-aiwb-holsters

Would really, really, really like to consistently carry AIWB. So far, have purchased about four for this, but have not found the right combination.

Unfortunately, time and old age are not helping with getting (back) into this carry style either.

Mr. Chowser mentioned "daddy gut" and I can relate to a higher level...

Really don't want to ask this, as I am thinking of trying a plastic holster for this for the first time, as I have been committed to leather, but is AIWB feasible only for those folks who are svelte or can us folks who are old and affected by gravity get with the program ?

Thanks and God Bless !

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have not tried AIWB, I am pretty sure that my “Dunlop” would not allow for this type of carry in my case.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
How do you guys keep from printing when carrying AIWB?
I'm in pretty good shape without any belly and unless I'm wearing a thick coat or sweatshirt I look like I have a horror show of a hernia. I've tried several quality holsters for my G26 an so far no joy. It must be me.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I'm in pretty good shape without any belly and unless I'm wearing a thick coat or sweatshirt I look like I have a horror show of a hernia. I've tried several quality holsters for my G26 an so far no joy. It must be me.

Try different positions on the waist. I find about 1:30-2:00 disappears under a tshirt, while closer to 12 will print the top corner of the slide and bulge out the front.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I too am in good shape. From trying a few different AIWB holsters, different size pistols... My conclusion is a larger frame/longer barrel pistols conceal better and are more comfortable. The longer the holster along with a wedge the more leverage against the grip. When seated the the longer holster/muzzle goes between my legs, not into one. I'll order a G17 holster, carry a G19. See how it goes might move to a G17.

Spencer Keeper talks about longer holsters here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V25JBR-TXX0

I believe part of the reason for the faster draw from concealment is it naturally puts my support hand in the right position as I bring up the pistol. Also allowing to easily "roll" my support hand into my grip.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just started carrying appendix a few months ago and bought a Gcode Incog. Nice holster but no claw or wedge so I want to try something else.

Where do most folks carry in appendix? I squat down at work a lot throughout the day and found I had to go right about dead center of my body with the muzzle otherwise it would poke me in a very painful way on my thigh.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

It must be you. I know a bunch of guys that have really low body fat that AIWB SIG P229s for their job and make it disappear under a polo or T shirt.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
Another benefit to consider that I don't see discussed very often is AIWB retention. It's a lot easier to steal a gun off somebody carrying at ~4:00 (grab their gun arm from behind, steal gun) than it is to pull a gun off of somebody's crotch. It's one of the top reasons I prefer AIWB.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It must be you. I know a bunch of guys that have really low body fat that AIWB SIG P229s for their job and make it disappear under a polo or T shirt.

I carry at 1 o'clock and my 19 or even my 34 disappear under a t-shirt or a polo. If you can do 20 push-ups, then you should have enough chest to get some drape over the waist. It doesn't take much.

I even know a few guys with bit of a gut Big Grin.
They just move the pistol closer to 2 o'clock and get the same or better concealment as their old strong-side carry. Plus if they ever find themselves knocked on their kiester they can still access their pistol.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
I'm carrying a M11-A1 in a High Noon Public Secret and carry between 2 and 3 o'clock. No digging into my thigh like trying to carry at 1 o'clock and it works well enough with sitting and driving. It would be great to carry at noon or 1, but it just isn't happening.

I like the Public Secret for the reverse J clip that they use, although there has been some wear on the slide (shiny spot) from the pressure where the clip rivet is located. Jayson from High Noon said to ease up a notch on the belt and carry at 2 o'clock.

Might be due for another gun belt, in the near future; tend to be tough on them...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:

Where do most folks carry in appendix?

Think of your waist like a clock, with 12:00 being the front center of your body (or your belly button). I like to put the leading edge of the holster/top of the slide about 12:30.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pointers guys.
I guess I'll keep trying different holster/location combos til I find what works for me. I've used the concealment claw but haven't tried the wedge yet so that will probably be next.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Ralston of 5 Shot Leather makes an awesome leather AIWB, the SME. His has the wing and it really tucks the grip towards your body. 20+ years of carrying the P220 and nothing was better; quicker on the presentation and the best holster for my aged back.
Even for some long days or drives or desk time! Wish I had it decades earlier.
As with any platform but especially with AIWB, commit serious training time prior to going "hot!"

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post