SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    AIWB Revisit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AIWB Revisit Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Mark Garrity's In-Victus. I bought one from a member here for my 239. It is by far the most comfortable AIWB I own. It's not cheap but worth the money.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
How do you guys keep from printing when carrying AIWB?
I'm in pretty good shape without any belly and unless I'm wearing a thick coat or sweatshirt I look like I have a horror show of a hernia. I've tried several quality holsters for my G26 an so far no joy. It must be me.

You have to start looking into small details why and what you're printing. AIWB can and does print in a variety of ways. The grip if it is not tucked in, which happens with a number of holsters that don't have active tuck features; mentioned above Incog is one of the examples. Shorter slides with less torsional stability around the belt, as already mentioned above. The colostomy effect that you're describing.
Striker guns generally have a longer ejection port to back of the slide dimension than hammer guns, and Glock is very blocky at the end of the slide, it can easily print there. Most of my Glocks have slides radiused on the back. Tall rear sights can print too; I moved from Heinies to Ameriglos. On more concealable guns the gun doesn't print but holster loops might.

I've been carrying AIWB since '11, various guns from Glock 43 to Beretta 92 to full sized 1911, and a bunch in between. I own or owned just about every AIWB holster on the market, with exception of those thin straight drop ones like Incog etc. Reality of that is that AIWB prints one way or another, unless one just stands motionless in front of a mirror to snap that photo that they post on their favorite website. Another bit of reality that people have different tolerance for printing; one person's "concealment" is another person's "cover". You can mitigate printing by choice of gun, holster, ride height vs speed compromise, clothing, but it might take a fair deal of time and trial.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see your radiused Glocks. Can you post a pic?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I typically wear untucked shirts, or in cooler weather sweaters or sweatshirts. With the holsters I currently have, I have noticed a tiny bit of "print" at the butt end of the gun. But I don't care. It isn't enough to worry about. Carrying guns is a lot easier when you think in terms of "unobtrusive" rather than "not even the tiniest little hint."

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I'd like to see your radiused Glocks. Can you post a pic?

Bulldog, I haven't had a chance to figure out a good web photo storage ever since the photobucket became terrible. Tried the Dropbox and it didn't work well. However, if you followed this link http://www.bowietacticalconcep...signatureglocks.html
they look just like that. Bowie did two of mine, and Mark Housel did two more when he was milling my other Glocks for RDS. He doesn't have this advertised but he did a very nice job.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Carrying guns is a lot easier when you think in terms of "unobtrusive" rather than "not even the tiniest little hint."

There are different circumstances and different consequences of being made for different people.

posted Hide Post
Thanks YVK.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Take a look at Mark Garrity's In-Victus. I bought one from a member here for my 239. It is by far the most comfortable AIWB I own. It's not cheap but worth the money.

very glad you like it Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do, thanks.

posted Hide Post
I had owned two of those. Sold because I prefer a thicker wedge but the In-Victus indeed is great appendix rig. Many of its features were first in the industry and have been copied by other makers.

posted Hide Post
I've been carrying AIWB for awhile now with a P225, so decent size gun. I made my own rig, shamelessly copying the T-Rex Arms "sidecar." https://www.trex-arms.com/store/sidecar-appendix-rig/

I added what they call the "raptor claw", the piece that pushes against the belt, I also made a foam wedge out of dense foam used to form kydex. The grip still wants to print, I wear un-tucked shirts, preferably with a pattern.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yes AIWB is a bit faster, but no one wins a gunfight based on speed of draw to 1st shot. I carry @ 3:30 & practice one handed draws on the timer at contact. Breaking 1sec to first shot oon target is not that hard. AWIB might get me to 3/4sec?
For me ccw is about comfort so I carry & not pointing the muzzle at important parts of my body all day, especially during a violent encounter, drawing one handed.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Yes AIWB is a bit faster, but no one wins a gunfight based on speed of draw to 1st shot. I carry @ 3:30 & practice one handed draws on the timer at contact. Breaking 1sec to first shot oon target is not that hard. AWIB might get me to 3/4sec?
For me ccw is about comfort so I carry & not pointing the muzzle at important parts of my body all day, especially during a violent encounter, drawing one handed.

This is some great information to have. Here all this time I’ve been getting onto my folks for having a slow assed draw, but now I find out from you that it just doesn’t matter.

Have you announced this to the bad guys yet so they know? Or are they still trying to get the gun out and on me fast? This is information that I’m going to need to know before I gut my current training program and adopt a 5 second draw, because as you said it just doesn’t matter.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If the S has HTF to the point of gunfire, why not take every possible advantage, even just a quarter second?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If the S has HTF to the point of gunfire, why not take every possible advantage, even just a quarter second?

There is no reason not to. Fast hits is what wins. Saying that time doesn't matter is a fools proposition. It usually comes from people who don't train for people better than them. They believe canned statistics that have no actual backing because it satisfies what they want to believe. Usually you hear this argument that time doesn't matter in reference to splits shot to shot. But it does matter. Fast hits are always better than slow because there are always people better/luckier than us. And that is who we train for.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:

This is some great information to have. Here all this time I’ve been getting onto my folks for having a slow assed draw, but now I find out from you that it just doesn’t matter.

Have you announced this to the bad guys yet so they know? Or are they still trying to get the gun out and on me fast? This is information that I’m going to need to know before I gut my current training program and adopt a 5 second draw, because as you said it just doesn’t matter.

I was hoping to hear about one handed draw on contact part.