SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do you prefer the std 15 degree FBI draw angle for strong side hip carry ?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do you prefer the std 15 degree FBI draw angle for strong side hip carry ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Do you prefer the std 15 degree FBI draw angle for strong side hip carry ? I find it a little too much rake because I like to carry at 3:00 to 3:30 or so, rather than 4 to 5 oclock.

I'm thinking a 5 degree cant. What say you ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I like the 15 degree most days, but I carry OWB in a Blackhawk 3 slot leather holster around 4:30 past the blade of my hip.
For competition, I normally have my pistol in a neutral cant kydex holster right at 3:00

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Report This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
For competition and range time, I like a straight drop, mid ride holster. For carry, I like the forward cant because I think it helps with concealment.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Report This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
In the last few years, my carry position has changed from 4:30ish to 3:30ish. Subsequently, I began to change degrees of cant from 15 or 10 to straight drop. Most everything I buy these days is straight drop.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a low ride holster with a 15 degree cant, I just seem to get a better grip with that combo.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to prefer 3pm with straight drop but, as others have noted, it's harder to conceal (I carry an M11A1) and turns out to be a lot less comfortable for me. But I have shoulder issues that, at the time, kept me from carrying further back.

My shoulder is going through a good period for the last few months, and I've migrated the carry back to 4pm which is much more concealable and comfortable and the FBI cant is perfect for an easy draw from that position.

So I'd say the consensus is where you draw from. If you just reach with your shoulder going straight up you'll see that at 3pm no cant is the easier draw, whereas if you start angling your shoulder away from the body you need that cant to get the right angle. If you carry at 3:30 I'd say the FBI is a better draw.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 383 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Straight drop for me. Since I wore a duty rig for years, the straight drop closely matches the angle of my old duty holster.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I carry around the 4:00 position and the 15 degree cant works well.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
3:30 and 10 degrees works for me.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

Is your 10 degree holster custom leather made to order ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Used to be straight drop; now I prefer the 15 degree cant for carry.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

Is your 10 degree holster custom leather made to order ?

No sir, X Concealment kydex.

Edit: it also appears that Dustin at Ozarks Holster makes 10 degree holsters as well. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tigereye313,

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
The 15 degree cant is designed for both better concealment and better weapon retention.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I prefer 15 degree cant at about 3:30. My kydex holsters ride fairly low which I like but without any cant it would be difficult to get a good grip on the pistol for drawing.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I carry at "3 O'clock" and prefer a straight drop with my Glock 27. With the Glock 22 I use a 10 degree cant to aid with concealment.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit of cant works well for me if the weapon is a bit behind the hip. From 0900, clockwise, to 0300, I prefer straight drop. Whether I carry at 0300/0900, or just a bit behind the hip, depends upon the weapon, the pants, and the belt.

The weapons I wear a bit behind the hip, in a canted holster, include large revolvers and the 1911. I would rather a small revolver, or Glock, be at, or forward of, 0900/0300, in a straight-drop holster.

I can live with the typical FBI cant, but prefer a bit less, probably five to ten degrees. This is probably because I prefer 0330, rather than 0430.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Report This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
With full sized and almost full sized pistols I found I have to use the FBI cant or the grip sticks out too much. Since I've been carrying a G26 I can use a straight drop cant and the pistol hides just fine. I tend to carry 3-3:30.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much always carried revolvers and pistols at 3:30 strong side. I like the forward cant.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking a 5 degree cant. What say you ?

Generally, the further back you wear your holster, the more cant you need. It follows that you need less cant the further forward you carry. So your reasoning is sound. But I don't know offhand of anybody making an "in-between" cant. They're either 15° or 0°.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
JM Custom Kydex and others offer a variety on cant angles.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/IWB3.html

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post