SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do you prefer the std 15 degree FBI draw angle for strong side hip carry ?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do you prefer the std 15 degree FBI draw angle for strong side hip carry ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
JM Custom Kydex and others offer a variety on cant angles.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/IWB3.html

I'm impressed with his offerings, and various options, including custom cant. Thanks VERY much grump.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Findlayref19
posted Hide Post
This may seem odd, but I use almost a 45 degree cant OTW high ride @ about 3:30. The draw is a bit odd when standing, but it makes the weapon easy to get to when seated or in the car. Re- holstering is also a slower more deliberate act.

Posts: 4 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 05, 2015Report This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
10 degree here and it's standard with Raven Phantoms.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1271 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I just bought my first Kydex carry holster. Discussed it with the maker, PJ Holster, and he suggested, for a 3:30 to 4 o'clock carry, a 15° to 20° cant. I went with 15°. Works like a champ. Draws very nicely & I can re-holster neatly and cleanly without looking or feeling for the holster.

Only disadvantage is that does raise the grip of the pistol and makes it print a bit more than it otherwise might. Not a problem with a loose cover garment, but a couple of my t-shirts are more form-fitting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
NO Straight drop for me. Smile

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:
I've migrated the carry back to 4pm which is much more concealable and comfortable and the FBI cant is perfect for an easy draw from that position.
4am works pretty well, too. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I carry at "3 o'clock."

With a small gun like a baby Glock, I carry with no cant. The gun still conceals well and it's a good angle for drawing the gun.

For larger guns, like my Glock 22, I carry with a 10 degree cant. It helps the gun conceal better, but is not canted so much that it slows the draw.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
15 is a little excessive for 3:00, but 3:30-4 is fine.

posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun, holster and clothing I'm wearing.

For my daily carrying; Glock 17, Classic IWB by Blade-Tech which usually sits on the hip with about a 10° cant.

Now if I'm wearing "professional" attire; I would go with a Glock 17 in a VMII behind the hip. The VMII is a 15° cant.

quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Do you prefer the std 15 degree FBI draw angle for strong side hip carry ? I find it a little too much rake because I like to carry at 3:00 to 3:30 or so, rather than 4 to 5 oclock.

I'm thinking a 5 degree cant. What say you ?

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually 3 o'clock, straight drop, mid ride,1.5 inch clip over. Dara also offers multiple cants .

posted Hide Post
For me, a bit of cant (or maybe a lot haha) is perfectly fine for carrying on the strong-side hip, but I find it a pain to actually draw with cant (15 degrees, in my case).

Personally, I am thinking of trying some straight-drop holsters next...

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Because my duty holster is straight drop I try to have all my carry holsters straight drop as well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I like the added cant for carry behind the hip. I tend to carry 330-4 o clock and the cant makes it easier to conceal the grip. It requires torquing your wrist a bit more than normal on the draw but that hasn't become a problem for me yet.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
I like the 15 degree cant at 4pm

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I prefer a 10-15 degree cant. Even with holsters worn directly on the hip at 3:00. I can't do straight-drop holsters. The draw feels too unnatural.

Posts: 32425 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I prefer 0 degree cant.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post